advertisement

Ethernet or Wi Fi

Possibly off at a tangent here, but a long run in my house was done with Cat 5 cable, and on testing, the wireless shows double the speed of the Cat 5 (>200 Mbps vs <100 Mbps).
While we are on the subject, how come Cat 6 carries signals twice as fast as Cat 5. Wire is wire right?

How do you know Cat6 is twice as fast? Wireless is of course wireless...

And yes, when you try to do hundreds or thousands of MHz, wire impedance, topology and design starts to matter.

Possibly off at a tangent here, but a long run in my house was done with Cat 5 cable, and on testing, the wireless shows double the speed of the Cat 5 (>200 Mbps vs <100 Mbps).
While we are on the subject, how come Cat 6 carries signals twice as fast as Cat 5. Wire is wire right?

It doesn't. Electricity travels at the same speed through copper wire and its pretty fast approaching (mostly) that of light. No, cables attenuate AC be that pulses or sine waves due to resistance, capacitance and inductance. The higher the frequency the more effect that L & C will have. Thus with Cat6 cable data starts at 10Gbps for short cable runs but at 164' it is down to 1Gbps the same as Cat5e.

Oh did I fergit to mention crosstalk? That goes on a lot on pfm!

Cheers,

DV

Your Cat 5 cable runs at 100Mbps because it is being driven at 100Mbps. Assuming the cable is in good condition, terminated correctly, not excessively long and not exposed to excessive noise, it would probably support 1Gbps if driven by a gigabit switch. If you already have a gigabit switch, then it is likely that one or more of the above conditions has not been met.

Another fun fact is that wired Ethernet can be run full duplex or half duplex. Full duplex means that your 100Mbps Ethernet can carry 100Mbps in both directions simultaneously.

Ethernet is always to be preferred as high frequency radiation is a known cause of health issues in the long run. So no WiFi in my home, nor DECT, bluethooth etc...

Ethernet is always to be preferred as high frequency radiation is a known cause of health issues in the long run. So no WiFi in my home, nor DECT, bluethooth etc...

No mobile phone either?

Any pointers to research actually showing health issues? Seems the issue is controversial, to say the least...

The UK government doesn't seem to agree with you: Public Health England - Wi-Fi

You do realise that the earth is flooded with photons some of which have very high energies indeed. Radio frequencies are relatively low energy by comparison. You can't escape them those pesky photons are everywhere.

Its the intensity that matters.

Cheers,

DV

You're just making life hard for yourself unnecessarily. It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to your health.

I found this on the Internet...

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (part of the World Health Organisation) has classified WiFi as "possibly carcinogenic", along with coffee, carpentry and pickled vegetables.

Will ethernet connection to TV and laptop remove all buffering once and for all?

If you are receiving TV, films or audio streams over the Internet then buffering is a big advantage to have as it stops 'stuttering'. The Internet is designed for bursty traffic so the throughput varies depending on the loading. So if your device says gimme some more data but the Internet delays this you will experience stuttering. Buffering overcomes this by providing a steady stream of traffic to your CODEC's.

Cheers,

DV

Buffering in my rural location is such a bore, with no likely improvement in the short term, really influencing this source for music.

Hard wired is a gurgillion times faster and more reliable than Wifi, so Ethernet every time if you can.

advertisement

Back