advertisement

Espionage film suggestions please…

The PBS or MSNBC coverage of the ongoing Trump legal proceedings takes some beating. There may not be enough popcorn on the planet for what is likely coming.

Another Redford one, Sneakers, more "fun" and security with only a tinge of espionage rather than stimulating but entertaining all the same.

About to watch "Other People's Lives," about the DDR's STASI in the 1980s. Not really an espionage film, but nice. (Saw it years ago)

Just finished Kleo on Netflix, the rather quirky but entertaining story of a Stasi agent who sets out to get the people who unfairly put her in jail for life.

About to watch "Other People's Lives," about the DDR's STASI in the 1980s. Not really an espionage film, but nice. (Saw it years ago)

I’m sure you meant ‘The Lives of Others’ (Das Leben Der Anderen). I thought it was brilliant.

I heard on the news that families of athletes murdered by terrorists during the 1972 Munich Olympics finally reached a compensation deal with the Israeli government… which jogged my memory to recommend the Steven Spielberg film ‘Munich’.

I’m sure you meant ‘The Lives of Others’ (Das Leben Der Anderen). I thought it was brilliant.

I heard on the news that families of athletes murdered by terrorists during the 1972 Munich Olympics finally reached a compensation deal with the Israeli government… which jogged my memory to recommend the Steven Spielberg film ‘Munich’.

On the same theme a relatively minor film, but in some ways better than "Munich," is "The Sword of Gideon," with Rod Steiger as the spymaster.

Another Michael Caine espionage type film, although not so well known is "The Whistle Blower". It was filmed in my old hometown of Cheltenham, where GCHQ is. It seems to generally get quite good reviews.

Another shout out for 'No Way Out'. Seen it numerous times and still find it gripping/entertaining. Strong performances from Costner and supporting cast, including Gene Hackman (of course).

John

Not a film, but a TV series, The Capture on BBC. There are two seasons. It's difficult to explain the programme without giving away spoilers. But anything with Ron Perlman in its cast has to be worth a watch.

advertisement

Back