advertisement

Ex audiophile looking for bedroom system for Spotify etc.

alanpaterson77@

pfm Member
In a different life I was a vinyl guy with the desire of my life being my Xerxes 20+, PU7 arm and Lyra Delos. This went into naim amps/psu , superline, Kudos super 10 speakers. I spent years building all this with naim fraim stacks and naim powerlines and all the top cabling I could. I eventually had the system of my dreams.
But life changes and my situation is completely different now due to various things (sobriety mostly). I have been living with my partner for over 5 years and would not have ever been able to accommodate the system here on top of being in a lot of debt back then. The system has been sold and the vinyl has been sold over a couple of years.
What I would like is a way to listen to music in the bedroom as I’m told that my good taste in music doesn’t suit with the rubbish others play in here. I bought a sonos soundbar a couple of years ago that sits under the TV in the living room and occasionally use this to play from SoundCloud and my missus has a Spotify account that I’m told I can be added to.
So… I would like to play music now and again in the bedroom. I thought about a stereo pair but I’m likely to be laying on the bed rather than sitting between a pair of speakers. I also have my cd collection on a few hard drives that I spent about a year or two transferring in the highest quality possible. Perhaps at sometime I would like to access these if the hard drives can be found but that’s probably for the future.
I’ve read a few reviews and would love the little Naim cube speaker but it is a bit expensive at the moment. Also the Sonos era 100 looks good but is there anything else members would recommend?
In the past I used Teddy Pardo power supplies so I’m open to less mainstream options.

I use a JBL Charge 5 Wi-Fi for bedroom and portable duties. It’s really rather good.
Disclosure work for AMX who are owned by Harman, who also own JBL. However that doesn’t stop it being superb sounding device and I make nothing from JBL sales.

How about getting another soundbar nailed up on the wall with an optical in which you could feed with a Wiim or Wiim Pro £85 & £150 respectively. I have a Wiim Pro in my 2nd system and its ridiculously good for the money and even more so when fed into my Beresford Caimen SEG dac which doubles as a headphone amp. Either Wiim would also read your NAS when you locate it, my Pro happily reads the ssd on my Innuos ZenITH which surprised me.

I should also say that I have a mk1 chord mojo that is with other belongings at my dad’s house I can retrieve if this can be used in a small system.
I should say it needs to be smallish to get it past the missus.

I would guess if you already have Sonos with the tv then it probably makes sense to stick to Sonos in the bedroom as well, so you can control from the same app then.

I see a number of gen1 naim qb on eBay around the £450 mark at the moment. Has anyone any experience with this?
Yes. I have one mounted onto the wall in the corner of my kitchen (less than ideal I realise).

For its cost, it is fantastic. However, buy yourself a Chromecast Audio (c£30 on the bay), or the V2 version as the app for it is utterly pants. The CCA will mean you can then use the Spotify/Tidal etc. native apps which are far more intuitive.

You have a Chord Mojo so that’s a fantastic start, get a Wiim mini for streaming duties and a nice compact pair of powered speakers, Genelec 8010s are tiny, and sound very good. It’s a small enough system to move around to wherever you want to listen and store away in a bag/flight case when it’s not in use… or if that sounds like hassle, it’ll take minimal space up on top of a chest or drawers and will vastly improve the sound of your bedroom TV… in fact you could potentially use a smart TV as the streamer, I do just that, with a Mojo, into a Naim Nait 5i and Credo 2s, sounds fabulous. You do need the TV on to stream music but on the plus side, it’s a cracking display!

A Sonos would seem the smartest suggestion. I do love the naim sound though.
Ease of use should be a priority I suppose though. Not like the old days when everyone piece of vinyl was washed on a moth before going into an anti static sleeve before ever being played.

You have a Chord Mojo so that’s a fantastic start, get a Wiim mini for streaming duties and a nice compact pair of powered speakers, Genelec 8010s are tiny, and sound very good. It’s a small enough system to move around to wherever you want to listen and store away in a bag/flight case when it’s not in use… or if that sounds like hassle, it’ll take minimal space up on top of a chest or drawers and will vastly improve the sound of your bedroom TV… in fact you could potentially use a smart TV as the streamer, I do just that, with a Mojo, into a Naim Nait 5i and Credo 2s, sounds fabulous. You do need the TV on to stream music but on the plus side, it’s a cracking display!
You’re going to have to help me here. Is it then… Wi-Fi to the wiim then a cable to the mojo then cable to the powered speakers?
If so this could work if I keep it neat.

Wiim mini over CCA everytime. Not so much because of sound quality, but because it actually works. You can then connect it to Mojo or take its line out to powered speakers or a smallish amp, vintage (Onix, Nytech, Ion Obelisk ...) or newer (Rega Brio or Io) - plenty of cheap second hand around - and speakers of choice, again plenty of old or new.

You’re going to have to help me here. Is it then… Wi-Fi to the wiim then a cable to the mojo then cable to the powered speakers? If so this could work if I keep it neat.
Exactly. You could also skip the Mojo - completely or only use it on the days that you would feel sound quality is particularly important.

You’re going to have to help me here. Is it then… Wi-Fi to the wiim then a cable to the mojo then cable to the powered speakers?
If so this could work if I keep it neat.
Yes, exactly that. If you get cables made to the correct lengths, it would be very neat and unobtrusive. The Genelecs are really tiny, but they’re still Genelecs, and as such are great sounding and super detailed little things. No artificially boosted bass like some compact speakers, they just do what they do properly.

Exactly. You could also skip the Mojo - completely or only use it on the days that you would feel sound quality is important.
Indeed, and it would still sound very decent… I’d struggle not to use the Mojo if it were to hand though, it’s a fabulous little DAC.

I agree, but I have Wiim mini (recommended on pfm, thank you) and also own Mojo 1 and I don't connect it for late night, lower volume listening - which is most of the listening I do lately. All the faff with charging etc. Mojo 2 would be easier in this scenario.

Keep it simple, like you say for laying in bed a Sonos would be ideal. I've got one on top of the wardrobe in my room and it is more than good enough and a piece of cake to control via my phone, no other cables or gadgets needed.

advertisement

Back