advertisement

Electric Boiler

gez

pfm Member
I saw an advert for Electric Boilers today, which I didn't even realise were a thing. I was intrigued enough to do a bit of research in to them as a possible alternative to my Gas Boiler.

However, I'm a little confused still. I see that there are various types: combi, simple heating unit with a water storage tank, plus a couple of other types.

However as far as I can see they all talk about needing a direct cold water feed to work. Currently my system is a gravity (open vented?) fed water supply from a couple of tanks in the loft. One tank supplies a conventional (not combi) boiler which then directly supplies the closed circuit radiator system, plus through the use of zone valves a water tank (think of a kettle where the electrical element is replaced by hot water filled pipes supplied by the boiler), which then supplies the hot water to the bathroom and kitchen.

Logically, I can't see why my conventional boiler can't be replaced by a boiler that uses an electric heating element rather than a gas system. Does anybody know if such electric boilers exist? As far as I can see the "flow" electric boilers seem to have built in water tanks? All I'd need is literally a water heating box, which would then feed the existing radiator and water tank. Do such things exist?

As far as I can understand my current system looks like this:

gravityfed400%20withtext%20copy.jpg

Unless you are not on mains gas, using electricity for household water heating is more expensive than horrendously expensive compared to using gas.

You can ignore everything else.

That said, what the "box in the corner", (or on the wall) uses as fuel is very largely irrelevant -they all contain a heater and a heat-exchange system of some kind, to transfer heat to water. The minor consieration overall is that electricity is essentially 100% efficient - no flue gases as nothing is burnt.

Usually people go on an economy seven tariff if that's still a thing, think it's about the same price as gas but it's only available during the night or more accurately between 23hours and 07am.

OP you can use and electric boiler to heat your system, the 'boiler' is just a big heater usually up to 12kw but there are a number of technical issues ie you need a larger fuse at the mains and a separate meter for the 'boiler' plus a larger cable.

Personally I never recommend electric boilers there are loads of issues with them mainly down to cost and running costs plus maintenance is expensive you also need to factor in replacing the boiler much more frequently than a gas boiler in short they're crap.

ASHPs are kind of electric boilers but also crap and extremely expensive to install plus there's the bullshit stuff about them saving the planet/cheap to run however they are good in the right property ie brand new designed for renewables with fantastic insulation properties.

Gas boilers are going nowhere.

Storing hot water produced by an electric boiler would be expensive and not worthwhile IMO - a 10-20KW instant HW Heater from the likes of Screwfix is all thats needed at each point HW is needed?
Using an electric boiler for heating, that is not going to be cheap in this country with the cost of electricity?
Now - if you used that same electricity with a Heat Pump of some sort - ah, yes, we have been here a few times.

Storing hot water produced by an electric boiler would be expensive and not worthwhile IMO - a 10-20KW instant HW Heater from the likes of Screwfix is all thats needed at each point HW is needed?
Using an electric boiler for heating, that is not going to be cheap in this country with the cost of electricity?
Now - if you used that same electricity with a Heat Pump of some sort - ah, yes, we have been here a few times.

The Ariston unvented water heaters, are shite and they're not easy to install in a traditionally installed plumbing system plus those don't or can't replace a central heating boiler re the OP's diagram above they're only suitable for single tap situations or maybe two taps not any use for a shower etc or a bath.

Economy seven is the same price as gas per therm or used to be.

Unless you are not on mains gas, using electricity for household water heating is more expensive than horrendously expensive compared to using gas.

You can ignore everything else.

That said, what the "box in the corner", (or on the wall) uses as fuel is very largely irrelevant -they all contain a heater and a heat-exchange system of some kind, to transfer heat to water. The minor consieration overall is that electricity is essentially 100% efficient - no flue gases as nothing is burnt.

Not really true re efficiency electricity generating power stations, usually gas, are only about 36% efficient so there's no way that electricity in someone's house is 100% efficient.

Usually people go on an economy seven tariff if that's still a thing, think it's about the same price as gas but it's only available during the night or more accurately between 23hours and 07am.

Not so - the quiet hours are split into multiple periods - I was even on a split E7 period at one time, 6 hours, then a one hour gap, then another hour.
E7 was really aimed at storage heaters as much as anything.

Not really true re efficiency electricity generating power stations

So far as the householder is concerned it is 100% true. You pay for X kWhr of electricity and your water gets X kWhr of heat in it. You pay for X kWhr of gas and your water gets 90+++% of X kWhr of heat in it.

Not so - the quiet hours are split into multiple periods - I was even on a split E7 period at one time, 6 hours, then a one hour gap, then another hour.
E7 was really aimed at storage heaters as much as anything.

Well no E7 is used for heating hot water there's two immersion heaters on the cylinder one for E7 and one for a 'boost' during the day if the cylinder's depleted. obviously E7 can be and is used for night storage heaters which hardly anyone uses these days.

