advertisement

Ergo E-IX Build

MartinC

pfm Member
Having resurrected an old pair of Kan II's, and found to my surprise they work exceedingly well with my Stingray tube amp, the DIY bug had bitten again and a pair of James' Ergo E-IX speakers are contemplated.

In looking at the BOM a few questions arise, perhaps other PFM'ers who have built them could chime in:

1) The drivers are no problem, but in the US sourcing the Jantzen 18uF cap is a problem, I can find a single 15 or 22uF, parallel a 10 and a 8.2, or use a different brand. Is the value or quality of this cap critical?

2) Any thought on using air core Goertz type foil inductors for the specified 0.27 mH air core inductor or even using an air core foil for the 1mH cored inductor? At the build price of the Ergo's a few extra dollars on components isn't really an issue.

Thanks guys!

Martin

Who is the dealer in the USA? They will be able to get the cap you need from Jantzen, just ring and ask. Alternatively email Michael at Jantzen and he will sort you out.

I'm sure James will be along but he will have modelled the inductors knowinging the DCR so that will need matching as well ideally.

Parts Express is the Jantzen dealer in USA. The 18uF is not ultra critical, but the tweeter series is. The Jantzen Superior is quite good for the price.

As for the coils, it matters less whether you are using Goertz type to replace the usual air coils, but the cored inductor was chosen for its low DCR. An air cored equivalent would be huge.

Parts Express is the Jantzen dealer in USA. The 18uF is not ultra critical, but the tweeter series is. The Jantzen Superior is quite good for the price.

As for the coils, it matters less whether you are using Goertz type to replace the usual air coils, but the cored inductor was chosen for its low DCR. An air cored equivalent would be huge.

Thanks all, thats exactly the information I was after, I'll try to not stray too far from the tried and tested route then!

Regards

Would you consider going over the passive XO of the Kan II first to see if there is potential in improving on this ? (newer, better caps?)

Has anyone done this, yet ?

I did actually remove the XO of my earlier Kans and went active, which really improved them. I suspect that there are some improvements to be had to the passive XO but getting the XO out is a pain and I am not really sure I want to spend too much more on them, having just had to replace both tweeters (one was blown and the other Linn had tightened down so hard that the flange was cracked off around half of the drive unit).

If I remember the XO has quite a few bipolar electrolytic caps so there could well be improvements, do you have Kan's as well?

yes, I have 3 pairs..
1 walnut very early series II w/o Ku-stone stuff, similar Mk1 I suppose
1 black ash, Ku Stone late model
and then I could not resist a cherry pair, same late specs just for the looks.

Did I mention I like Kans..? :)

Actually I had ever intended making one pair, the black (bad one) active,
didn't get a suitable naxo 2 way configured for Kans though, yet.

edit: ..lacking a naxo, improving on the passive XO by a few good quality caps where it makes sense & replacing the rest with new, matched solid quality could also do quite a bit, I thought.
The have a few days, meanwhile..

The Naxo for SBL's actually works really well for active Kan's. I had that version then modded the Naxo to change the values to those used for Kans and to be honest could not tell the difference. I can look up the differenced if you need them.

Kans are a bit like Caterham 7s. They are fun, if a bit rough around the edges. The E-IX are more like a Ariel Atom. Comparatively, you get more poke and sophistication, but still a helluva fun ride in a lightweight chassis.

And here is our take on the ergo E-IX. the speaker is in the correct size box up top, just its taller so can also fix the crossover and amp in the stand.

aCXRG7wl.jpg

Thanks Martin for the info the naxo2 version is basicly uncritical.
I imagine activating Kan is like putting a classic 911 enigine into an old beetle. :)
But while silently enjoying to surprise people, probably for less money there are better results in suspension, power (& power economy) and airodynamics with a modern concept today.

I have little doubt the Ergo E-IX is the best 'Kan' one can have today,
according my info the active Kan are seriously held back unless powered with at least 2 beefy and good dual mono amps,

and I suppose even then they won't be coming anywhere near James Ergos.

....surely not ! :)

I'm looking forward your findings with the Ergos E-IX,
especially in context of your active Kans is very interesting.

I own 2 pairs of kans and one pair of E-IXs...
As good as kans are, the E-IXs are not playing in the same league ...
So building a pair is definitely worth the hassle, IMHO !

I think this pair belongs with tof, if my memory serves.

14616352-lg.jpg

Absolutely stunning !

With the corresponding Kan-lookalike stands, he could even cheat a Kan owner being for visit into believing it was Kans..

..until they start playing.. :)

It took me quite a few moments..

advertisement

Back