advertisement

Fake Chips - IC's

I got non functional SAA7220/Bs from little diode and eBay - but got a full refund. Then ordered 2 from Aliexpress...that worked! So did the following 6 I ordered from same seller (I have a Philips Cd150 (or 160) that has sockets for lots of the digital chips - easy to test!).

Little Diode have got me out of a few tricky situations where I've needed a NLA obsolete IC.

However, it is well reported that they have been know to sell counterfeit parts too.

I once ordered a TDA1541A from them and they sent me a TDA1541A R1. I sent them an email explaining the grading system and asked for a refund. They agreed and sent me an S1 at no extra cost which as far as I could tell was genuine!!

I've given up trying to source genuine TDA1541As and now use donor players. They usually yield a good working CDM4 laser as well as lots of the support chips like the TDA 8808/9. I've only seen the R1 variants lately so we must be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Worse than the fakes is just the way that the very best semiconductors for analogue audio are being made obsolete... which is of course why there are fakes being sold...
When designing an amp these days there is far less available in the way of top quality purpose designed parts than there was in say 1995 and often compromises have to be made to try and get around this... It's only going to get worse as well!

Nobody is claiming that Little diode are aware of the remarking, but they are unlikely to be testing what they buy and sell

advertisement

Back