advertisement

Exposure

Having looked at the adds on ebay and having no connection to any of the sellers.

The units you show photos above; the VI is an old version and has very very old capacitors.

This may be a better buy especially for the VI which is a newer version and has better Exposure caps than the unit you show above.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31378429...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
WE ll see ... I must say that all these old Exposure get better when one keep them on for a week .. The difference is great.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I had a 15 back in the early 90s in my first proper system and kept it for a decade. Been through loads of other gear over the years at one point had about 20k's worth of TT, Amp and Speakers. About 18 months back bought a recently serviced (by Exposure) 25RC Integrated and I'm pretty much back where I started TT, NVA Phono 2 and 25rc. Sold my Audio Physics and use Gallo Divas and their sub. Music is on most of the time and I'm smiling! Wasted so much cash over the years, when this was all I needed & also have my lounge back. Is it high end, god no - Is it fun - Yup.

Following on from my previous comment, I too spent a fortune taking the Naim route having been told it was better than Exposure. Power supplies, different pre/power combinations, you naim it (excuse the pun). Also tried different amps and setups.
Came back to simple Exposure pre/power, never needed anything else! All that wasted money. On the other hand, it was quite a fun ride!

You have a really good set up there.

The VII pre you have is the best of all the iterations with better regulation on the boards ( see the feed form the back-plane to additional regulation prior to the phono stage)

The VIIIs is a lovely power amp.

The weak point is the single six PSU, this is the limiting factor and although not many come up for sale often look for another VI to have separate psu for each channel or a XII psu (or two) or a IX psu will bring major improvements.
Tu connect a second PSU VI would improve the sound , you say. What do you mean ? Would it be more transparent ? Would it get a better balance ? Or would it increase other things ? Thanks for any comments... !

Tu connect a second PSU VI would improve the sound , you say. What do you mean ? Would it be more transparent ? Would it get a better balance ? Or would it increase other things ? Thanks for any comments... !

With a second VI PSU you have a whole dual mono preamp and you will hear a better defined, wide image with more air and separation among the instruments.

Last edited:
How do the modern exposure amplifiers compare to Naim’s offerings?

In my mind in terms of equivalence:

3510 integrated = SN3
3510 pre stereo power amp = 282 / 250
3510 pre and monos = 282 / 300
5010 pre and monos = ??

This is a very simplistic view, not based on price but power supplies and output. Very curious how 5010 would compare to the nap 300 and 500s which I understand to be very good?

I'm in the same camp as a couple of earlier posters - I had a great deal of midrange Naim between 1998 and 2017, probably losing around £10k on selling, during upgrades and at the end. 2017 I sold the lot and bought the Exposure 3010 pre/monos, DAC, and latterly CD and phono stage. Let's say I wouldn't go back to Naim. My Exposure set is completely consistent, predictable and reliable; the Naim amps veered between sumptuous and edgily unlistenable. (Pre-DR, of course - but then the Exposure stuff just does the job). No nasty blowing fuses (XPS2).

So sonic equivalence is kind of irrelevant - make that completely irrelevant - when you can just listen to music without worrying about what time of the week the mains supply sounds better. The extra money in the bank is just a bonus.

I have a 21 preamp and a 4 dual mono/unregulated and I'm very, very satisfied with it.
Bought the 4 $600.00 CDN, got it serviced for $500.00 CDN and well worth the investment from my point of view.
I bought the 21 from a member of this forum and won’t tell what price I paid (I'm a bit shy) but roughly half of the actual selling price.
Very similar to my Naim 42.5/Hicap/160 BD but a tad more accurate tone and more natural.
In fact, I love the sound of both Naim and Exposure the same and for both brands, I prefer the vintage units to the newest ones.
I wanted a remote control for the pre therefore the 21 was the best option for me.
Can’t recommend enough to jump on a Farlowe era unit if you find one, they sound lovely and are built to last.
They will all need service, even my 21 that is from the 90’s had the reservoir capacitors dead a few months after I bought it. They are easy to service though.
Which speaker cable do you use her hair?

after long search for amplifier, found exposures to my liking good sound and very good value. Last year bought, exposure 5010 preamp, 5010 monoblocks and xm3 phono preamp. Driving (TANNOY TURNBERRY PRESTIGE GOLD REFERENCE) very happy.
Curious to know what interconnect you are using and rca or xlr connections, thanks

Sorry if the answer is already in the archives. I'm too lazy to search for it!

Between the 2510 and 3510 integrated. Which one has the warmer, relaxed and smoother tone? I understand the 3510 has more power to fill larger spaces etc.

I'm aware that different rooms and speakers can also contribute to the sound results.

Thanks.

S.

Between the 2510 and 3510 integrated. Which one has the warmer, relaxed and smoother tone? I understand the 3510 has more power to fill larger spaces etc.

I'm aware that different rooms and speakers can also contribute to the sound results.

Thanks.

S.
I’ve not heard either but check out ‘A British Audiophile’ YouTube channel, he loves the 2510.

Lee @Strictly Stereo is an Exposure dealer, drop him a PM.

Cheers BB

Thanks.

S.

I don't know if this would help, but when I had the 2010s (a few years ago) a dealer loaned me a 3010s for a week and I much preferred the 2010s (exactly in your terms..."warmer, relaxed and smoother tone").

Regards

M.

Sorry for late, due to ill health. my system consist of.....
Michell Gyro deck (heavily modifed) by John Michell back in 80s.
Musical fidelity x-ray cd player.
Denon dnp-2000ne streamer.
Exposure xm3 phono pre-amp.
" 5010 pre-amp.
" 5010 monoblocks power amp.
Tonnoy prestige turnberry gr loudspeakers.
Musical fidelity x-can headphone amp.
All interconnect are musical fidelity nu-vesta, everything connected rca. Loudspeaker are connected silver sharkwire from Maplin. I know, all wires are very old.., tried all sorts of morden wires did not like them, too bright or too mellow. Ended up going beck to old wires. LESSON LEARNED. Don't underestamate old wires.
majority of music listeing Indian, clasical, rock, jazz and world music. Dont know how to post pictures, sorry!

Small foot note..... i don't know I SHOULD SAY THIS, nothing was wrong 5010 pre amp. But i needed to modify pre amp. Spoke to Tony Brady he was very helpful and happy to do it. sent it back and they did it and returned it. Only COMPANYS did this sort of things FOR ME Exposure and Mitchell (gyro deck). Could not fault these companies they bend over backward to assist customers.

advertisement

Back