advertisement

Ex audiophile looking for bedroom system for Spotify etc.

I agree, but I have Wiim mini (recommended on pfm, thank you) and also own Mojo 1 and I don't connect it for late night, lower volume listening - which is most of the listening I do lately. All the faff with charging etc. Mojo 2 would be easier in this scenario.
The Wiim is a brilliant little device, a friend has one and I’m seriously impressed with it. I’m going to get one for myself and also for my parent’s garden bar to replace the terrible Bluetooth adapter they use (which starts dropping out when we’re listening out in the pergola.

I should also say that I have a mk1 chord mojo that is with other belongings at my dad’s house I can retrieve if this can be used in a small system.
I should say it needs to be smallish to get it past the missus.
Do you have no say whatsoever in these matters?

without wanting to sound like a macho prick, I wouldn’t have it. Compromise is key ……

We have both the QB and Sonos here, both are very good.

The Sonos (Play 1/Era 100) work much better in a stereo pair if you can do that option (the speakers are very small so I doubt you’d have any issue having two). Sonos do tend to go viral once you go down that path as it works so well and is family friendly.

The Naim sounds better for sure if you can only do one box.

I see a number of gen1 naim qb on eBay around the £450 mark at the moment. Has anyone any experience with this?

I bought a first gen MuSo (not QB) a couple of years ago as an intermediate system. It's now playing in my office. I like it a lot! Very easy yo use and it sounds way bigger than you'd expect. I guess the QB will also be pretty capable. But I think the asking price is pretty high; around 350-375 seems more realistic.

Back to the OP, a Bluesound device such as one of their speaker devices would work. They have a USB port on the back so you can plug in either a HDD or memory stick (better idea as smaller) and this would give you access to any music you have copied onto it with a good interface (BluOS App).

Sevenoaks often have ex demo / open box devices at discount.

You’re going to have to help me here. Is it then… Wi-Fi to the wiim then a cable to the mojo then cable to the powered speakers?
If so this could work if I keep it neat.

Unless you get the recently released WiiM Pro Plus which has a much better DAC than the Pro so you wouldn't need the Mojo.

Wiim mini over CCA everytime. Not so much because of sound quality, but because it actually works. You can then connect it to Mojo or take its line out to powered speakers or a smallish amp, vintage (Onix, Nytech, Ion Obelisk ...) or newer (Rega Brio or Io) - plenty of cheap second hand around - and speakers of choice, again plenty of old or new.

Go for the WiiM Pro or Pro Plus rather than the mini and the you've got the option of using the inbuilt Chromecast as well.

Other reason i went for the Pro, with Amazon music if you ever wanted to multiroom you can't do HD Ultra on the mini and had to keep going into settings and changing it to standard definition.

They're actually very good, I bought it's smaller cousin for about £40 as I didn't want to spend £100 on the Motion + at the time for using in the garden, I switched it on on the house and thought it was amazing, took it in the garden and the sound disappeared.

In the 24 hrs it took the smaller one to be delivered they dropped the price on the Motion + to £60 so jumped on it straight away and use it the whole time outside whether washing the cars or chopping logs and take it on holiday so I have something 1/2 decent to play music on.

The OP hasn't stated budget, Acoustic Energy AE1's are great .... but not cheap or Q Acoustic's M20's .... all depends on what he wants to spend.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You probably won't sell your hifi but this system could have you scratching your head as to why you even own one.
Tribit Bluetooth Speaker StormBox Blast,Portable Speaker 90W Loud Stereo Sound with XBass LED Light Show Bluetooth 5.3,IPX7 Waterproof Speaker, PowerBank,TWS,Custom EQ,30H Playtime for Outdoor Party : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

This is an 80's looking ghetto blaster with optional flashing lights, ok, not a great start, but don't be too quick to judge.

I have tried every BT speaker going including a few PA speakers for my Summer months in the garden & this has surprised me the most.

It's as close to having your hifi in the garden that you will ever achieve. Weighs 5kg & is built like a tank & whoever designed this beast should be rewarded with an award for contribution to music replay. It's staggeringly good in every respect & i'm yet to catch it out with a genre. Everything is so well organized & the bass is meaty & tight with an open, clean, expressive midrange. The sound has you scrambling through your playlists.

Goes crazy loud too without losing control.

Posted by @Ragaman on a different thread, thought it might be something that would interest the op on here.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I never understood what does that mean, and why would anyone want that?

Not exactly sure what you're asking but there are 3 different models of the WiiM ... The WiiM Mini, WiiM Pro and the recently released WiiM Pro Plus, the Mini didn't have Chromecast built into it but the Pro and the Pro Plus do.
Some music / media apps won't be able to cast to the WiiM itself like Chrome Browser / Youtube but they can cast to Chromecast devices so it gives you a much broader range of Apps etc. that are compatible with the Wiim Pro / Pro Plus either via their own standard or by using the inbuilt Chromecast.

Hope that answers what you were questioning?

I use the Chromecast facility on my Pro to access the interactive streams on RP, the native RP stream in the Wiim App is the none interactive one so no skip function which I regularly use.

I use a chromecast audio unit bought second hand from this site I think into a Topping DAC and then into my A&R A60 amp and Dali Spector 1 speakers. Makes a nice little bedroom system and works well. The Chromecast can stream Spotify, Tidal and Quobuz from my accounts and up to 24bit/96 kHz quality. They do come up sometimes on eBay or here

When I was growing up, it was lying in bed. Was I wrong? Did it become laying to distinguish it from telling untruths in bed no longer acceptable.
I'm working on getting woke into this post but I'm not there yet.

Two Sonos Ones (or whatever they’re called now) in paired mode are remarkably good for a bedroom system, and even if you’re lying down I’d imagine still worthwhile having the stereo configuration.

advertisement

Back