advertisement

Ever lost your interest in music? (e.g. post kids)

My current car came without a CD player, but has a digital menu system that is just far too complicated to be user friendly, and certainly can't be used legally when actually driving. The lack of suitable music on various radio stations has led to many silent journeys, often after the first album has finished. :rolleyes:

I'll never ever lose my interest in music, but HiFi? Certainly. In fact music lovers should def sell all their HiFi and just have a computer, Spotify and some reasonable active speakers now and again.
Music is amazing always. HiFi is just annoying all the time ;)

In 1973 I followed the conceits of the objective HiFi press and ended up with a 401/SME/V15III/33/303/AR3a system. It was so boring I stopped listening. Fortunately I went looking for excitement elsewhere and learnt a lesson.

Due to 2 house moves, stuff being in storage, and kids (now 8 and 10) my music habits have dwindled over the last 10 years. I find if I have an hour or two to spare I watch a movie, and I don't actually know when I Iast "listened" to a whole record... 15 years ago? I wonder whether I should just sell the gear, and maybe revisit the hobby when the kids leave home or I retire (15+ years). Has anyone else experienced this? Did they fight it?

In lockdown I bought a new SACD player (still in its box), a new pair of mono amps (still not opened the boxes they arrived in from another PFMer), a new equipment support (still boxed), various tweaks ... ditto. Oh I also bought (and quickly sold) a pre, a dac and an integrated.

I started listening to more music again after the kids were born.

I think that you just need to find the right form of playback: headphones, computer speakers, whatever suits you available listening time best.

Unfortunately I'm very good at just sitting and doing nothing in silence, there are lots of times (like now) I could have music on but don't.

I do get to listen a lot in the day whilst driving, maybe that plays a part, although it doesn't explain the just doing nothing, I've wasted years doing that :eek:

As others have alluded to, I still love music just as much, if not more, than I ever have. I just seem to have a lot less time at this stage in my life with a toddler and busy job, to properly enjoy it!

I've definitely struggled to accept that sometimes the time is just not right to power up the rig and start spinning some records. That's hard sometimes, but does mean the rare moments when the floor is littered with sleeves and liners and you're just in the zone, are even more sacred :)

Yes I see friends with babies and toddlers and when these little toddlers start running around I am surprised they have time to eat let alone listen to music on hi fi !!

One forgets what it was like with kids...

Hmm, never!

Even when I was extremely stressed and busy at work and traveling non-stop, I've always found the time to listen to music on my hifi. Music is not a hobby or pastime for me, it's part of my life, an obsession almost and an endless source of enjoyment and sanity in a mad cruel world.

The gear and source may have to change when I get older and it becomes too difficult to deal with a sophisticated expensive hifi. But I doubt my interest in music will really wane.

Not listening to my hi-fi these days due to poor health condition. I focus on my pain (and work) and the rest seems futile.
Including this post.
Do have a good day mates.

I did neglect music and hifi a couple of years ago when I was going through a challenging personal time. Ironically, it was the lifeline that helped pull me through in the end and my indebtedness has made my love of music and my hifi even more acute than it ever was.

Last edited:
I cannot remember a time when I lost interest in music. Even if playing records was a scant opportunity when the kids were young, I always enjoyed music - even if it's via the crappy car stereo. The only occasion when I won't listen to music is when in public. Wearing headphones seem such an in thing these days, but I'd rather use my senses for situational awareness.

I missed a lot of music in the 90s, worked lots, got married, had a kid, got divorced, met second wife and had 3 kids. Started my current job in 2003 and I spend a lot of time driving, this reignited my love of music and that’s when I started to build my system. I still listen to lots of music but don’t have much time on the main system as we’re open plan and the TV runs through the Hifi. Kids are in their early 20s now and the house is quieter for longer so I’m just starting to get more time to listen. Daughter #2 is also getting into it and exploring my vinyl which I’m really pleased about.

Cheers BB

Didn't lose interest in listening to music when the sprog arrived 3.5 years ago but priorities, habits, and time availability definitely changed.

Use it less overall but kind of means more when able to. In this and the previous house his bedroom is above the lounge, so loud late listening sessions are out the window though

It's also given this hifi a new lease of life, eg never thought it would be used for dancing around to the Despicable Me soundtrack... :)

Not listening to my hi-fi these days due to poor health condition. I focus on my pain (and work) and the rest seems futile.
Including this post..
Gosh, that sounds a bit grim, hope your health starts improving and you can get back to enjoying life some more :(

advertisement

Back