advertisement

Ergo E-IX Build

The wider the baffle, the lower the bass rolls off as the pressure wave traveling across the baffle wrap around the edges and start radiating in a 4pi space instead of just a 2pi space. It's called baffle step. The filter includes some baffle step correction hence the baffle width needs to remain about the same.
Thanks for stepping in with the explanation while I slept, Stefan. You're spot on.

Just a quick update - The concern I initially had regarding brightness has gone, likely the result of running in of the drivers as well as adding some soft furnishings to the rather small listening space. Previously there were some bass absorbers and some wall mounted acoustic panels but adding a fabric couch made a huge difference! (quite a surprise). I now also have them mounted in very rigid stands that are kitty litter filled, which in this case seems to work better than the older Kan style stands.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Ergo IX, I am still in awe at the dynamics and slam of the bass from such a small speaker. James really created a winner here.

I'm pleased (and completely unsurprised, ahem) that you like the E-IXs. They are quite unassuming. Their only foible is a demand for adequate amplification of at least 50W per channel.

I use my Ergo-IX with a Wadia 151PowerDAC Mini rated at 25 wpc (8 ohm) and 50 wpc (4 ohm). I enjoy this combination for hours everyday in a smallish room (12 ft X 17 ft) and at moderate volume levels. Perhaps I have not heard them at their best, but I want for nothing more.

Jeff,

I agree, although I certainly find that they really come on song as the volume increases - a bit like a race tuned engine coming 'on cam'!

They have replaced my Zu Essences which is quite a feat, in fact my whole system is now simplified for digital playback - MacBook - Optical out to JVC Z1010, Ergo's.

Perhaps I have not heard them at their best, but I want for nothing more.
That is contentment indeed. Your 25W may be entirely adequate. I have a variety of amplifiers to play with, and I find the E-IXs definitely respond well to more power. That being said, they play in a slightly bigger room than yours, so that may be the hair-splitting difference when I power them with my 30W amp. The other thing that make the difference is your amp doubles its power into halving impedances, which translates into a truer voltage source, whereas my little class-A amp doesn't.

I run my Ergo IXs from a MacBook -> SMSL M8 DAC -> HackerNAP -> bi-wired -> Ergos in my smallish home office. I love them and will never part with them. You'd have to rip them from my cold, dead, lifeless hands!

Congrats on your pair :)

I'm just finishing up my IXs and want to run bi-wired. How did you do yours?

I've installed Speakon 4-ways and am about to split the crossovers.

Thanks!

Do they make right-angle Speakons? 'Cause otherwise I wouldn't want to use such a large connector for a wall-proximity speaker.

Yes, I've got the right-angle Speakons and some Mogami 4 wire speaker cable that fits them perfectly. Stefan recessed the Speakon receptacles, so the connection only hangs out a hair over 4cm from the back of the speaker. I'll post some pix of the assembly process.

I'm thinking about buying or building some wall mount shelves. Any advice?

Thanks!

I installed Speakon 4-ways, used right-angle connectors, and completely lied about bi-wiring. Apparently it's still on the to-do list!

The IXs are on the other side of the office from my amp, so I've installed wall plates with screw/banana sockets next to the amp so I can run a short speaker wire from the amp to the wall sockets. Behind the wall sockets I've run some Mogami W3082 via the unfinished basement to the crossovers, which are mounted on a joist below the floor. From XO I run two lengths of 4-core Mogami W3104 to another wall socket on the other side of the office. The Ergos are connected via a final short length of W3104 each.

Do they make right-angle Speakons? 'Cause otherwise I wouldn't want to use such a large connector for a wall-proximity speaker.
They sure do.

3769831-lg.jpg

I went the other way. On-boarded the XO internally and single wired my E-IXs. I can't tell if that made any acoustic difference, but the box count was halved.

My Ergo-IXs are still breaking in. At first, I felt they were on the clinical/hard side with limited imaging and a tendency to muddy and get harsh in loud and complex passages. Gradually (about 50 hours now), they're sounding more "natural". Listening is still easier on jazz than on rock or classical, and the sweet spot is fairly limited. I think I need to throw more watts at them and try some other sources. I also need to sort an old 250 that's been laying in the "fix me" pile for far too long.

MacBook Pro running BitPerfect > Naim DAC-V1 > NAP140 (hot-rodded) > Ergo-IXs "bi-wired"
Man cave ~ 4.5m in every dimension (the back half of a re-purposed RV garage). Surfaces are "multi-dimensional". ;)

I really like these little speakers, I had another customer pick up the last pair I made this week so had them in. Every time I do I think I should make myself a pair.

Do it, Stefan. You wouldn't want to die having missed such a 'sure thing' opportunity, would you? I've almost get enough pennies for mine now.

I do have a test pair at the unit that are destined to be loaner units once I solder up the crossover, I've got more than enough parts to build my own. Problem is almost every speaker I build I think I'd like a pair of my own, there are only so many speakers I can fit in!

advertisement

Back