advertisement

Exposure

You have a really good set up there.

The VII pre you have is the best of all the iterations with better regulation on the boards ( see the feed form the back-plane to additional regulation prior to the phono stage)

The VIIIs is a lovely power amp.

The weak point is the single six PSU, this is the limiting factor and although not many come up for sale often look for another VI to have separate psu for each channel or a XII psu (or two) or a IX psu will bring major improvements.

The VII pre you have is the best of all the iterations with better regulation on the boards ( see the feed form the back-plane to additional regulation prior to the phono stage)

The weak point is the single six PSU, this is the limiting factor and although not many come up for sale often look for another VI to have separate psu for each channel or a XII psu (or two) or a IX psu will bring major improvements.
I also have the pre amplifier XI and it is really different. It has a wider range - on the positive side - but the bass seems to lack a little. Compared to the ONIX which nearly never change from the early 21 to the OA24/401 combo EXPOSURE VII and XI are really different - I prefer the VII.

I d look for a second PSU VI ..

Having liked Farlowe amps since the 90's.
From integrated right up to IVDR, not heard a bad one apart from a noisy X.

Not sure I would buy any Farlowe vintage today unless serviced.

I had an X, bought new late 80s/early 90s. I remember it for a few reasons, I chopped in a Quad 34 & 303 for it, it sounded great but the thump through the speakers when you turned it on was unreal and the permanent hiss ver annoying. But mostly because the dealer told me I would have to replace perfectly good speaker cable with exposure or it would invalidate the warranty.
Young and naive!

Wow....orange tantalum caps...and R77 hasn't charred!!

What do you mean by this comment... I m not a technician... What are the orange tantalum caps , never seen. There is a single version of this preamplifier and it looks nearly empty inside.. Exposure inside seems like new.

What do you mean by this comment... I m not a technician... What are the orange tantalum caps , never seen. There is a single version of this preamplifier and it looks nearly empty inside.. Exposure inside seems like new.

Didn't mean to alarm you!!
I've 2 of the VII pre-amps....both of them had the Orange (or Blue) Tantalum bead capacitors, and some of these had failed on each of the PCBs. This resulted in R77 burning out on each board.
I've now replace all the Tants with Electrolytic caps....so this shouldn't happen again! :)

I'm currently using the vi psu, vii dual pre amp and viii power amp.
Happy enough with it but may need some maintenance as sometimes the right channel breaks up.

For sale on ebay: There is a PSU VI for sale. Could you tell how to connect my pre amplifier VII to the two PSU VI - do I have to connect with the connection at the bottom or up. ..

Buy a 5 pin domino socket which fits where the plastic blanking plug is above 5 pin domino socket already fitted on the VII.

Inside the VII you will need to carefully de-solder the wires from the bottom 5 pin domino socket and ensure the wires are now split and soldered to each 5 pin domino socket, wires from lower pcb to bottom one and top pcb to top one.
Ensure you have noted the correct wire to socket pin ( note cable colour and pin )

You can now power one pcb with a single output from one VI psu and the other from the second VI psu.

You have successfully created a dual mono VII pre amp.

If you have a VII from the earlier photos then this has the two independent psu inputs on the back already.
Either top or bottom of the VI is fine, it used to be use the bottom first and the top output for another use ie V active crossover.

Buy a 5 pin domino socket which fits where the plastic blanking plug is above 5 pin domino socket already fitted on the VII.

Inside the VII you will need to carefully de-solder the wires from the bottom 5 pin domino socket and ensure the wires are now split and soldered to each 5 pin domino socket, wires from lower pcb to bottom one and top pcb to top one.
Ensure you have noted the correct wire to socket pin ( note cable colour and pin )

You can now power one pcb with a single output from one VI psu and the other from the second VI psu.

You have successfully created a dual mono VII pre amp.

If you have a VII from the earlier photos then this has the two independent psu inputs on the back already.
Either top or bottom of the VI is fine, it used to be use the bottom first and the top output for another use ie V active crossover.
Thanks.The idea is to connect the pré VII from prévious post which is dual to 2 PSU VI. if I understand well the Last chapter of your answer it is OK.I could do the same with my pre XI. and it would improve the sound ?

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hum and/or loss of frequency extremes.

I'm running a vi,vii,viii. All original and the early type. I can hear hum when putting ear close to amp, but not through the speakers. On dynamic tracks, the peaks can appear strained, can that be a sign of weak capacitors?

advertisement

Back