advertisement

Esoteric Audio Research 516 + photos of the EAR 802 (mm) and EAR "The Preamp" (mm/mc)

I corrected the list. The 110w was a typo. I would be grateful for additons to the list and any corrections.

I also heard that EAR will be continued by his son. I hope that the company will thrive in the future.

If the 509s for sale are the ones in Denmark, I am afraid that they have been "modified" by the former Danish importer, whom Tim was furious with for their unauthorised "revisions".

Power amps:
EAR 509 Mki + Mkii (1x100) + Jubilee (1x100)
EAR 510
EAR 511 (1x100)
EAR 516 (2x50)
EAR 518 (2x100)
EAR 519 (1x100)
EAR 521 (1x500)
EAR 529 (1x500)
EAR 534 (2x50)
EAR 549 (1x220)
EAR 861 (2x32)
EAR 890 (2x70)
EAR Yoshino 30A + 30B (2x30)
EAR G32/G34
Paravicini M100 (1x100)

Integrated amps:
EAR 8L6 (2x50)
EAR 834 (2x50)
EAR 834T (2x100)
EAR 859 (2x13)
EAR 869 (2x15)
EAR 899 (2x70)
EAR V12 (2x50)
EAR V20 (2x24)

Preamps:
"The Preamp" (MC)
EAR 802 mk. I+mk. II+ mk III (MM)
EAR 834L + Deluxe (Line stage),
EAR 864 (MM/MC)
EAR 868L (Line stage) + EAR 868PL (MM/MC)
EAR 912 (MM/MC)
EAR G88
EAR P52 (52 valve circuit)
Paravicini 312

Phono pre-amps:
EAR 324 (MM/MC)
EAR 834P Signature + Deluxe (MM or MM/MC)
EAR 88PB (MM/MC)
EAR Phonobox (MM/MC)

MC-step-ups:
"The Head" by Tim de Paravicini
EAR MC3
EAR MC4

Headphone amp:
EAR HP4

A few pics of some of the EAR gear I've owned (none of it currently):

first of all my favourite of the lot, the V20. I preferred it with the 'ears' removed:

aaKc4Tn.jpg

vDUDFbv.jpg

gmPsdxR.jpg

899 (integrated version of the 890):

pqkbwV4.jpg

0qIJDBY.jpg

509 monoblocks:

rRiNFHi.jpg

MC3:

dRRzkO7.jpg

912:

HBBQ2II.jpg

I've had a few others as well if I find any more pics I'll post them.

BTW I don't think 'The Head' was ever officially branded EAR. I had one (vastly over-hyped in my view, mainly by people who have never heard one - at current prices you can do better for much fewer £££) ... mine at least was branded simply 'The Head' and had Paravicini's name on it.

Thanks!
I have amended the list in accordance with your comments, Tom. The 802 was branded "Esoteric Audio Research" on the frontwith "Designed by Tim de Paravicini, England" in small print in the bottow right hand corner.

Beautiful kit! "Beautifuller"* without the protective grid.

* This unauthorised form is for your delectation, Mike Reed. Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU, I can do whatever I want with the English language.

* This unauthorised form is for your delectation, Mike Reed. Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU, I can do whatever I want with the English language.
:)

Indeed, Peter. most people do anyway, especially here, much to my chagrin ! Can't imagine that you'd be allowed to go too far off curriculum though. Try teaching Cockney rhyming slang, though orally, Geordie might be a giggle.;)

That's a spoof; her English is better than that supposedly quoted! The Eire lilt is mandatory and pleasant as opposed to the Northern Irish accent, which I always think has a slightly threatening aspect to it. Had a very good friend from Belfast, and he always seemed to get the girls, so maybe it's just me. As English was imposed upon the Irish for centuries when Gaelic was the lingua franca of most of the population, so not really their ethnic language, I'm not sure what 'Irish English' is.

I hope this doesn't lead to an avalanche of Irish jokes (some of which are rather good).:)

There was a young man from Limerick ...

And now ... an aside ...
Oh. We don't have a set curriculum in my small kingdom, but we do have area studies that need to be covered through a variety and breath of "topics" - a minimum of 8 topics for our 2-year-long B-level classes, a minimum of 12 topics - including as slice of Shakespeare - for our 3-year-long A-level classes.

Area studies
... should cover 2-4 English-speaking countries/areas,
... and (perhaps) the development and "dispersal" (and return to base) of the English language. I usually do that with my A-level students only.
.... literary periods, authors, genres (fiction, poetry, song lyrics, varieties of non-fiction texts (including spoken word), music videos and short and long feature films, drama, graphic texts),
.... topics such as "The First World War", "Evil", "Weird Stories/Stories with a Twist", "Fantasy", "Minimalism", "American Values", "Clash of Cultures in the UK", "The Troubles", "Hooliganism", "Conspiracy Theories", "The Travellers", "Into the Wild and Romanticism (Thoreau, Whitman and ..McCandles) etc. etc.
.... as well as one full volume: a novel or a play or a collection of short stories or cycle of poems or a non-fiction book.

My students are 15-19-year-olds with varying degrees of skills and "oomph" for studying.

