advertisement

Electric toothbrush decision0-150

Oral B for me. Tried a Sonicare but it was too high a frequency buzz... literally put my teeth on edge (along with everything else!) so the mid range Oral B it is. I get gum bleed too - it’s being a bit hit-and-miss with my flossing regimen, but it soon goes and the leccy toothbrush definitely helps, but make sure you use it right... too many people brush their teeth with it as you would a regular brush.

I asked my hygeinist whether Sonicare was better than Oral-B, she said in that practice all the hygeinists recommend Oral-B, all the dentists prefer Sonicare.
So yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice..

My previous hygienist was exactly the same; she was a bit sniffy about Sonicare. I think that the Philips system is slightly better than the Oral B but the brush heads are very expensive and don't last long. I have both and occasionally use the old Phillips but mostly its the cheap and cheerful Oral B.

As I may lash out and try one of these gadgets (a cheap one to start, I suppose), are they mains or battery (AA or AAA) powered ? Not interested in Li-ion or whatever, as I don't travel. Maybe rechargeable AA/AAAs ?

As I may lash out and try one of these gadgets (a cheap one to start, I suppose), are they mains or battery (AA or AAA) powered ? Not interested in Li-ion or whatever, as I don't travel. Maybe rechargeable AA/AAAs ?
Most are recharged by being plugged into their special charging base. The Sonicare is a bit weird and recharges by sitting in a glass (supplied).
Mine also can be recharged from a USB power source, but only when it's in its travel case. All rather silly compared to the simplicity of Oral-B's.

I think the most important feature is that its got a timer which warns you every 30 secs. I use an Oral B, a cheapish one because I've never been convinced that the features of the more expensive ones are worth having for me.

The main problem I have with them is keeping them clean. Gunge collects at the joint between the head and the brush while they're recharging. I wonder if there's one that's designed to limit this problem -- maybe one that didn't charge upright so that the moisture in the head wouldn't eek its way down the brush.

my dentist and hygienist both recommend Oral B, which is why we moved to them from a Phillip's. The Phillip's was damaging my gums.

one of the things I've noticed with OralBs is that the vibration that signals the 30 second intervals whilst brushing gets weaker as the unit ages and eventually stops. They seem to last in this household about 5-6 years with two us using it.

yes all internal batteries. Never had a problem with charging or batteries. Just with the mechanicals wearing out after 5 to 6 years of use.

as for the vibration, we prefer a vibrating c*ck ring to something that resembles an anal probe

My dentist before the current one recommended the cheapest Oral B / Braun you could get. I get 5 years-ish before they won't hold charge. I never pay more than about £18 or £19 - half price offers are as common as an MFI sale.

well the nice man from Amazon delivered our new one just now. It feels better in the hand and the buzz feels stronger. For us the travel case is excellent, especially now you can charge it from USB.

Paired with my phone, the app is a novelty.

Good Oral B model currently £20 at Home Bargains (I paid £25 four years ago - gutted, should have waited).

They’ve stopped printing the speed on the boxes now. I always buy the cheapest model delivering the higher speed. I bought a 600 once and it’s rubbish.

advertisement

Back