advertisement

[FS] Epos ES 22 speakers

I’ve had ES11 and 14 and they were good (especially for the secondhand price) but not as amazing as I’d expected given the rave reviews on this site.
But then I felt the same about Yamaha NS1000 when I tried them!
The good thing about them all was I didn’t lose anything selling them on

Right room and the right system and they really shine. Especially the 14’s.

I’d have been all over these if I hadn’t gone to ATC actives, what a bargain!

I agree the 30 sound very different to the 22. The 30 take more volume to sound good too. I blew a tweeter in my 22 and still haven't got around to fitting the replacement.

I agree the 30 sound very different to the 22. The 30 take more volume to sound good too. I blew a tweeter in my 22 and still haven't got around to fitting the replacement.

which is ironic, as the 30’s bass driver bottoms out badly at relatively low volume level. The only speaker I’ve ever hit the end stops on

I read the bass issue with the ES25 was especially bad, leading to it being withdrawn early and the 30 replacing it. I haven't noticed any bass issues with my 30s. But then I never run them very loud, and have had a BK Electronics XLS200 on low end duties for a good while now.

I’ve had ES11 and 14 and they were good (especially for the secondhand price) but not as amazing as I’d expected given the rave reviews on this site.
But then I felt the same about Yamaha NS1000 when I tried them!

These speakers grow on you over time, there is nothing apparently "amazing" about them. But that's exactly why they are so good.
They do not impress on first listening with traits that get on your nerves two weeks later. Like B&W say...

A quick note on the differences between the ES22 and ES30. The ES22 was based on the ES14, and the ES30 was based on the ES12. This info is from the original brochures where it is clearly stated. If you look at the drivers it's not a far stretch to say the ES22 uses the same drivers as the ES14 (with an additional driver added). Similarly, the ES30 looks like the ES12 with a bass driver added. This would explain the totally different sound between the ES22 and ES30 to my mind.

Way back in the summer of 98 I got the train to Glasgow with my girlfriend to visit Loud and Clear. Specifically to listen to the Exposure Cdp v Naim 3.5 players. My amps at home were Exposure 19/ 18 pre powers. They used a 17/18 Super at the demo. And Epos es 22s.
Didn't buy a cd player that day.
Bought the 22s.
Player could wait .

Last edited:
A quick note on the differences between the ES22 and ES30. The ES22 was based on the ES14, and the ES30 was based on the ES12. This info is from the original brochures where it is clearly stated. If you look at the drivers it's not a far stretch to say the ES22 uses the same drivers as the ES14 (with an additional driver added). Similarly, the ES30 looks like the ES12 with a bass driver added. This would explain the totally different sound between the ES22 and ES30 to my mind.

I think you have this backwards. The es22 has the smaller 5 inch drivers from the es12. The es30 bass driver is 8” and is based on the main driver from the ES14.

I know, I’ve owned three of those four!

The notes I've taken are from PDFs of the brochures. With this you're going to have me getting the tape measure out!

Es22 and es30 have the exact same tweeter and midrange driver, only the es30 replaces the smaller bass driver with the one from the es14. They can write whatever nonsense they want in a brochure, doesn’t change that this is the fundamental makeup of the speakers.

the problem is the tuning on the 30 just wasn’t as good, over ported imho, and they lose the snap, verve and timing capabilities of the smaller 22. I immediately regretted upgrading to 30’s

the problem is the tuning on the 30 just wasn’t as good, over ported imho, and they lose the snap, verve and timing capabilities of the smaller 22. I immediately regretted upgrading to 30’s
I immediately regretted selling my 22s. A quite special speaker.

Be the 2000s surely. Es 22s came out around 96 ish. The 11s and 14s were around well before the 22s though.
Cant remember if Epos went bust ? I thought they were just bought over by Creek ?
You know I can't remember the true reason why these were going for a song but certainly at a time they were being sold off. This must have been 1999 as by 2000 I had moved.

When I was looking for Epos ES range speakers I did a little research to see what was made and when. Mostly driven by trying to find out which speakers in the ES range Robin Marshall designed and which were done after he'd left. Below is what I put together from reading articles and the related brochures. I would be interested in any corrections and extra info if anyone has it.

*As to which speaker is based on which I'm now not as confident, as although Epos passed on this info in brochures at the time, it's entirely possible they were not correct.

Epos & Related Companies

1983 Robin Marshall creates Epos.

1987 TGI PLC group (UK) buys Mordaunt-Short.

1988 Mordaunt-Short buys Epos.

1994 Audio Partnership Plc founded, closely related to but not owned by, Richer Sounds. All manufacturing done in China. Owns Cambridge Audio.

1999 Creek buys Epos.

1999 Mordaunt-Short bought by Audio Partnership Plc.

2020 Fink buys Epos, Karl-Heinz Fink founder of German speaker firm FinkTeam.

ES Speaker Range Release Dates

1984 ES 20

1986 ES 14

1990 ES 11

1996 ES 12

1996 ES 22 (based on ES14*)

1996 ES 25 (based on ES11*)

1999(?) ES 30 (based on ES12*)

When I was looking for Epos ES range speakers I did a little research to see what was made and when. Mostly driven by trying to find out which speakers in the ES range Robin Marshall designed and which were done after he'd left. Below is what I put together from reading articles and the related brochures. I would be interested in any corrections and extra info if anyone has it.

*As to which speaker is based on which I'm now not as confident, as although Epos passed on this info in brochures at the time, it's entirely possible they were not correct.

Epos & Related Companies

1983 Robin Marshall creates Epos.

1987 TGI PLC group (UK) buys Mordaunt-Short.

1988 Mordaunt-Short buys Epos.

1994 Audio Partnership Plc founded, closely related to but not owned by, Richer Sounds. All manufacturing done in China. Owns Cambridge Audio.

1999 Creek buys Epos.

1999 Mordaunt-Short bought by Audio Partnership Plc.

2020 Fink buys Epos, Karl-Heinz Fink founder of German speaker firm FinkTeam.

ES Speaker Range Release Dates

1984 ES 20

1986 ES 14

1990 ES 11

1996 ES 12

1996 ES 22 (based on ES14*)

1996 ES 25 (based on ES11*)

1999(?) ES 30 (based on ES12*)

They have 100% got the 22 and 30 the wrong way around. But what do I know :)

there’s nothing even remotely ES14 about the ES22

I've just checked my ES14 and the woofer is a lot different to anything on the ES22. =)

Do I edit it or put correct info in another comment? Keeps the conversation understandable that way. I said it was open to correction and didn't definitively say it was correct, so I don't think it is misleading?

advertisement

Back