advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

I was the heretofore discreet USB auditioner.

My source is a SOtM sMS-200 NEO SE, which is an ARM CPU-based streamer with a well-engineered power section (but as yet still with the generic SMPS wall wart). The SE adds extra features including EMI absorption sheets. The sMS-200 is connected by USB to an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. My current USB cable is a Furutech GT2, and I admit I didn't notice any significant difference when I added that cable over my previous £3 job, but it stayed in anyway.

The rest of my system is an EWA M-50 power amp connected directly to the DAC by short runs of EWA IC-40 and some -10dB Golden Jacks attenuators. The speakers are currently the weak link, I think: DALI Oberon 5's, but I'm stuck with them for space reasons until we move to a different house. The speakers are connected via EWA LS-40. As you can see, I like the EWA products that I have heard so far.

I understand digital audio, so I went into the IC-25 USB cable with the understanding that there shouldn't be any obvious change in things like frequency response, and that changes to the actual signal would be obvious in the form of clicks and pops. However, I have an open mind to the possibility of noise traveling by USB from source to DAC and on to the amplifier, which might have psychoacoustic effects on perceived soundstage, dynamics, etc. So, I went into the IC-25 USB demo with enthusiasm and an open mind.

Thanks to the generosity of the demo tour, I was able to keep the IC-25 in my system for a couple of weeks. I also did some cable swapping for back-to-back comparisons but I mainly focused on long-term enjoyment. All auditioning was performed fully sighted with no scientific or statistical rigor. I do that for my day job and can't be bothered when I'm relaxing with music. I listened at a variety of volumes, from quiet night sessions to wife-and-kids-are-out blasting. The music ranged from Another Timbre chamber music through to rock and experimental electronic music (lots of Autechre!). I also auditioned my own music productions, which of course I am very familiar with.

Anyway, long story very short, in the end I had to admit that I couldn't discern any difference. I very consciously wanted to but I forced myself to be honest with myself. I've now swapped back to my old cable and I will continue to pay attention to see if I feel that I'm missing out on anything.

I think the most likely explanation is that the RME DAC aggressively rejects noise and homogenises the incoming signal. And, if marketing is to be believed anyway, the streamer should also be sending a very clean signal to begin with. So, if the IC-25 USB can do wonders for a digital signal, this is not the front-end to reveal it. Other possibilities include speakers that are perhaps not as revealing as those used by others who heard differences, and/or unideal room conditions.

So, the IC-25 USB didn't work out for me, but if/when I change my front-end, I would be happy to revisit it. If anything, my EWA budget might better be put towards a pre-amp for my M-50! Until then I will continue to enjoy the rest of my EWA kit and would still highly recommend them to anyone!

Top marks for honesty and an additional plus for a very fine deployment of "heretofore". A+ :D

If anyone else is hoping to listen to something, will you get in touch? Most things are possible, although it looks like we are running short on loudspeaker cables in the next few weeks.

Colin, do you think that the LS80’s would make a difference on my digital amp? It’s a Lyngdorf 3400 200w per side and a pulse width modulation affair.

at the moment I’m using Cardas Golden Cross and because the amp does everything internally (I have no need for RCAs or Usbs anymore) was wondering if the lS80 might sneak a bit more out of the system?

Have you tried them on a PWM amp?

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...dorf-audio-tdai-3400-integrated-amplifier-dac

Cheers, Rod.

@Rug Doc I messaged him Rod, he will post something later.

The only experience I can add is that I remember selling speaker cables to a Lyngdorf owner about three years ago and he seemed very happy.

P.S. Do you still have the Yamaha stack? That is such a beautiful system - I assume the Lyngdorf is an additional toy?

@Rug Doc I messaged him Rod, he will post something later.

The only experience I can add is that I remember selling speaker cables to a Lyngdorf owner about three years ago and he seemed very happy.

P.S. Do you still have the Yamaha stack? That is such a beautiful system - I assume the Lyngdorf is an additional toy?

