advertisement

Facebook?

My wife has a facebook acc., I use it to gain access to family communications, photo's etc, you can also see some peoples lives in minute detail, scary sometimes, also numerous pictures of their dinner/cat/dog/children/car/house/etc.

It is the new America Online. A closed environment (you can't link to facebook content from elsewhere on the net) for "the rest of us" that everybody is on because everybody is on it. They own your content, and their business model is based on selling information about you.

My wife has a facebook acc., I use it to gain access to family communications, photo's etc, you can also see some peoples lives in minute detail, scary sometimes, also numerous pictures of their dinner/cat/dog/children/car/house/etc.

This is the best way. Women love it and you get to stay off it. Perfect.

I completely agree
It is the new America Online. A closed environment (you can't link to facebook content from elsewhere on the net) for "the rest of us" that everybody is on because everybody is on it. They own your content, and their business model is based on selling information about you.

I'm not a user but everyone else seems to be, what are your opinions?

Not me - so none.

I was told I needed to be on it by my brother during a phone conversation when he told me my aunt was dying in hospital.

No one had bothered to tell me as it was easier to just post it on FB.

FFS.

I'm not on. My wife is. She spends endless time watching crap videos, and catching up on the daily lives of people she has not seen for weeks / months / years. I don't get it?
I have to work, so don't have time for such trivia.

Used to use it a bit , got loads of " friends " , totally pointless imo . agreed trivia for people who have nothing better to fill their time with

I'm not on. My wife is. She spends endless time watching crap videos, and catching up on the daily lives of people she has not seen for weeks / months / years. I don't get it?
I have to work, so don't have time for such trivia.

Quite right. Can't be wasting all that time when there's sensible online things like hi-fi fora to be dealt with.

Never use it even though I have a business page in actual fact I can't stand social media

why are you on a forum then?

I have an FB page for work purposes, but it is pretty much dormant, and locked down tight. I am not a fan. My wife isn't allowed a FB page by her employer......

Haha; this exactly! :rolleyes:

I'm on for my business; I recruit into the Social Media arena, so, along with LinkedIn, it's a valuable tool for me

I tend to ignore all personal invites, I'm not really interested in connecting with people that I used to know/went to school/ 6th form or used to work with with etc... If I liked them then, I'd have stayed in touch :D

My wifes on it all the bloody time, does my nut in, in all honesty and I've portrayed that to her, still doesn't change!

I'm an FB widower haha

Can be a useful tool, can be an embarrassment or even lose you your job if you post something unsuitable in a weak/drunken moment which is all to easy to do.
It seems to be populated largely by puerile status updates & soppy videos. So it's a no from me, but I acknowledge that it does have some good uses.

Can be a useful tool, can be an embarrassment or even lose you your job if you post something unsuitable in a weak/drunken moment which is all to easy to do.
It seems to be populated largely by puerile status updates & soppy videos. So it's a no from me, but I acknowledge that it does have some good uses.

All of that could reasonably be said of pfm.

I don't see Forums in the same way as I view FB and its other iterations and clearly I am not alone in thinking like this. I see Pink Fish more like an interactive magazine/information source. FB and co work differently, seem to have less control and have no appeal for me.

I've been on a few forums for about 20 years and quite like them but I'm really only on Pfm as a member and I lurk on a football forum I used to be on but I'm not a member.

Forums are different from Facebook they're much more anonymous, I've hardly ever met people who I share posts with cause basically I don't want to.

I'm not a user but everyone else seems to be, what are your opinions?

Nor am I. I was shocked when someone told me the other day that her brother had tried to contact me recently but had given up when he couldn't find me on Facebook. And seeing people photographing their meals in restaurants makes me want to bring mine back up. My opinion is that FB is very sinister, especially given the targetted political advertising that it facilitates.

Nor am I. I was shocked when someone told me the other day that her brother had tried to contact me recently but had given up when he couldn't find me on Facebook. And seeing people photographing their meals in restaurants makes me want to bring mine back up. My opinion is that FB is very sinister, especially given the targetted political advertising that it facilitates.

Aye I had two people try to get me to friend them both of them were at school with me forty years ago and even then I don't think I ever talked to them then forty years later they want to be your friend, don't think so.

I just ignored them.

I only find these things when I occasionally go into my junk folders to check I've not missed something important.

Have to say Apple mail is excellent for weeding out the rubbish.

advertisement

Back