advertisement

Eversolo DMP A8 - Is this the end for all other streamers?

It depends on how good your system is, also how good your hearing is, and how much money you want to spend. Audio, like most things in life, houses, cars, yachts, watches etc etc, has no end...
Sorry that's demonstrably false. Houses, Cars, Yachts etc can all get objectively bigger, faster, more technically advanced, efficient etc. Audio reproduction get's to a point where it's a literal impossiblity that humans can perceive differences and then it's just simply "good enough". In the same way that TV resolution reaches a point where at a given distance human eyes cannot perceive the pixels, any further increase in pixel density is a complete and utter waste of time for that viewing distance.

Are you playing an actual bitperfect file, or upsampling? Different upsampling algorithms will have an effect on the sound.

I would agree that power makes a big difference.
This phrase has no meaning. A data file (unless it's data has been corrupted) is by definition bit perfect. The file may contain uncompressed music data or compressed data, but either way it's still bit perfect in terms of it's internal integrity.

GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

If the device is sending a bad signal, then the receiver cannot magically fix it. It can try to smooth it over gracefully, but it's still wrong.

USB has abundant speed and built in error correction. It design to work robustly and dependably.

S/PDIF has barely sufficient speed and no error correction. If the sending clock is terrible or it sends errors, then there's no way to correct for that on the receiving end.

For example, my friend has a CD carrousel with coax and optical S/PDIF outputs. We tested both into a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. The optical sounded very bad compared to they coax, probably because of a poor conversion module inside the player. There's no way to fix that in the DAC.
Actually it can, to a point. Depending on the design of the receiver. That's exactly what telecommunications optical transmission systems do. There are reconstruction nodes at points all along the long distance optical path that 100% reconstruct and reclock the data, so their output for the next leg is as perfect as the output of the first node in the path. Of course if you allow the transmission signal to degrade enough, then the data becomes irretrievable.

Thanks! Did you try the I2S out into the Venus? I'm wondering if there were any micro skips? I had a Venus and loved it but couldn't get rid of the micro skips when used with my Oppo 205 so replaced the Venus with a nDac, - which doesn't quite put as big a smile on my face.
Never had any micro skips with the Venus II since using I2S and/or with latest firmware. Essentially perfect.

I've found it very usable. What are you struggling with? I had it fully configured (except for indexing my SSD) in about five minutes, and it's been 100% rock-solid since. The app, yes, I agree, but nobody uses the app - use the 'Cast' function to control it using screen mirroring, that's what everyone (including me) does.
Hello
Trouble with transferring files to SSD
The app is ok , I'll soon take some time for a detailed comparison of A8 vs Aurender vs Lumin
Cheers

Trouble with transferring files to SSD
Albeit I am using an Eversolo DMP-A6 I too had trouble transferring files to the internal SSD. My solution was to remove the SSD from within the player and put it in a USB enclosure. Now it is much simpler to disconnect from my player and attach it to my MacBook for managing my files.

Optical. By which I don't mean typical TOSLINK, I mean Optical as a method. It's immune to RFI etc and is capable of bit rates that no electrical system can ever dream of matching. There's a reason it's used in the backbone networks of the worlds telecommunciations and ISP operators.
Therefore, if someone were to implement an audio optical solution, based on true optical recontsruction (rather than the crude electrical modulation of an LED as used by TOSLINK) that ran at 1Gb/s or more then all this talk of jitter and noise would become a total irrelevance. But no doubt audiophiles would still claim to be able to hear differences.
Well in theory you are correct about optical but in practice it falls short of the theory. Innuos measured the noise in the optical receive circuits and found that there was more noise than a well implemented usb connection. Hence why they do not offer optical on any of their streamers apart from the base model where it is included for user convenience. With my Antipodes streamer it has a variety of outputs but for whatever reason the optical sounds the worst of all of them.

It is the same story with optical networks where the theory is that they should stop electrical noise but in practice the ones I have tried all seem to be noisier than a well implemented Ethernet switch.

Yes I'm confused then

Wave High Fidelity is a dissolved company but the director is also the director of Reiki Audio and as that is the only active trading one assumed that was you?

I decided to run Wave High Fidelity as a sole trader. It is simpler and suits my business better.

You know what they say about assuming don’t you.

Anyway, haven’t you got anything better to do?

Nope you have to defend your assertion (that goes against the known and understood methodology of fibre optic transmission principles)

Anyway I was joking, I'm going to try and avoid arguing against the foo BS on here now to keep my blood pressure down :)

Nope you have to defend your assertion (that goes against the known and understood methodology of fibre optic transmission principles)

Anyway I was joking, I'm going to try and avoid arguing against the foo BS on here now to keep my blood pressure down :)
My explanations regarding the mechanism(s) for noise generation and/or transfer despite the use of optical within audio and network systems are pretty well accepted and they do not rely on Steve’s explanation and nor do I (yet) endorse his explanation! As such I do not currently anticipate calling him as a witness (expert or otherwise). 🤣

My starting point in all this is that if ‘X’ sounds worse then ‘Y’ then it is worth exploring what might be causing that.

Anyway, as you say, enough on this. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for you having a heart attack or stroke.

Here's a thought.

Where there's a real difference in performance between bits of hifi, standards stay around for a while. Where's there's no performative difference flavour of the month kit abounds.

It's diffetent for new product categories vs established ones.

Well in theory you are correct about optical but in practice it falls short of the theory. Innuos measured the noise in the optical receive circuits and found that there was more noise than a well implemented usb connection. Hence why they do not offer optical on any of their streamers apart from the base model where it is included for user convenience. With my Antipodes streamer it has a variety of outputs but for whatever reason the optical sounds the worst of all of them.

It is the same story with optical networks where the theory is that they should stop electrical noise but in practice the ones I have tried all seem to be noisier than a well implemented Ethernet switch.
Which is why I ruled out TOSLINK. All that would be required to "fix" TOSLINK would be an optical regeneration module*, like the ones that are used in Telecommunications transmission systems. Though of course such things don't exist, that I'm aware of anyway.

*Such modules totally erradicate any noise that may have been present on the incoming optical waveform as they just recover bits (so only the optical level matters, any noise on it is ignored), and they're reclocked to jitter is reduced to the level of jitter the reclocking can achieve, which given we're talking about 10, 25, 100 + Gb/s data rates is orders of magnitude better than anything found in any domestic digital product.

advertisement

Back