advertisement

Expensive CD transport vs cheap DVD player

Oh well why don't you drop in an have a listen to my system? Oh that's right, we're dealing with data at this point. So maybe give that a miss then.

Do you use your amazing £24k CD player into a DAC? If not then it's not even relevant to the discussion.

One may use one's cd player as transport into a dac if one wishes. One has also owned the best Delta Sigma dac ever made - the Vimak DS-1800mk2 and now owns a better dac ;).

Is that in your opinion or have these players been rated by EISA? 🤪

Joking aside, good luck to you fourlegs. Personally, I have found that a USB cable to spec and properly made (many expensive ones aren't) does the job just fine for around a fiver. I've tried some relatively expensive ones and they sound the same or worse.

To show my subjective side, I think a well made, well engineered transport does make a difference for the better. I can't argue as to why.

If my business was making cables and people wanted one I'd be mad not to. I'm surprised you've left it this long. Being data and voltage (power) there's more room to do 'stuff' . There has to be use cases were splitting / filtering the 5v would make a real audible difference.

As you might expect I just make do with a certified usb cable...

A most entertaining thread and debate. The subjectivists are losing badly and perhaps at some level know it as revealed by their ad hominems.

Hopefully this is not ad hom, but I find it very odd that someone who joined four days ago is already ignoring someone. I've been here since 2003 and ignored someone once as a five minute experiment.

I've found a significant difference between CD transports in to the same DAC. Same effect with various DACs. Was genuinely surprised at first, being in a sort of assumed 1s and 0s only mindset. Ah well :)

Using a Qutest I found an Allo DigiOne Sig with Shanti PSU to be clearly (but subtly) better than the streaming stage of a SuperUniti. The SPDIF interface with bnc terminations was used in both cases.

The Allo is also clearly better than my Macbook Pro which was connected via USB. Clearly and not at all subtly.

In all cases the listening was via Tidal.

It annoys me that digital is not the same even across very competent products (even when source material and cables are the same) but there it is, I’ll just have to live with being annoyed.

I also find it incongruous that when comparing the Qutest with the RME ADI FS-2 it was near impossible to tell them apart. Despite having both digital and analogue stages they were more similar than pure digital products.

As an aside , I chose the Qutest primarily because others have to use it to switch from audio system to TV when I’m not around. Try that on the RME ! o_O

We did find a subtle improvement using usb over S/PDIF when connecting my Eversolo A6 to an external dac. That was not the case in the main system and will continue using AES.

How a transport and a DAC performs with each interface depends on the implementation. USB is potentially better.

The rest is about personal preference. Some people enjoy certain types of distortion whilst many are influenced by price, reviews and stuff they’ve read that is not written by engineers .

advertisement

Back