advertisement

Esoteric Audio Research 516 + photos of the EAR 802 (mm) and EAR "The Preamp" (mm/mc)

My 509s in their individual boxes and within the large exterior box weigh in at a little less than 40 kg. If UPS (or rather, their useless local contractor) can bugger up the delivery plus damaging the big box in many places (costing £60 from EAR for a replacement), I share his concern. Plus the extra shipping costs/insurance etc. I'm amazed they're still functioning after 20 years !

Also, bump for an interesting thread.

Yeah, i totally share his concern too. It's not something I would do lightly by any means, or indeed if there was any reasonable choice. But as he clearly doesn't know anyone locally, he's either going to end up sending them somewhere or taking a chance on someone who may not really know what they're doing. As I say, I avoid posting anything if I can possibly help it, but in this case I probably would.

I am such a newbie to the EAR world. Two weeks after Tim's passing, my audio guru friend who knows that I'm looking for a power amp to drive my JBL TL260's, mentioned that an EAR 518 came up for grabs.

I said I first I want to have a audition listening session... Etc.... Etc. Well, did I get an ear full, no pun intended. And a smack against the head for good measure. He said you buy, no worries about condition etc. So I did. I guess you gents/ladies know what nirvana I'm having. My guru did have the pleasure to have had a few design discussions with Tim when Tim was still in South Africa.

I shall part for no amount of money for my EAR 518.

Congratulations! I would like to see some photos of your EAR 518. Just post them here via a link from Imgur or another cloud service.

Also what makes up the rest of your kit?

I had the honour of speaking to Tim after he had serviced my EAR 516 gor 7-8 hours. He came across as principled but kind and he answered my questions readily.

If anybody has the cash, there is a set of Paravicini 312 and M100As from 2000 for sale here for €23,000:
https://www.audio-markt.de/market/ear-yoshino-paravincini-m-100a-paravincini-312-374157086

Looks like a nice set to end the hifi journey with.
374157086_0_g.jpg

Ye gods! Didn't know that T de P ever did bling. Might have looked better in black, though,

I think the styling was influenced by the Art Deco era, I thought the EAR amps were nearly always blingy with the chromed fascia and gold knobs, bling enough to put me off , the black finish on the 834p was fine though.

55 watts would be enough for me. But seeing that 312 + M100A combo makes me think that ... if only I had not already spent roughly that amount over the last 15 years. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of 'Come Fly With Me' (Sinatra?) when I see those M100s above. Those meters look exactly the same as the ones in my 912 pre., but different purpose so maybe same company, different meters.

My 509s in their individual boxes and within the large exterior box weigh in at a little less than 40 kg. If UPS (or rather, their useless local contractor) can bugger up the delivery plus damaging the big box in many places (costing £60 from EAR for a replacement), I share his concern. Plus the extra shipping costs/insurance etc. I'm amazed they're still functioning after 20 years !

Also, bump for an interesting thread.
Variously ( in that same packaging) my 509 Anniversaries would come back with the anode caps knocked off ( Tim would subsequently apply a blob of black silicon gel to brace them against the roof of the valve cage) and on one occasion the output valves hanging out of their sockets at a jaunty angle- where the box had obviously had a sudden deceleration incident- ie dropped from a good height onto its side.

Later today I will pick up an EAR 324 - the solid state phono stage with internal EAR MC3 SUT that forms part of the EAR 312 that I linked to earlier in the thread. I will of course snap a few photos of it when I have actually got it here.

As promised, my EAR 324P playing back "Shellshock" by New Order fed by my Poul Ladegaard and Denon 103D:
ROhopRKh.jpg

The back of it:

pi4NMOWh.jpg

The whole rack with a blurry EAR 516 that will soon have black buttons to match the EAR 324P. Then I will source some replacement buttons for my AD Audio Satchmo. I think I ordered it with black buttons, now I come to think of it.

HtADsmNh.jpg

Earlier in the day I played back some 70s Gasolin records (a very local Danish band) and I heard instruments delineated like I never before heard them. And I must have heard each of those (vinyl) tracks 100s of times when I grew up. I always thought that Gasolin had been produced somewhat less than perfect. But I was very wrong. Drums sounded like 70s drums and brass instruments sounded very real and had texture. That is what a Decca Maroon in a Fidelity Research FR24 tonearm into an EAR 324P will do with the rest of the chain in place. :cool:

S6lxoAPh.jpg

I will also have the blue LED on the AD Satchmo replaced with a red LED to match the EAR amps. That is for later.

A friend of mine has EAR 549s which desperately are in need of a service. The amps are located in Lyon, France. The owner has basic diy skills but hesitates to do it by himself. Does anybody know who in France (preferabely close to Lyon) can help? The amps were last serviced by Tim in '91.

I know it's a long way, but I would be tempted to book them in with EAR and drive them to St. Neots, Cambridge myself! It would make a nice trip / holiday and it ensures the amps are safely delivered and returned in person.

That is what a Decca Maroon in a Fidelity Research FR24 tonearm into an EAR 324P will do with the rest of the chain in place. :cool:

I bet! What an interesting combo, Peter. Have an nagging inclination to try a Decca again. Last one (London Blk or C4E) was in '75. That 324 looks very like the 912 (which you've had, of course) without the meters.. Seems that you're fond of playing by EAR !!!!!

Decca C4E should be one of the best Deccas around. I am glad that I got a Decca. It does not seem as smooth or full as the Denon 103R but it makes instruments sound right.

The Ear 324P was derived from the EAR 312 depicted above. It uses the MC3 transformers whereas the EAR 912 uses the MC4 ones with 4 settings. Where the EAR 324P is more versatile is with MM cartridges where there are quite a few adjustment possibilities including a 33K load for Decca carts. I use that for now. 47k is for a later date.
I can switch between tonearms/carts by pressing a tiny button, and can make side by side comparisons. Now I am just too busy revisiting my record collection to bother, but I intend to invite friends over for a listen when the current lock-down is over.

Here are two photos of my EAR 516 with black knobs sourced from EAR UK. I think it will make a few people happy to know that the ones I received have a slightly brushed surface so you can get a good grip on them. They are the same type used on the EAR 324P. The silver ones that came with the EAR 516 were polished.
P8wpCD6h.jpg

tl0Cr9Qh.jpg

The photos remind me that I have to dust off my kit again and tidy a bit.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back