Rest of the efficiency nonsense snipped, no matter how you or other people come away with this pish electricity is not and never can bee 100% efficient, gas condensing boilers BTW are about 97% efficient in you use suitable controls and some boiler manufacturer's even claim 104% efficiency for their boilers but that's bullshit marketing crap.

Generally you see electric boilers like the ones made by the Baxi group (Amptec, Heatrae Sadia, Santon, Potterton Gold etc) in small flats where there's no gas. Then cylinder for hot water (usually unvented). You often see them piped up like a normal central heating system with motorised zone valves but this is pointless. I'd always keep the boiler just for the heating and have the cylinder totally separate being heated by its own immersion heater. These are on sealed systems with expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and filling loop installed.
They do work okay, I fitted a 6kw one last week but they're hideously expensive to run and won't give the power a good old 18kw etc gas boiler will give you.

If you've got gas use it......

OP you can use and electric boiler to heat your system, the 'boiler' is just a big heater usually up to 12kw but there are a number of technical issues ie you need a larger fuse at the mains and a separate meter for the 'boiler' plus a larger cable.

Personally I never recommend electric boilers there are loads of issues with them mainly down to cost and running costs plus maintenance is expensive you also need to factor in replacing the boiler much more frequently than a gas boiler in short they're crap.

ASHPs are kind of electric boilers but also crap and extremely expensive to install plus there's the bullshit stuff about them saving the planet/cheap to run however they are good in the right property ie brand new designed for renewables with fantastic insulation properties.

Gas boilers are going nowhere.

Careful, you trigger Tiggers with talk like that🤣

Rest of the efficiency nonsense snipped, no matter how you or other people come away with this pish electricity is not and never can bee 100% efficient, gas condensing boilers BTW are about 97% efficient in you use suitable controls and some boiler manufacturer's even claim 104% efficiency for their boilers but that's bullshit marketing crap.

I am sorry - you are wrong again.
Electricity is near 100% efficient for heating - what other energy does it appear as in a heating system? Some magnetic field, and??????
Electricity generation, is not. Very, very, very different. Very few energy transformations are, although electrical heating gets as close as makes no difference.

I am more than fully aware of gas boiler efficiences - hence my 90+++%

I do wish people who know absolutely nothing about how this technology is progressing would stop spouting this ill informed crap, it's wearing frankly!

We're just in the process of buying a flat which has something like this - it's got a pressurised hot water cylinder + what I presume is an immersion heater. It's heating is traditional hot water radiators, I guess fed from the cylinder vs a thermostatic mixer or something like that.

Anyhow, the building didn't have gas until I think recently, but does now, so we will have the options of leaving alone, replacing with a gas combi boiler, but of more interest is there is a balcony, so in theory it could also have a heat pump installed (depending on whether the lease allows for this).

So assuming it all goes through i'll be exploring this sort of area in the summer, deciding what to do with it.

Right smart arse what I have said that’s wrong?
Pretty much everything.
ASHPs are kind of electric boilers
No, they're not, they're more like a reverse fridge where electricity is used to power the pump cycle, but does not actually heat the water directly... ergo they are not an 'electric boiler'.
but also crap
What a stupid statement? In what way are they 'crap'? They are efficient (between 3kW and 4kW generated from each kW of electricity depending on generation of pump), they are pretty simple (like a fridge), and installed correctly are more or less a fit and forget solution other than an occasional service to ensure everything is working properly... much like a gas boiler. Modern variants can exhibit heat outputs to match modern gas boilers and when installed with the optimal sized emitters e.g. radiators or under floor heating work as well or better than conventional systems. I agree that early generations of the technology left a bit to be desired as they were not as efficient or as high an output as modern variants, but this is the way it is for emerging technologies... look at the early gas combis to see a comparison... they were very poor by modern standards. As the technology matures things change, twas ever thus.
and extremely expensive to install
Sadly the industry has been in that horrible early phase where installers were few and far between, the technology still was not widely understood and the whole installer accreditation scheme was seen by some as a licence to print money or (as stated as the technology was not fully understood) installers covered their backs by charging more. Thankfully we're coming out of that now and install prices are dropping as the technology matures. There is also far more understanding of where ASHPs are going to work and where they're not. A lot of modern radiator based systems are undersized anyway and gas/oil systems are run at very high output levels (where they are less efficient) to compensate. Even so modern ASHPs have higher outputs now and in a lot of cases can just replace an existing boiler albeit they do need a tank system. Even so pretty much any normal reasonable well insulated house all things being equal will work perfectly well with an ASHP, the notion that everything needs to be insulated to the nth degree is not true albeit the less insulation there is the more running any heating source will cost... obviously. That said the British mentality of minimal insulation and cranking up the heating is a massive problem here as it is grossly inefficient (and consequently environmentally damaging) and we need to have a mentality change to 'get with the program'. Even today UK building regulations are still hugely lacking in this area and enforcement of them is a joke. I still see modern houses being built with the minimum levels of insulation and it's a travesty. I am just in the process of renovating/building a property and have put 190mm of insulation in the timber frame walls and 240mm in the roof frame as these values are where the law of diminishing returns kick in. UK regs are significantly less than this. Then there is the enforcement. I have seen new builds with insulation gaps I can get my hand into... pointless and unsurprisingly not picked up by building control. Any heating source will be benefit from better insulation as will the planet... it should be a government priority, but....
plus there's the bullshit stuff about them saving the planet/cheap to run
They are relatively cheap to run (and would be more so if we had a decent energy price enforcement model in the UK). As said modern pumps will generate around 3.7KW for every kW consumed. They are way more efficient than gas combis. See this link for some detail:

