advertisement

Fake Chips - IC's

Hi,
I did check ebay for some of the IC's - here is a link for pre-owned TD1541 from China, single crown costing £108.03
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2111210563

Here is another few links for TDA1541 which have no crown, but one link is from Cricklewood Electronics and the other from the US.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=254201554610
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1623860153

The TDA1541 single crown from China does seem to have a nice new looking print on the IC, but the others from UK and US have more muted printed text. Is the China IC which is pre-owned a fake, since the video linked earlier showed that they can laser print the text ?.

I do wonder how many people have fake IC's used in their DIY builds, and cannot hear any difference.

Regards,
Shadders.

R1 is a lower spec device, the A is the version to get later ones are more likely to be closer to S1 crowns as the process was well sorted by then.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That kind of thing probably does what it says, more or less. Accuracy of measurements probably isn't great, but it could still be useful. Then again, if you got your transistors from a reputable source, you wouldn't need it in the first place.
Hi,
It depends on whether the transistor model is providing the expected simulation results, or you want to match transistors. The DCA unit i have allows for USB connection and results of the various measurements on the screen. Very good value.

Regards,
Shadders.

But why hunt around on ebay when you can go to Farnell, Mouser, or Digikey and order almost anything imaginable with a few clicks?
Because the reliable distributors don't sell the NOS exotica
Because genuine new premium parts eg AD are expensive

Most amateurs don't have the test equipment to detect that a premium part is actually a remarked bargain basement

Most amateurs don't have the test equipment to detect that a premium part is actually a remarked bargain basement
Hi,
I don't think it matters. I have yet to see a post on any forum where someone has complained about the sound and the reason is due to a fake part.

There might be a blue flash, smoke, or other event, but never that the sound was bad.

Regards,
Shadders

Because the reliable distributors don't sell the NOS exotica
I guess I just don't understand the obsession with obsolete components.

Because genuine new premium parts eg AD are expensive
New low-cost parts still outperform those old ones. There's a reason they've stopped making them.

If you buy from official distributors in Europe or the US, you're unlikely to get fakes.

It’s happened to me before, unfortunately.
Little Diode on eBay seem pretty reliable on vintage/NOS but oh the prices! And those rise year after year, the less stock there is I suppose.

Littlediode have been caught several times selling fakes - See long threads on fakes on diyaudio.

2sk170 supplies seem to have dried up everywhere lately.
Many Western Ebay sellers are also selling fakes, I just buy parts from auction sites, its not worth the hassle

I saw some chips that were obviously paper sanded and a different number was printed on top of the surface. This is what I would call a cheap counterfeit.
When tested, they were out of specs as you can imagine........
They were bought from China through EBay so no more of these for me !
Same thing with capacitors : I bought an Elna Silmic II of 3300 uf and when I verified with Elna, this product never existed for them.

As I've said many times before, NEVER buy parts from ebay or any similar source! I never have and never would. If a part is obsolete and available nowhere other than ebay then it's not available at all in my book.
I regard the 2SK170 and 2SJ74 as unobtainable. Too many fakes and even if genuine I won't pay those prices. Linear systems are not much better with their amateurish lack of distribution and silly prices for their equivalents...
I usually just design alternative circuitry that avoids FET's altogether. I used valves to get round lack of 2SK170 in a recent power amp design.... If anyone has a stash of those P channel valves let me know!:rolleyes:

They are a web scraper.
I think aggregator is a more accurate description. They (supposedly) get the data from the companies in an organised manner.

None of their non authorised distributors listed look that trustworthy
No worse than some random bloke on ebay.

Interestingly, Avnet has a listing for 2SK170 with no stock and an 11-week lead time: https://www.avnet.com/shop/us/products/toshiba/2sk170-bl-f-3074457345625969710
If that's not a mistake, I wonder where they're sourcing it.

advertisement

Back