advertisement

EWA LS-20 vs LS-25 Speaker Cable

johnacurtis

pfm Member
Hello & apologies for another cable thread!
However, I have been reading bits about the EWA cables and especially Colin’s comments in another post!
I’m interested to hear if anyone has direct comparisons of the LS-20 against LS-25 cables? I see the 25 is a way off from being produced again and wondered if the 20 is close enough?
I am a TQ black user and have Naim Supernait 2 into Russell K Red 50’s.

I'm using the EWA LS-25 speaker cables. Worth every penny IMHO.

What cables did they replace?

I'm currently running Chord Signature but when and IF the LS-25 become available I'll be buy them.

But like the OP I'll be very interested with anyone who's compared the LS-20 and 25's.

Hi John, Shawn.

I'm away for a few days over the long weekend, so apologies for being late with replies.

LS-5 may seem similar in many ways to 'black' but with faster bass, if a little leaner. Has really great timbre in comparison.

LS-20 builds on LS-5 but has way deeper bass with massive impact, and still that speed.

LS-25 is an order of magnitude better accross every frequently and quality. The LS-20 is probably closer to LS-25 in performance, but closer to LS-5 in price.

Like Colin says, we're biased so I can't really offer much more than that! But there is 30 day return if it isn't for you. Every system and interface is different, and so are our tastes. No one size fits all so we try to minimize the risk.

As an aside, I'm new in the 'trade' but long time on hifi forums. I'm happy to help with queries, but perhaps by email or PM.

Have a great weekend...

Thanks Alan and Colin

Seems that the LS-20 would be a fair step up from my current TQ Black, but I would kick myself for not going up to the LS-25!
Just need to wait for the next manufacturing run!

As far as i can see, LS25 won’t be available anymore, so has anyone used the LS20 cable and can offer their opinion compsred to orher cables?

Happy LS-25 owner here. However, I did say I wasn't sure it would suit everyone's tastes and in the back of my mind I was thinking Naim owners. Funnily enough the one dissenting voice was, a Naim owner. I used to run a Naim system and I could see how LS-25 might not work in some Naim systems for some people. That said, the Nait series were always tad "Naim Lite" in terms of their tone, possibly in an attempt to draw in the unbelievers. Given that, the LS-25 might well be suitable to many Nait users ears.

To my ears, LS-25 in the one speaker cable that just tells you what you have wired to either end of it.

Thanks Firemoon.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the LS25 is available anymore!
The LS20 does seem to be though!
However, I’m interested in why you think that maybe it would not suit Naim amps? Mine is a supernait 2.
I’m using TQ black but had borrowed some TQ silver a while ago and it certainly opened up the upper frequencies!
But I need 2 x 6m runs! Expensive!
Last night I swapped in my van damme 6mm hi-Fi cable and that seems to lose the lower frequency definition compared to the TQ black.
So I wondered if the LS 20 might give me lower frequency definition as well as better upper frequency detail?

I had done comparisons using switching gear comparing a few of the popular speaker cables against a reference 4 inch direct connection. Surprisingly i found that although speaker cables do make a difference, they tend to veer from the reference and end up being worse rather than better. Ultimately you want it to be indistiguishable from a reference direct connection. Funny enough the standard 14 guage zip cord was almost identicle to a direct connection. With a slight roll off in the highs. The LS-25 on the other hand appeared to rectify this roll off and made it very hard for me to tell much difference. However i did perhaps notice a slight reduction in the overall loudness, possibly due to the low guage wire used.

Many other cables i have tried however, tend to make things worse rather than better.

I had tested the Q Black which is similar to the LS-20, which showed great transparency in highs and lows, but the mids were recessed. Almost like a warm sound. LS-25 fills that gap.

Thanks again!
Would you think the LS20 to be an “improved” sound over the TQ Black or not enough to warrant the change?
I know that this is very subjective!

Your right, hard to say at all. No information to go on. Colin would be the best person to say or others who have compared both. Personally i think not. There are certain aspects of the design i am aware of, some i discovered on my own. But as to the design changes or improvements from the tellurium to the EWA, i can only speculate.

I moved from Tellurium black ultra to LS25 and noticed more clarity and tighter bass. Not heard other LS cables

If you have tried and liked cable other than Naim's own in your system then, I suspect you'd like the LS series. I'm really not a cables person, aside from my TT to phono stage and pre all my cables are of the well made £20 variety. The LS 25 cable is the only speaker cable I have ever "recommended" to others and it would be a crying shame should it no longer be available. If the LS 20 does 90% of that the LS 25 does then I suspect you might well find it works for you.

advertisement

Back