advertisement

Ergo Number Nine - Adventures in Micromonitor Design

Quincy,

That epic journey might have lasted only 5 hours, but your and Mr Tibbs' convivial company has left a permanent impression. I was just showing our visitors, who interrupted my E-IX project last Sunday, the commemorative shotglass you made for us.

International travel might have made the world smaller and more accessible, but it's still a frigging long way to go. Did you come anywhere near my neck of the woods on your recent travels?

James

Quincy,

Did you come anywhere near my neck of the woods on your recent travels?

James

James

I have yet to visit the Antipodes ... a long way to go to fire up a Makita or a De Walt!!

Conviviality is, as you know, a strong Irish trait but only in the company of people that we like and trust.

When the IVs are completed I'll arrange for a suitable shot glass to be delivered to NZ.

I am amongst the drumlins this afternoon offering up the ABW to the planer/thicknesser ... some pics soon on the other thread.

quincy

James, would you post up a wee pic showing one of the speakers against a common object so we can get a better feel for the size of them.

Mr Tibbs

Allow me, here is one against a common garden pea.

James did mention they were small

peas.jpg

Ha Ha, iGary. Good one. They are small but not quite as you've compared them.

In the light of day, once I have done a little bit more to finish both sets of baffles, I will pose them next to some common household items to give a better sense of size.

James

Any chance of emailing me the plans for the IXs?
The full plans are still work-in-progress. However, I can get the cab dimensions to you if you're in a hurry. Planning to build both the E-IX and E-IV at the same time?

James

james

I like the look of the IXs ... I might have a go at making the cabs with the offcuts of ABW just to get me used to 45 degree biscuiting.

quincy

The E-IXs have been progressing quietly, all four of them. Recall that there are two variants: (1) a wall mount, boundary-reinforced and grilled version that will have in-line drivers that I'm finishing in American Black Walnut, and (2) a free-standing version with offset and naked drivers finished in Sapele.

The ABW will feature a slightly recessed baffle to make room for the grille, and the baffle is currently getting progressively coated with Satin Black enamel paint. Here is one ABW cab (sans drivers) posing with a Tommy Castro CD.

6510822-lg.jpg

The baffles took a bit of time to prepare. There isn't much space behind them for fixings, especially given that they need to fit flush against the fillets. This means whatever I used to provide anchorage for the driver bolts will need to be flush with the surface. I have decided to use T-nuts simply because there isn't a great deal of material between the cutout and where the bolts need to be for a threaded insert. I also had to trim one leg of the T-nut to avoid fouling the driver chassis. These T-nuts were fitted in a 2mm recess cut with a forstner bit.

6510827-md.jpg

The woofer cutout was scalloped to help with airflow. Here is a 15W8530 midwoofer test-fitted to see if the scallops are sufficient to help them breathe properly.

6510842-md.jpg

The Sapele, naked driver version features a leathered baffle. Much like the rest of the Ergo series. It's partly an aesthetic reason, but also a functional one. Leather makes a good seal for the drivers without resort to sticky mastic or self-adhesive foam/neoprene tape. The leather was bonded to the baffle substrate with contact adhesive.

6510835-md.jpg

With the drivers fitted, here is what a single E-IX looks like.

6510841-lg.jpg

They're heavy little suckers, and that's before I've installed the XO with at least a pound or two of inductors. Note how the one behind has sunk comfortably into the sofa.

6510839-md.jpg

Here are a couple of front, back and side views to show the symmetrical M8 fixings and to illustrate that an extra 90mm of depth (compared to the standard LS3/5a box) is quite substantial.

6510831-md.jpg

6510834-md.jpg

Mr Tibbs said:
James, would you post up a wee pic showing one of the speakers against a common object so we can get a better feel for the size of them.

How about a standard 750ml bottle of Pinot Noir?

6510844-md.jpg

Or, against a range of toys?

6510830-md.jpg

They're not big at all, are they. Certainly not compared with the E-VIIIs standing over four times their height. :D

6510823-lg.jpg

They're closest in size to the 20 litre E-VIIs. Note how much darker aged Sapele looks.

6510824-lg.jpg

This weekend coming, I'm hoping to fashion a pair of stands from some scrap Sapele and start the measurement process to derive data for XO modeling. I can only hope there is enough space inside for a relatively simple XO.

James

... but before you throw it in the skip is there any chance of you cutting enough leather from the back of it to clad a pair of IVs?:D
No, unfortunately it's (a) the wrong colour for Ergos, and (b) there's not enough big pieces to clad the E-IVs.

E-IXs maybe, but see point (a). The sofa is also newer than the E-IVs and they're supposed to be soft and comfortable.

James

Great pic's indeed. They look fantastic - very purposeful!

I see quincy is at the NI-style irony again. He's a terrible man. (that's NI for good bloke, BTW).

Mr Tibbs

Splendid James,
I'm off to sharpen up my router bits!

I have the feeling that I will externalise the crossovers and probably glue the baffles in place rather than use bolts, do you see any problems with that approach?
Ashley

I see quincy is at the NI-style irony again. He's a terrible man.
Does osmosis work for NI-irony if I hang around you more frequently?

AshleyD said:
I have the feeling that I will externalise the crossovers and probably glue the baffles in place rather than use bolts, do you see any problems with that approach?
I can't imagine so. You would gain an extra quarter litre of enclosure volume with externalised XO, but that should not make a significant difference to the LF performance of the 15W8530K. Gluing should also be OK. My variants are bolted with a leather gasket (pics later) between the baffle and cabinets, but I don't think there is any compliance issue of significance.

James

Does osmosis work for NI-irony if I hang around you more frequently?

James, Ulster irony is often deemed to be insulting and offensive by those who experience it ... you would need to take a sabbatical for about 10 years to fully soak up the nuances of the genre.

quincy

I can't have experienced a great deal of Ulster irony then. I'm neither insulted nor offended. Only confused. Sometimes. Maybe that's my saving grace. :D

Would imbibing a larger quantity of Bush Mill help?

James

James

Mr Tibbs and I have made it our lives' work to confuse people at every opportunity.

Drinking Bushmills ( or self-medication as we refer to it ) will help ... whiskey and water ( chilled if you prefer ) in equal measures.

quincy

This is a rough sketch of the E-IX free-standing, offset driver variant.

6522035-lg.jpg

All the important dimensions should be there or easily derived. I have made a slight change to the way the fillets are cut. Instead of full circumference fillets, they are truncated so that the midwoofer is not obstructed. This negates the need to trim fillets with a jigsaw to make room for the driver frame. However, to accommodate the tweeter, part of the fillet on the near side will need to be trimmed. The rear fillets are full length 18mm square hardwood stock. Like everyone else, I have 20/20 hindsight. :D

The wall-mount version is essentially the same, except for the use of 18mm MDF for the baffle (still recessed 25mm to accommodate the grille) and in-line drivers, where the tweeter flange is cut 5mm from the edge of the midwoofer.

One key point to note: If anyone is building the naked driver version and use leather as I did to cover the baffle, allow an extra 1mm of radius to the driver cutouts to accommodate the thickness of the leather. The baffle itself will also need to be trimmed at least 1mm off each side to allow the leathered baffle to fit within the cabinet.

James

advertisement

Back