New Study Shows Heat Pumps To Be Four Times More Efficient Than Most Gas Boilers

The sticking point is, of course, the price of electricity.... see how much cheaper it is in Norway for example. That's beyond the topic of this thread but having a government that allows energy prices to be set the way they are isn't helping in this regard.

ASHPs will help environmentally too as long as the electricity generating them comes from predominantly renewable sources. Homeowners can also use solar panels to supplement their electricity supply which has further environmental benefit. The last time I looked homeowners can't usually generate their own gas, not usable gas anyway ;)

This constant reference to 'saving the planet bullshit' is irksome too. No ASHP is going to 'save the planet, but they do have the potential to significantly contribute to helping combat the effects of climate change whereas gas boilers are doing the opposite. This is fact, not bullshit. Statistics released just this morning show how dire a position the planet is in

More climate records fall in world's warmest February

so unless everyone (that is governments, individuals, companies, organisations etc.) contributes the situation is only going one way. I get really fed up with the attitude of 'my small contribution won't make a difference' while Country A or Company B are still doing what they are doing. We all need to do our bit and to still see gas boilers being installed in UK new builds is really quite disheartening especially when they alternative is now so readily available.
however they are good in the right property ie brand new designed for renewables with fantastic insulation properties.
They are best in a well insulated modern property, but as said UK new builds in general are not that great in this regard anyway. They will work just fine in any normal property all things being equal and as long as they are sized and installed correctly. There are always going to be exceptions where they are not suitable, but these are very much in the minority and anyway there are plenty of places where gas combis won't work... i.e. places with no gas. This notion they only work in buildings with Pasisvhaus levels of insulation is very much out of date, not that that should dissuade anyone from wanting to improve the insulation in their property, as that is the best answer to the environmental conundrum.

Finally, condescendingly calling me a smart arse is fine and hopefully makes you feel better, but this is an industry in which I work on the R&D side quite a lot so I do actually know quite a lot about it.

So the one paragraph that I wrote is totally correct? Thanks.

No one in their right mind unless they live in a purpose built house should even consider an ASHP.

When the temperature drops when the soft English punter wants to cut about in their shorts in sub zero temperatures outside the pump runs like a madman ergo costs a fortune to run it or it can't cope with the cold temperatures and shuts itself down until the thing thaws out.

Plus it's effin ugly who wants a giant fridge stuck under their bedroom window?

Honest to God.

Gez,

I have a system almost identical to yours, with new boiler and cylinder changed 18 months ago. Due to failures of the old and new boiler in recent years, hot water was via immersion heater for one or two week periods. Believe me, the difference in cost of this energy usage versus gas was very significant AND I was on a low 24 month fixed Octopus tariff started prior to the hikes. My consistent month by month readings and statements facilitate accurate analyses.

I'd imagine having, say, a 12kW directly heated shower versus one where hot water is derived from the cylinder (as is mine) would also be vastly more expensive, as, of course, the enormous discrepancy in kW hour costs between electricity and gas would suggest regardless.

The above is from a a plumbing and technical numpty with eagle eyes on domestic costs.

So in the one paragraph what I wrote is totally correct? Thanks.

No one in their right mind unless they live in a purpose built house should even consider an ASHP.

When the temperature drops when the soft English punter wants to cut about in their shorts in sub zero temperatures outside the pump runs like a madman ergo costs a fortune to run it or it can't cope with the cold temperatures and shuts itself down until the thing thaws out.

Plus it's effin ugly who wants a giant fridge stuck under their bedroom window?

Honest to God.

Nothing you have written is correct. You are a typical armchair exert who is sucked in by nonsense you read on the Internet. I have written a perfectly lucid explanation of why you are wrong from a position of actual factual knowledge and yet you are just repeating the same old crap as if it is gospel and taking no notice of what I have said. Is it that hard to say 'sorry, I was wrong' as just repeating baseless conjecture over and over will not suddenly make it true.

advertisement

Back