advertisement

Exercise Cobra Warrior RAF Waddington

ron

Tweaker
My first attempt at photographing aircraft so quite enjoyed nipping to Waddington September to watch the exercise Cobra Warrior

Camera used Nikon D850 , lenses my 300mm f2.8 ,200-500 and a friend let me borrow his 70-200E and 500mm f4G

_DSC61582 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC61382 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_8509096 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC63121 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC9302 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC8879 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC8852 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC0907 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC9625-31 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

_DSC9679 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

The in flight images are stunning quality, would be good to see links to them on flickr as I'd love to know which lens, what settings etc were being used for some of them, they are so sharp and well resolved.

Reactions: ron
Excellent photos!
How/where do you find out about these things happening? I’d love to try my hand at photographing something like this. I’ve done airshows, but this looks more fun!

Nice shots! I had to look up about the Israeli F-15s to find out what the unusual ‘R2-D2’ fitting was. Satellite comms antenna apparently.

Thanks all for the nice comments, apologies for the late response
For some reason the EXIF is lost when I export from my MacBook , not sure why . The first two F15 shots and the Typhoons in flight was using the 500mm f4 , all handheld at f4 , manual settings 1/800 shutter speed ISO100 AF-C using single point focus . I found aircraft much easier to photograph than Peregrines , much larger with no feather movement to blur at slower shutter speeds , certainly easier to track .
The Hercules was 1/160 , I'd have liked lower but the light was too bright even after stopping right down , I set camera to Qc to reduce mirror slap noise .

A friend suggested I joined a few Facebook groups like The WAVE The Official RAF Waddington Aircraft Viewing Experience for latest events etc . I'm thinking of going to the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in July

I wish I could have photographed this when it was flying , XH558 now grounded at Waddington

_8508317 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

For some reason the EXIF is lost when I export from my MacBook , not sure why . The first two F15 shots and the Typhoons in flight was using the 500mm f4 , all handheld at f4 , manual settings 1/800 shutter speed ISO100 AF-C using single point focus . I found aircraft much easier to photograph than Peregrines , much larger with no feather movement to blur at slower shutter speeds , certainly easier to track .
The Hercules was 1/160 , I'd have liked lower but the light was too bright even after stopping right down , I set camera to Qc to reduce mirror slap noise .

A friend suggested I joined a few Facebook groups like The WAVE The Official RAF Waddington Aircraft Viewing Experience for latest events etc . I'm thinking of going to the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in July

I wish I could have photographed this when it was flying , XH558 now grounded at Waddington

_8508317 by leon kirkbride, on Flickr

Why on earth isn't that indoors? I thought that it was to become the centrepiece of an academy for engineering excellence.

I don’t think that’s XH558. That’s a Black Buck Vulcan that bombed the Argies on the Falklands in ‘82. 558 is at Doncaster airport as far as I know.

Some nicely detailed photos :) This is one for Tony, are planes "bonded" together these days? As i can't see many rivets on the fighters in the first photographs.

Some nicely detailed photos :) This is one for Tony, are planes "bonded" together these days? As i can't see many rivets on the fighters in the first photographs.

The Typhoon was the first jet that I was aware of that made great use of bonding in the primary structure. Tornado had various panels and doors that made use of bonding. It’s not really my field.

ETA. You wouldn’t see rivets on fast jets in those photos anyway, as they’d be countersunk and painted over.

What was distance from yourself to the aircraft for the F-15 shots? You can see a line of rivets between front canopy & nose cone - just incredible detail for something so fast.

advertisement

Back