BTW I don't think 'The Head' was ever officially branded EAR. I had one (vastly over-hyped in my view, mainly by people who have never heard one - at current prices you can do better for much fewer £££) ... mine at least was branded simply 'The Head' and had Paravicini's name on it.

That's right. No ear on the head (see what I did there?)

It says.

High End Audio Devices

THE HEAD

TX4

Designed by Tim de Paravicini

I would post a picture but I'm either not allowed or in some more shameful way unable to do that.

Oh and I agree that they're over-hyped, but I like mine. It does sound nice and it's rare, which is always nice, and I find it pleasing to use.

:)

That's a spoof; her English is better than that supposedly quoted! The Eire lilt is mandatory and pleasant as opposed to the Northern Irish accent, which I always think has a slightly threatening aspect to it. Had a very good friend from Belfast, and he always seemed to get the girls, so maybe it's just me. As English was imposed upon the Irish for centuries when Gaelic was the lingua franca of most of the population, so not really their ethnic language, I'm not sure what 'Irish English' is.

Tis indeed a spoof in fact I never expected to discover that Luxemburgers had a sense of humour.

BTW although I'm a Scot, if you go back to great grand parents I'm 7/8 Irish myself and before the age of 18 spent many summers in Doneygal with extended family. I'm actually pretty good at locating Irish accents and can categorically say that not all 'southern' accents are lilting and pleasant any more than 'northern' ones. Many of us Scots-Irish decendants have held onto that identity pretty tightly (look at Celtic).

But you have to be careful - Irish history and its language status are both pretty complex subjects. The Greeks were aware of Ireland wrote accounts of having been there. The Romans tended to identify a place by its people or tribe and by the 'Scotti'' they meant the tribal gaelic-speaking Scots and Irish (in a way the Scots gaelic speakers were a kind of overspill - the grandeur of gaelic high culture was largely on the island of Ireland). But there was a viking (Germanic speaking) presence in Ireland right through the Anglo-Saxon period, and a Norman one as well very soon after the conquest of England (both also apply to Scotland). (The Normans were also originally vikings, of course).

The area around Dublin (and later to some extent around Cork) was anglicised pretty early on and was considered very much part of the English-speaking world for centuries. Handel's Messiah was premiered in Dublin (the composer directing), Mendelsohn conducted there and Liszt and Chopin performed.

Anyway, not a simple topic.

I paid £1,600 for my black chrome pair in 1988.

They were a lot newer then and the retail price was a lot lower (a lot !). I can't remember what I paid, some 7 or 8 years ago; a wee bit under that, I think, but servicing, carriage and valve costs since have bumped that up considerably (3 times). Russell of this parish returns his Anniversaries biennually for service and my manual does say 'every 2 years or 4000 hours'. Maybe he uses his a lot but I doubt I use mine 500 hours p.a. on average.

£5K is a bit much, methinks, for that pair on Ebay.

including a slice of Shakespeare

I chose English as my major study in teaching college, only to have it dawn on me that language was a side issue and Shakespeare a major component. After less than one term I couldn't cope with any more and switched to art (well, I did have art O level !). Got hooked on tie-dying and fabric printing for three years and ended up with a lookalike colourful drapery in my final exhibition. Sod all to do with the English language ! You could say I was tongue-tied, I s'pose.

20 years of permanent and supply teaching involved both lang. and lit., as it does in all schools, but luckily I only had the occasional brush with Shakespeare. Doing E.F.L. for nearly another 20 years, off and on, was what I'd hoped to do back in college; the nuts and bolts of a language; the whys and wherefores and the myriad intricacies and nuances of vocabulary and grammar.

Losing it a bit now, unfortunately; lack of practice, but still find it fascinating. Do wish I'd started earlier in life though instead of a decade of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll; no, hang on. that WAS college life !

A friend of mine has EAR 549s which desperately are in need of a service. The amps are located in Lyon, France. The owner has basic diy skills but hesitates to do it by himself. Does anybody know who in France (preferabely close to Lyon) can help? The amps were last serviced by Tim in '91.

I completely understand why he wouldn't want to - I hate posting anything breakable anywhere and will generally go to great lengths to avoid - but 549s I really would advise him to send back to EAR.

but 549s I really would advise him to send back to EAR.

My 509s in their individual boxes and within the large exterior box weigh in at a little less than 40 kg. If UPS (or rather, their useless local contractor) can bugger up the delivery plus damaging the big box in many places (costing £60 from EAR for a replacement), I share his concern. Plus the extra shipping costs/insurance etc. I'm amazed they're still functioning after 20 years !

Also, bump for an interesting thread.

A friend of mine has EAR 549s which desperately are in need of a service. The amps are located in Lyon, France. The owner has basic diy skills but hesitates to do it by himself. Does anybody know who in France (preferabely close to Lyon) can help? The amps were last serviced by Tim in '91.

I would definitely send it to the UK - although I would wait until the back-log because of Brexit has been dealt with. EAR will be able to arrange courier service to the UK and back. Contact Dena Ross. Having EAR book the courier saved me a lot. In addition to this, the hourly rate for repair is around £60 (or was) so very reasonable and you know that the unit you get back sounds the way it was designed to sound in the first place. My power amp was serviced by Tim de Paravicini himself.

advertisement

Back