1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise Cobra Warrior RAF Waddington

Discussion in 'photo' started by ron, Jan 4, 2020.

1. ron

ron Tweaker

My first attempt at photographing aircraft so quite enjoyed nipping to Waddington September to watch the exercise Cobra Warrior

Camera used Nikon D850 , lenses my 300mm f2.8 ,200-500 and a friend let me borrow his 70-200E and 500mm f4G

[​IMG]_DSC61582 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC61382 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_8509096 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC63121 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC9302 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC8879 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC8852 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0907 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC9625-31 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC9679 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

2. Ian G

Ian G Active Member

Impressive pictures indeed, maybe alternative employment ?

ron likes this.
  3. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks Ian, still lots to learn and try in this hobby

4. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Did the Israeli F-15 navigator have a feeling he was being watched? :eek:

ron likes this.
  5. Milan

Milan pfm Member

I really enjoyed this set Ron.

6. ron

ron Tweaker

I cropped that one quite heavy :-D

7. ron

ron Tweaker

Thank you

8. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

The in flight images are stunning quality, would be good to see links to them on flickr as I'd love to know which lens, what settings etc were being used for some of them, they are so sharp and well resolved.

ron likes this.
  9. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Excellent photos!
    How/where do you find out about these things happening? I’d love to try my hand at photographing something like this. I’ve done airshows, but this looks more fun!

ron likes this.
  10. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Nice set of images. Well judged shutter speed for the Hercules to get a nice blur on the props.

ron likes this.
  11. stevied

stevied über wagonista

I feel the need.. the need for speed!

Great set of photos, there 8)

ron likes this.
  12. Darren555

Darren555 pfm Member

Nice shots! I had to look up about the Israeli F-15s to find out what the unusual ‘R2-D2’ fitting was. Satellite comms antenna apparently.

ron likes this.
  13. ron

ron Tweaker

Thanks all for the nice comments, apologies for the late response
    For some reason the EXIF is lost when I export from my MacBook , not sure why . The first two F15 shots and the Typhoons in flight was using the 500mm f4 , all handheld at f4 , manual settings 1/800 shutter speed ISO100 AF-C using single point focus . I found aircraft much easier to photograph than Peregrines , much larger with no feather movement to blur at slower shutter speeds , certainly easier to track .
    The Hercules was 1/160 , I'd have liked lower but the light was too bright even after stopping right down , I set camera to Qc to reduce mirror slap noise .

A friend suggested I joined a few Facebook groups like The WAVE The Official RAF Waddington Aircraft Viewing Experience for latest events etc . I'm thinking of going to the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in July

I wish I could have photographed this when it was flying , XH558 now grounded at Waddington

[​IMG]_8508317 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

alanbeeb and BTC3 like this.
  14. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Why on earth isn't that indoors? I thought that it was to become the centrepiece of an academy for engineering excellence.

Rico likes this.
  15. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Thanks for the pointer to the FB groups - I’ll take a look.

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I don’t think that’s XH558. That’s a Black Buck Vulcan that bombed the Argies on the Falklands in ‘82. 558 is at Doncaster airport as far as I know.

17. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Correct re XH558.

18. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Some nicely detailed photos :) This is one for Tony, are planes "bonded" together these days? As i can't see many rivets on the fighters in the first photographs.

ron likes this.
  19. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

The Typhoon was the first jet that I was aware of that made great use of bonding in the primary structure. Tornado had various panels and doors that made use of bonding. It’s not really my field.

ETA. You wouldn’t see rivets on fast jets in those photos anyway, as they’d be countersunk and painted over.

20. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

What was distance from yourself to the aircraft for the F-15 shots? You can see a line of rivets between front canopy & nose cone - just incredible detail for something so fast.

ron likes this.