advertisement

Favourite Live Albums

Here and Now - All over the Show
The Byrds - Live at the Albert Hall 1971 (They'd gone shit in the studio, but were transcendental jammers like the Grateful Dead live in their last two years)
Hunter/Ronson - Welcome to the club
The Band - Rock of Ages
Hawkwind - Live in Lewisham '80 (Parts of this are on 'This is Hawkwind, do not Panic', but the whole thing is on the Levitation bonus discs)

Re thin lizzy it was not reconstructed it was only a couple of parts one was were a mike failed and a baseline. I have a this before Visconti got his hands on it. Also check out the DVD nothing was done on that

51MzANowrVL.jpg

Few more to add to the mix:

Portishead - live at Roseland
Magnolia Electric Co - Trials & Errors
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Nocturne
Laura Marling - live version of Semper Femina

OK,
loads of great albums that I love and own listed so far, but i'm also going to go for 'Toyah, Toyah, Toyah' Live at the Lafayette Club in Wolverhampton 1980. I know, even now I hear the groans, but it's a great live Album and gives some idea of what Toyah was really about. Have a listen to 'Danced' with the volume up - Brilliant stuff.
Cheers,
Alan.

OK,
loads of great albums that I love and own listed so far, but i'm also going to go for 'Toyah, Toyah, Toyah' Live at the Lafayette Club in Wolverhampton 1980. I know, even now I hear the groans, but it's a great live Album and gives some idea of what Toyah was really about. Have a listen to 'Danced' with the volume up - Brilliant stuff.
Cheers,
Alan.

Toyah was on R4 The Reunion with several other women from the early days of punk. Interesting. Not hugely insightful but if you like Toyah it's well worth a listen.

Allman Bros Band "At Fillmore East"
Santana "Lotus"
Derek&Dominos "In concert"
Doors "Absolutely live" or "Felt Forum/Live in New York"
Lou Reed "Take no prisoner"
Grateful Dead..Live/Dead,Bears Choice,Europe '72,Live '71,Three from vault
Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus"
Hendrix "Band of gypsys"
Rare Earth "Get ready"..right now listening to this,B side...
Muddy Waters "Live" legacy edition,disc 2
Weather Report "Live in Tokyo"..this is freaky :)
Miles Agartha/Pangea/Dark Magus..also freaky :)
Jarrett At The Blue Note/disc 4
Jimmy Witherspoon "The Spoon concerts"
Nick Cave "Live at KCRW"

Re thin lizzy it was not reconstructed it was only a couple of parts one was were a mike failed and a baseline. I have a this before Visconti got his hands on it. Also check out the DVD nothing was done on that

Would love to hear that copy. Agree that the DVD is terrific. Amazing how Visconti and Lizzy's account of the recording of 'Live and Dangerous' are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

OK,
Cheers,
Alan.

Recently bought a nice copy of this - giving it a spin as I type :)

Toyah was on R4 The Reunion with several other women from the early days of punk. Interesting. Not hugely insightful but if you like Toyah it's well worth a listen.

Although do prepare yourself for the 'we made it possible for women to make music' tosh. Collectively they seemed to dismiss any of the numerous and great female performers and musicians who existed prior to 1976. I never appreciated Toyah and unfortunately it did nothing to raise her standing with me.

advertisement

Back