advertisement

Electric toothbrush decision0-150

If you need a new brush every week, no wonder your gums are bleeding.

Think you're confusing me with another poster as don't have trouble with my gums. Reason my brushes wear so quickly (though I rotate about 10 of them) is because of the sharpness of some of my teeth. I can't see that rotating brush heads would react differently but I'd be pleased if they did have inherently better longevity.

Thanks for the replies, decided on a Sonicare mainly as my wife has an Oral B which is getting on a bit and she can compare before she needs to buy another. I am due a dentist checkup so will ask about the gums but to be honest they don't seem that interested now I am past 60. I am also less than please with the new charges which include more work but still cost the same if you need less. For example there is one cost for up to three fillings but no discount if you need one. Yet another Tory policy which will affect the health of the poor and less well off.

I've had a few Oral B's over the years. The 'Pulsonic' was the worst. It lasted a few years but wasn't brilliant and then suddenly died. ( investigation showed water leaking in and corrosion of the internals) Poorer cleaning action than the 'traditional' rotating/oscilating' type. It looks as if Oral B have finally settled on a single fitting for all of their brush heads.. which should help to avoid confusion.

Current model (can't recall No.) has wi-fi, but still sounds crap. Cleans teeth well though.

Oral B often on 'half price' offer in Boots.

I'm pretty rough on brush heads, but get a couple of months out of each.

I have used both and they are like two different religions. They both work but they do it in different ways. The Sonic approach seems to be less abrasive but their brush heads are expensive. The Oral B seems more aggressive but are cheaper to run. Whichever you go for, I would get an Airfloss - blasts a jet of water between your teeth and clears the debris out. My Dentist recommended Airfloss first then brush and don't rinse - this leaves the toothpaste and all its active ingredients in your mouth longer.
^ this

Tried OralB for a few stretches over the years ( my wife runs one, on her third in approx. 20 years. Changes the brushes more often though! ) but don't get on with them.
It impresses at first but after a week or so I start to feel my teeth are less clean so I revert to manual brushing. I don't have the straightest gnashers though, might be a factor in my experience with electric brushing.

I've used both - I thought that the Sonicare was slightly better at cleaning, but I had 3 and none lasted more than 1 year (2 replacements under warranty). I've used an Oral B brush for the last 4 years with no issues.

I've had Oral B for a while, then decided to get a spare brush for our holiday home so looked at the “Which?” Reviews. They reckoned the £18 Asda version was just as good, and by golly, they're right! Brushing feels pretty well the same, maybe the Asda one's maybe a bit more vigorous. Doesn't pause after every half-minute or so like the Oral B, but I ignore that anyway. Lasting well so far.

Big discounts on electric toothbrushes at Boots. Philips and Oral B. I got a fancy Oral B one half price yesterday

After using Oral B for many years, I switched to Sonicare 3 or 4 years back. Much better IMO. But yes, brushes are bloody expensive!

Just replaced our old Oral B with a new Oral B, Mrs BB picked it up for a very reasonable price (she did tell me, it was an impressive saving but i can't remember the figures) . I have worn away a lot of my gum with previous over zealous manual brushing, so use a softer brush on the lower speed.

Cheers BB

My first Oral B one lasted something like ten years. I got another Oral B one to replace it for £15 (down from £50) when on sale in Asda. The replacement brush heads aren't cheap if you go for the Braun/Oral B branded ones, but Sainsbury's sells a compatible one much much cheaper (£10 for a pack of four IIRC)

Think you're confusing me with another poster as don't have trouble with my gums. Reason my brushes wear so quickly (though I rotate about 10 of them) is because of the sharpness of some of my teeth. I can't see that rotating brush heads would react differently but I'd be pleased if they did have inherently better longevity.
Apologies for the confusion, though you must have some wickedly sharp edges in there to chew up brushes within a week!

just got back from work and my Mrs tells me our 6 year old OralB is making a loud noise - time for a new one..

My latest Oral B has a li-ion battery offering up to 15 days use from a charge. I don't think you need to go for a top of range. Who needs a WiFi connected toothbrush. Just look out offers on Oral B, they come round regularly.

Do I go for a Philips Sonicare or Oral B? I only have half my teeth left and do suffer from gum bleed which I think is mainly down to over enthusiatic brushing. happy to pay £100 -150 if necessary. I don’t need bluetooth or app stuff.

I have been there.
Curaprox ultra soft 5460 manual brush
Corsodyl toothpaste , is what I use.
But I did have a rebuild from the Implant Centre in Hove, lots of money well spent.

I asked my hygeinist whether Sonicare was better than Oral-B, she said in that practice all the hygeinists recommend Oral-B, all the dentists prefer Sonicare.
So yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice..

advertisement

Back