advertisement

Facebook?

Our local community has a well used closed group on Facebook - it is surprising how it seems to make the town smaller, information gets around very quickly. People can and do post warnings of unsavoury types snooping around and Police have been known to take quick notice. Local politicians are on there too, listening and posting on local issues - Parking is a big 'thing' in my town. It is moderated and occasionally shuts off to cool down some subjects. So these closed groups are quite good - I am a 'member' of several around my interests.

Many friends are on it - but it is interesting how just 2 - 3 dominate the postings with either drivel or a continuous update on their travels, pets, exercise regime, eats and drinks. Or fingers down throat gushing at their lovely family.

Good grief. It's a useful tool for keeping in touch with people, use it as such and just block /ignore all the pointless crap, trivia and people you're not bothered with. Yes folks these days have dropped into the habit of announcing things through facebook alone and no other channels, which can be frustrating for major life events, but times change.

new to facebook but its helped build much better realtionships with family we previously only saw at funerals etc , its been brilliant . you can also talk personally with hi fi manufacturers which is great [ like ones in canada ]

My mum said she wanted to 'Booktime' me the other day. She's just got an iPad. She'd gotten Facebook and Facetime confused...

Seriously though, it is good for family and any specific hobby you have where there are closed groups like guitars etc. Also great to buy and sell gear on.

Our local community has a well used closed group on Facebook - it is surprising how it seems to make the town smaller, information gets around very quickly. People can and do post warnings of unsavoury types snooping around and Police have been known to take quick notice. Local politicians are on there too, listening and posting on local issues - Parking is a big 'thing' in my town.

Parking!
This ones always a bit of a laugh in our town.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446600052228746/?fref=nf

I use Facebook Messenger to keep in touch with friends & family, but try to avoid the main Facebook, and don't participate anymore. I think there's a bit too much 'look how awesome my life is', and a lot of stuff I just don't want to read (yes, you can control this via unfollowing etc.), also, I do firmly believe it is having a negative impact on peoples' self-esteem (especially selfie / filter culture) and makes people exist in more of a bubble. Am very, very happy it wasn't around when I was a youngun...

I like using Twitter, it's the best for breaking news, and of course I like to use forums for 'enthusiast' discussion like metal music or HiFi.

I am vehemently anti-facebook, and hate it even more now because of the highly targeted advertising and all of the other dodgy algorithm stuff that goes on. However, some years ago my kids pursuaded me that it is a must for business, so I maintain (rather badly) a business facebook page. These are quite different from the normal private FB pages, and you can't become friends with anyone. The problem is that it is as useless for business as I thought it would be. For some reason I have an almost viral following (people can 'follow' your page) amongst young men in India, entirely useless to me as I don't sell anything in India. I subsequently started another business page for my photography, which gets the odd 'like' and the very rare comment, but has never generated any sales.

My mid-twenties kids both have FB pages, as do all their chums, but none of them really use them except for something called 'facebook messaging', which they all use quite a lot to chat on the ether. They tell me that FB is completely passe in social media terms, most particularly since all their mums and dads got FB pages and used them to watch what their kids were up to, and to try to be cool.

They apparently all use instagram now, but that is more about posting often rather beautiful 'idealised' lifestyle photos. You can apparently manipulate your follower figures simply by following someone who already has loads of followers. Some youngsters at my younger daughter's school are actually trading instagram pages, and for quite serious sums of money!

I prefer to have real friends, and ... er ... pfm.

I find it hard to make friends because I'm a bit of a dick in real life. I thought everyone on here was the same - no pals, but trying to find friendship. It just hasn't worked out very well for me. :D

There sure is a lot of cr*p on Facebook, but on balance I do find it more useful than not in keeping in touch with certain folk and happenings, & there's a fair bit of interesting and amusing stuff posted by my Facebook contacts. It's easy to skip through the dross.

I'm not on. My wife is. She spends endless time watching crap videos, and catching up on the daily lives of people she has not seen for weeks / months / years. I don't get it?
I have to work, so don't have time for such trivia.

Same situation here. PFM trivia is sufficient for me.

Facebook is sometimes useful. Tracked down a woman I was at school with. I last saw her in London during the mid-70s. She was studying for a degree in Biochemistry at Bath University. Since then she's done an MSc in New York and a PhD. She has been in America for the last four decades and now lives on an island off the Florida coast. Brainy bird.

A friend has spent the last six weeks in Mumbai having both radiotherapy and chemotherapy to deal with a brain tumour. He husband is with her. They have keeping their friends up to date via Facebook, which has been really helpful.

The other week I met up with a dozen people from NA and we went on the anti-Trump demo. This was organized via Facebook.

The business end can be annoying. I know people in bands, writers, artists and photographers, who use Facebook to advertise their wares or gigs, which can be incredibly boring if it is on a daily basis.

Having said that some Facebook friends are a real education - snappers Chalkie Davies, Harry Borden and Derek Ridgers spring to mind. They put up great images and stories.

The bottom line though is I don't trust Facebook or Zuckerberg at all.

Jack

Last edited:
About finding old acquaintances, oh well... Some years ago I did this, found out that the guy did really really well in chemistry, and in spite of his politeness it was soon clear that he didn't need me or my online presence in any way. Once offline it felt awkward.

The phenomenon of completely forgotten people contacting you with no real reason is a side effect of Facebook. The recipients often react accordingly.

People choose new paths because the old ones don't offer the expected opportunities. It's all right that way, so why bother.

On another note, that reminds me a girl who I was (25 years ago) close friend with, we lost contact but I kept very fond memories of her. Recently she found me on Facebook, it was cool to chat for a few days... until I found out that what she was actually about was to try selling me massages and aromatherapy rubbish. It's a pity, really, having fond memories about someone is always a good thing to have :oops:

I find Facebook really useful just to see what non-audio-geek friends are up to, get notifications from artists, record labels, museums, art galleries etc about new releases and events etc. I hardly ever post there, but do have a look at my feed every day to see what is going on off of pfm.

PS pfm does have a Facebook page, though I’ve not really figured out what to do with it! There is some degree of integration with XenForo too, e.g. a ‘recommend’ link below each thread. Twitter too (link), though I’ve no idea what to do with that either!

advertisement

Back