advertisement

Eurovision 2024 thread

notaclue

pfm Member
It's almost that time of year.

I am about 2/3 the way through the playlist of the songs and, even with just skipping through for (very) minimal exposure of each one, my initial thoughts are... I really should be paid for doing this 😱 Not big money. £100-ish.

I did, however, note that Germany will be represented by a young Robbie Coltrane this year. Uncanny.

220px-ISAAK_-_2024046143853_2024-02-15_Eurovision_Song_Contest_-_Das_deutsche_Finale_2024_-_Sven_-_1D_X_MK_II_-_1469_-_B70I3746_%28cropped%29.jpg

I liked Estonia. Best song by a mile.

PS I did skip ahead to see what professionally polished pap Sweden would be serving up this year and thankfully its decidedly sub-standard so they won't win.

hope it all goes off safely but its going to be very tricky

israel's National Security Council on Thursday issued an advisory warning against travelling to Malmo.
With a population of 360,000, it is one of Sweden's most diverse cities. Some of Malmo's 1,200-strong Jewish community have said they feel nervous and apprehensive.
Malmo also has a sizeable Palestinian community, and the contest has provoked strong feelings and weekly protests for months demanding that Eurovision boycott Israel.
In the busy Triangeln area, Yomn Kadoura, one of the rally organisers and a Palestinian resident, told the BBC: "Israel is not welcome to Malmo because they are bombing civilian people in Gaza."

Can't imagine I'll be any more inclined to watch it this year than any other year...so I won't...

A reminder that Estonia is very good. Vid has had almost 2 million views so quite popular. Though I see Dutch bloke (a knowingly funny song) has 22 million views so that looks to be this year's wildcard for the funnies.

Estonia...

hope it all goes off safely but its going to be very tricky

israel's National Security Council on Thursday issued an advisory warning against travelling to Malmo.
With a population of 360,000, it is one of Sweden's most diverse cities. Some of Malmo's 1,200-strong Jewish community have said they feel nervous and apprehensive.
Malmo also has a sizeable Palestinian community, and the contest has provoked strong feelings and weekly protests for months demanding that Eurovision boycott Israel.
In the busy Triangeln area, Yomn Kadoura, one of the rally organisers and a Palestinian resident, told the BBC: "Israel is not welcome to Malmo because they are bombing civilian people in Gaza."

Israel should not be allowed to participate, Russia aren't!

Toe-curling cringe sells, no matter the culture. I'm of the opinion there must be many viewers tuning in who derive entertainment from this annual procession of calamitous noise fully aware of how dire most of it is, probably hoping for a dose of extra faux-pax to overtake proceedings.

John

Bless my old folks, 84/88. They sit down each year, with a glass of wine & snacks, & watch the whole thing. They don't really understand it's just a load of camp baloney, but seem to feel inclined to be involved in watching a reasonably serious European yearly musical event. I do know only this- that Dad watches it for the 'dolly birds' & Mum (a Mahler, Sibelius & Opera fan) just tags along at the evening's proceedings (that Dad 'conducts' via his TV remote) whilst doing her crossword, getting a bit tipsy to stave off the sequinned nonsense.

Capt

But isn't Israel an ally of Europe and Russia is an enemy and this is Eurovision? If there was a Northkoreavision then I could see Russia participating and not Israel, which would make it fair again.

But isn't Israel an ally of Europe and Russia is an enemy and this is Eurovision? If there was a Northkoreavision then I could see Russia participating and not Israel, which would make it fair again.
Russia were banned after invading Ukraine! However routinely massacring babies and children in Gaza is obviously not of the same magnitude as they're only Muslims :rolleyes: Hopefully Israel will get the treatment it deserves in the competition and then Netanyahu will doubtless declare the whole contest to be anti-Semitic!

Equally relevantly, they are not in Europe! So why are Lebanon and Syria not in, they are closer to Europe? Unless as a settler state they are considered European? But then they don't like to be called a settler state.

Equally relevantly, they are not in Europe! So why are Lebanon and Syria not in, they are closer to Europe? Unless as a settler state they are considered European? But then they don't like to be called a settler state.

Lebanon would have been in it, but they objected to Israel and would not show the Israeli song. "Lebanese legislation prohibited the broadcast of Israeli content on Lebanese television" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest

My prediction is that the comical geopolitical block voting and BBC's description will be the best things about it...

"Olly Alexander is trapped in a post-apocalyptic boxing gym, aboard a spaceship hurtling towards earth in 1985.
A 'goth gremlin goblin witch' is holding a candlelit séance and summoning the spirit of a minotaur.
Nemo (the singer, not the fish) has skinned a muppet and is cavorting around in its skin, while singing Mozart’s Queen Of The Night.
It can only be the Eurovision Song Contest."

advertisement

Back