advertisement

Ever lost your interest in music? (e.g. post kids)

Like most of the others, I've had a slump when the children were younger. You want to be able to hear when they cry, and do not have the spare time to listen at leisure (besides being tired all the time). Now they are older I've rekindled my love of music, partly as background when working or reading, but I always listened in that way. For me it wasn't a loss of love for music, just temporarily not having the time or opportunity for it. But apparently it is different for others.

I had a boom in music listening when my kids were very young! I found it helped in various ways, not least having something to jiggle along to when trying to get a grizzly baby to sleep :)
My two kids always seemed to like music and were very expressive dancers when they were toddlers :D. What they were exposed to then seems to have had an impact on what they listen to now, which is nice.

Nowadays I listen to radio quite a lot as I prefer the variety and also not having to choose what to listen to myself. Plus it can introduce me to some new stuff which I probably wouldn't otherwise hear. I think this helps keep me interested.

I do wonder if it's a male ageing thing (I'm 44)... I've lost my interest in many things (but also had a very stressful year for many reasons).

I am not a psychologist but maybe do some self-reflection to determine whether you might be burnt out or depressed. Interest in things and general motivation are some of the first things to go.

Regardless, there might be some catharsis in selling unused gear, simplifying your audio setup, and taking a sort of "back to basics" approach. I.e., return to just listening to music for enjoyment and nevermind hi-fi for a while.

I'm 39, I am officially burnt out from work, we just had our second kid, our 4 year old is going out of his way to challenge us, and my music listening has not waned at all, ever. Other hobbies ebb and flow, but I don't consider music enjoyment to be a hobby but rather a fixed reference of enjoyment in my life. Everyone is probably different though.

I did not use my system for 8 years, it was all still plugged in during that period. It was in a loft room and did not use it till I moved house. Nothing to do with kids, just lost interest. Thing was I was surrounded by music, the reason being I had an import CD and vinyl company at the time.

I go through times when I get bored with the same old music but it generally doesn't last too long. I do think it is harder these days to keep up with new music and youtube, spotify and so on have algorithms that try to encourage you to listen to similar stuff ad infinitum. I do think a decent quality hifi helps - listening to great musicianship on a well produced album is really something special, for me at least....

I think I’ve played about five CDs on my system in the last year. My wife won’t let me sell it all, even though she doesn’t use it.

I know I’ll get back into it at some point, but as I’m never, and I mean never, in the house on my own, I struggle to summon up the enthusiasm to play anything.

Due to 2 house moves, stuff being in storage, and kids (now 8 and 10) my music habits have dwindled over the last 10 years. I find if I have an hour or two to spare I watch a movie, and I don't actually know when I Iast "listened" to a whole record... 15 years ago? I wonder whether I should just sell the gear, and maybe revisit the hobby when the kids leave home or I retire (15+ years). Has anyone else experienced this? Did they fight it?

Quite similar here. Two daughters; I listened occasionally while they were growing up but never seriously considered selling my system (or my records -good lord, that is part of my youth/history :))

Very glad that I still have it all (and new power amp); lockdowns, retirement, eldest daughter has left home to start a family, youngest away in Brighton at uni' and here I am "rediscovering" my record collection - amazing how some records that I just thought were ok now enthral me.

When I worked in live music, I went through long periods where the last thing I wanted to do on my own time was to listen to more music.

We listened together in the sofa, sometimes the rabbit joined us. It used to listen attentively to solos.

My interest has been pretty steady. Any ebb and flow is mostly due to what's being released in any given year.

I used to listen a lot, kids or not.

Now I listen even more.
35 hours a week minimum at a guess.

Same thing happened to me. Three kids, three moves, busier than h_ll at work. It started for me about 30 years ago when we moved into a house with awful acoustics. I still listen to music, but not on my high end system so much. My discrimination abilities have definitely declined, maybe that's why(?)

I was without a hi-fi for a years or two when I started IT contracting in That London, but I made do with a portable CD player and gigs. I didn’t stop buying. That aside, never, though I’ve fairly actively avoided the conventional things people do with their lives (families, kids etc). I like my space too much. Music has been the constant. Always there. Always something new to explore. I can’t imagine life without it.

That reminds me that I had a portable CD player back in the early ‘90s when I did a lot of work-related travelling around UK universities. Until some bastard stole it from me on the London to Edinburgh sleeper.

Still got mine, and somewhat amazingly it still works! I remember buying it from one of the many electronics shops on on Tottenham Court Rd.

Music??? I'm just here for the box-swapping.

Seriously though, I did more or less lose interest for a while. Days or weeks could go by without me putting a record on. It turned out that I hadn't realised that I didn't really like my turntable. That's all solved now, in spadesful.

advertisement

Back