advertisement

Erik's Seiko Thread

ErikL

pfm Member
I bought an inexpensive Seiko from Singapore. It lacks the *bling bling* of Tony L's Orange Monster but it's a Seiko! ;-)

[EDIT: Correct the model number] SNZG15J1 - Seiko Military Automatic
snzg15j_51.jpg

That site (Yeoman's Weblog) and his other one (Windows Live: Yeoman's Weblog) is an excellent resource for those in the market for a Seiko or Orient.

that's a nice watch! a classic Seiko 5. Who says watches have to cost a lot?

I have some expensive ones - a breitling, gold dress watch etc - but the one I wear almost every day is one I bought for scuba diving..

http://www.m2cshop.com/store/product.php?productid=366

I can kick it around, swim in it, dive with it, gym with it on, shower, sleep, it can be bashed trashed and if stolen I'd just get another.

As a practical item, it knocks my fancy watches into a cocked hat..

That looks pretty good. At £40 it's great! My current watch is a £60 Swatch bought in an Italian airport and it's a favourite. My only criticism is that when you wear out a strap and crack a glass on a Swatch the price of repair exceeds its replacement cost.

Looks great, Erik.

Has everything a watch needs -- hands, clean uncluttered face, day and date display.

Is it reasonably accurate for a mechanical watch?

Joe

I'm a fan of seikos for sure.
My current is one of those solar powered titanium case ones that my girlfriend's mother bought me. Great watch and when I go to Japan it picks up radio waves and sets the time itself.

Looks great, Erik.

Has everything a watch needs -- hands, clean uncluttered face, day and date display.

Is it reasonably accurate for a mechanical watch?

Joe

Sorry, gonna sound like a bit of a saddo here, but IIRC the watch in question uses the Seiko 7s26 mechanism, which is supposedly good for accuracy of around 30 seconds a day. It's the same mechanism that's in my SXK007, and that does gain around 30 secs/day.
Having said that, I read an article recently about how to "tune" the watch. If you take the back off, there's a lever than can be adjusted to improve the accuracy during a day. Looks like a fairly straightforward process, but you'd need to have a tool to get the back of the watch off.

Sorry, gonna sound like a bit of a saddo here, but IIRC the watch in question uses the Seiko 7s26 mechanism, which is supposedly good for accuracy of around 30 seconds a day. It's the same mechanism that's in my SXK007, and that does gain around 30 secs/day.
Having said that, I read an article recently about how to "tune" the watch. If you take the back off, there's a lever than can be adjusted to improve the accuracy during a day. Looks like a fairly straightforward process, but you'd need to have a tool to get the back of the watch off.

My 'Orange Monster' gains a lot, sufficiently so that I set it before going out if I have anything time-critical to do that day e.g. catching a train. I think mine gains about 6 minutes a month, something like that anyway. I plan to take the back off and give the regulator (the thing you describe) a gentle nudge at some point. I understand from reading about Seikos that it is very sensitive indeed so move it in very small increments.

Tony.

PS I'd never viewed the OM as 'bling', quite the reverse in fact - I find it funny in the way some quirky Storm watches are, e.g. just total overkill to a comedy level. It's bright orange FFS, that ain't macho!

My 13th Birthday present was a Seiko 5 watch with an oyster strap. It is still going strong today. I have a Seiko SKX009 divers watch, very nice it is too.

Nice watches everyone!! I too wear a Seiko for my everyday. It's a SKX007 on an Oyster bracelet and despite being quite a few years old, and being used as my beater it remains unblemished. These watches use the Cal. 7S26 autowinding mechanism which is v. good, though difficult to adjust spot-on (part of its charm), but i still prefer them to the kinetic/electronic versions...in fact I love 'em.

Just before he died my dad sent me a Seiko 5 automatic from Saudi for my 21st(30 years ago) it was quite a heavy watch as I remember-the later versions seem very light and tinny in comparison-could be wrong, memory is all I have since a scumbag burglar relieved me of it years ago.
I now have a Seiko Chronograph with a cool yellow face that's tough as old boots.

Nice looking watch Erik. How big is it -- seems hard to get a watch that's less than 42 mm these days.

Dan

advertisement

Back