advertisement

Espionage film suggestions please…

HarryCrumb

pfm Member
Hello all…

I’m completely out of films to watch and could do with some suggestions. I do like a good spy film, such as Tinker Tailor, and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. I prefer a solid story line over action, so I’m not so bothered about Bond, or Jason Bourne (the books were great though).

Thanks

HC

The Ipcress file is a classic. Not sure about the other Harry Palmer films as I haven't seen them.

My favourite Le Carre adaptation of recent years is The Little Drummer Girl - great central performance from Florence Pugh and the director (Park Chan-wook) tries to do something quite different (artful and elliptical) from the usual fare.

Last edited:
The Ipcress file is a classic. Not sure about the other Harry Palmer films as I haven't seen them.

The first half / two thirds of Ipcress is absolutely iconic.

Billion Dollar Brain is piss poor.

IntroSpy.jpg

Thinking of more recent movies, I thought Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies was superb.

Someone told me about that and I'd forgotten the name of it, thanks. Based on a true events I believe.

Thanks for all the other suggestions so far, all great. I hadn't realised that there was a film version of Little Drummer Girl. I just found out that Philip Seymour Hoffman is in a version of A Most Wanted Man, another Le Carre book.

Not a spy movie as such, but a visceral, chilling depiction of the CIA orchestrated September 11th 1973 Chilean coup. Jack Lemmon as a patriotic US father searching for his missing son, whose eyes are slowly opened to the reality of US foreign policy. Masterful film making (see also Z, about the 1967 Greek military coup by the same filmmaker).

Hello all…

I’m completely out of films to watch and could do with some suggestions. I do like a good spy film, such as Tinker Tailor, and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. I prefer a solid story line over action, so I’m not so bothered about Bond, or Jason Bourne (the books were great though).

Thanks

HC

The Bourne storyline and characters are very strong imo (despite deviating hugely from the books) - worth watching the first three at least once.

advertisement

Back