Yes I still have the Yamaha stack and will keep that too. The Lyngdorf is indeed a new toy and it’s fabulous. So easy to use on a daily basis, but dive into the settings on an iPad and you can change pretty much everything. It’s so well thought out it’s a joy to use.

So I’ve gone from 4 boxes to hear music to one.

Yamaha system staying put though. Love that lot and the B-2 amp is still amazing.

Hi Rod,
Is it Class D or Class T ?
What is the clocking frequencies ?
These question come to my mind, The problem is the fine details on these type of amps at the high end audio range is very poor, there response times are normally slower than standard linear designs.
With that in mind the advantage of my cable designs is there speed and thus frequency bandwidth so can the Digital (lies) design of amp sound good? To be honest not a clue, it depends on load , clocking/sampling rate and is there output filtering to limit the noise/clocking from effecting the audio?

Oh the pulse width modulation is used to make the marketing lads look good it Class D guys.

So all I can say Rod try and see.

Sorry

Oh is there anybody using other Class D amps like Chord that have use EWA cable? that can help Rod

Just a small note , EWA has a very good Common Mode Rejection factor this will remove the crap/clock on the speaker load, it just occurred to me if the clocking gets to the speaker does it effect the heating of the voice coils and expand them ? and how does it add distortion and phase errors, has anybody done any R&D on this ?

Now if you amps produce unassay drive current at non audio range and the CML effect of the cables removes/cancels it then you should hear a great improvement.

Good morning world Col

20-5-1990 J.F.W. 3.30PM

Hi all has anyone heard from Alan recently ? I’m hoping everything is ok with ABC and Colin of course

Hi all has anyone heard from Alan recently ? I’m hoping everything is ok with ABC and Colin of course

I tried calling him e-mail on all email accounts, txt, what-app and got no reply and often 3 times a day.
Just sent him another 10th Aug 2023 at 8.25AM lets hope he is ok and well.

I tried calling him e-mail on all email accounts, txt, what-app and got no reply and often 3 times a day.
Just sent him another 10th Aug 2023 at 8.25AM lets hope he is ok and well.

Thanks Colin , he was sending on some LS40 speaker cables and interconnects late on in May but did say he was having difficulty getting the speaker cables back from whoever had them at the but that he had the interconnects, I said get them to me when you can I’m in no rush, so I was relaxed about it.

Then I promptly got Lyme disease so I’ve been ill through June and July and simply sent an email to ABC last week but no reply hence my question here .. the main thing to me is Alan ok .. like you I hope he is ok and well as that’s the most important thing

To date not heard a thing or answers from e-mail or msg from Alan , now I am very worried, I do hope he reads this.

Contact me please Alan

Spoke via MSG to Alan again today and he is soak testing one of the new Claymore for a customer.
He sounded chirpy as he giggled at one of my silly jokes.
Keep getting better Alan please we need you, well I do to keep me under control and to stop me inventing odd things. :( Like solar powered yellow ducks, ;)

Colin, do you think that the LS80’s would make a difference on my digital amp? It’s a Lyngdorf 3400 200w per side and a pulse width modulation affair.

at the moment I’m using Cardas Golden Cross and because the amp does everything internally (I have no need for RCAs or Usbs anymore) was wondering if the lS80 might sneak a bit more out of the system?

Have you tried them on a PWM amp?

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...dorf-audio-tdai-3400-integrated-amplifier-dac

Cheers, Rod.

Have you tried the demo set yet Rod ?

i use LS 80 with my TDAI3400, i thought they improved significantly on the first generation LS25 in bass, treble and imaging, Ii was using previously, however Rob Sinden at the Lyngdorf distributor Gecko Audio does not advocate spendy speaker cables with TDAI amps.

I would love to hear your experiences with any demo cables and that amp.

Seeking any help/guidance please; does anyone know if ABC Audio / EWA cables are still in business? I've been trying to resolve an issue with the speaker cable I purchased earlier this year (with the replacement due to be shipped). However my emails to Alan are now being returned as 'undeliverable'. I've reached out via the forum directly to Alan and Colin, as yet without a response. I had got used to the 2-3 week response times, but now with the emails bouncing back I'm getting concerned.

advertisement

Back