advertisement

EHRC report into Labour

It is a disaster. It basically takes racism right off the table and allows the Tories to continue to adopt Trump, UKIP, BNP and EDL policy wholesale. Vile xenophobic/racist Daily Mail and Express front-pages now get a free pass forever as we have no credible opposition party. Buy five issues and get a free Clandestine Channel Commander hat or Windrush Deportation commemorative plate...

When will there be a report into the Conservative's institutional racism and anti-Muslim policies? I know this report is not good but the Tories are far worse.

That is just your misinterpretation. The point was that people are frothing at the mouths to paint Labour as an anti-Semitic party, yet their leader has a zero-tolerance approach and is married to a Jewish lady. It just doesn't stack up.

People should have stamped this out right at the time, resignations should have happened, but instead this has all been allowed to become what it has become.
That's not the way the posts read

That is just your misinterpretation. The point was that people are frothing at the mouths to paint Labour as an anti-Semitic party, yet their leader has a zero-tolerance approach and is married to a Jewish lady. It just doesn't stack up.

Here is what Romulus wrote:

'Keir Starmer has suspended Jermyn Corbyn from the Labour Party as I understand for his anti Jewish stance. This is no surprise at all for me because if any one including the press bothered researching Keir Starmer background they would learn he is married to a Jewish lady and has adopted the Jewish faith for his children. If anything maybe he was well primed by his Rabbi's. This fact omitted from present news reporting is astounding...'

My interpretation of those words seems to be correct. (The criticism of the Labour leadership's response to allegations of anti-Semitism pre-dates Starmer's election as Leader, so the religion of Starmer's wife is irrelevant).

I really can’t be arsed reading all that, but I made it through the introduction and it is not good reading at all. I’m struggling to see any route the party can regain any credibility as it will just be battered with that report no matter what it does. An easy-access albatross of monumental proportion with which the political right can now sink any argument from Labour regarding civil liberties or human rights reform. An instant knock-out blow.

I’ve made little secret that I’d prefer to shoot the party in the head and see a new far younger and more vibrant progressive party emerge from the Greens, LDs etc, and this just underlines this viewpoint. Labour has been on the wrong side of way, way too many arguments well for over a generation now. Please just bin it and move on. We deserve better than this.

PS I saw some if Starmer’s speech a few minutes ago. There are no words to put it right, it is just an epic fail/clusterf*** of leadership enshrined forever in 129 pages of legal text.

The present parties are deeply conservative and have minimal grasp of the issues facing humanity; if the right were true capitalists they'd be all over green policies to preserve the economy and protect it from the downsides of global warming.

The left bang on about the same stuff they've been on for 50 years.

Even the Greens seem afraid to mention their USP and push for ZPG and zero CO2.

A new broom making way for some government with science and engineering expertise to lead the world to a climate change fix is required.

We started the industrial revolution, maybe we should set an example to show there can be a clean way forward.

Its simple, kick out anyone who broke the law, kick out anyone who broke the Labour partys own rules on antisemitism and have a long chat with anyone else who is deemed not to have broken the rules but teetered on the edge.

There has to be a labour party statement on the gap between antisemitism and justified criticism of the actions of the state of Israel, so that fair criticism remains possible and clearly stands outside of the antisemitism definition.

Mr Corbyn said the scale of the problem had been "dramatically overstated".

Well that's all cleared up then.
Worth pointing out that he didn't say the report overstated the problem: the worst he's said about the report is "While I do not accept all of its findings, I trust its recommendations will be swiftly implemented to help move on from this period."

Given that the Labour Party was widely described as a threat to Jewish safety, as institutionally antisemitic and so on, it's simply undeniable that the problem was overstated. I haven't read the report yet but by all accounts it doesn't support any of the wilder claims, so it's not unreasonable that Corbyn would feel at least somewhat vindicated, especially given what he personally was accused of.

What's odd, if also predictable, is that the report is being reported as if it did confirm the wilder allegations. What it does confirm is bad enough, you'd have thought, but apparently not bad enough for many. Corbyn's suspension serves a useful purpose then, in that it's what you'd expect to happen if the report had confirmed everything that's been said over the last few years.

Anyway you have to ask yourself if it's good that in order to avoid being suspended from the party, members are expected to state publicly that something everybody knows happened - real problems within the party were exploited for factional purposes - definitely did not happen. While it's happening to the former leader. I mean, is that a good place to start, if you're trying to fight antisemitism?

Its simple, kick out anyone who broke the law, kick out anyone who broke the Labour partys own rules on antisemitism and have a long chat with anyone else who is deemed not to have broken the rules but teetered on the edge.

There has to be a labour party statement on the gap between antisemitism and justified criticism of the actions of the state of Israel, so that fair criticism remains possible and clearly stands outside of the antisemitism definition.
This is spot on. Excellent post.

Just to add, nobody has made any anti-semitic comment in this thread, that some people appear to think there has been only goes to show it is likely impossible for Labour to sort.

Just to add, nobody has made any anti-semitic comment in this thread, that some people appear to think there has been only goes to show it is likely impossible for Labour to sort.
Definitely at least one very obviously antisemitic post that I can see, and the fact that not everyone can see it shows how difficult it is to sort anywhere, and that education is probably better than macho one-strike-and-you're-out policies. Ship's sailed on that one though I'd have thought.

One first reading the report seems to be an investigation into the Labour Party, not Jeremy Corbyn and as such it has found the Labour Party guilty in a couple of instances, not Jeremy Corbyn.

People will no doubt jump on the anti Corbyn bandwagon without looking at what's driving it, but to do so is to believe that anti-semitism arrived and then left with one man within a short and frantic timeframe, which is unsustainable.

Not going to get sucked in to this thread but this is worth sharing:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1321798255685062658

Basically, any MP to the left of (e.g.) Gordon Brown is now fair game: even relatively bland figures like Rayner and Gardiner.

There's no home for the Left in Labour - that should be abundantly clear today. Even rightwing Stephen Kinnock got a dressing down for daring to address Palestine, in a Parliamentary speech, of all things.

https://labourlist.org/2020/09/act-...aeli-settlements-kinnock-urges-uk-government/

Definitely at least one very obviously antisemitic post that I can see, and the fact that not everyone can see it shows how difficult it is to sort anywhere, and that education is probably better than macho one-strike-and-you're-out policies. Ship's sailed on that one though I'd have thought.
Well I don't usually find myself in agreement with you but I do today.

One first reading the report seems to be an investigation into the Labour Party, not Jeremy Corbyn and as such it has found the Labour Party guilty in a couple of instances, not Jeremy Corbyn.

People will no doubt jump on the anti Corbyn bandwagon without looking at what's driving it, but to do so is to believe that anti-semitism arrived and then left with one man within a short and frantic timeframe, which is unsustainable.

The report specifically called out a failure of leadership, directly naming JC.

The report specifically called out a failure of leadership, directly naming JC.
Well it would, wouldn’t it.

50544735742_a19e090c18_c.jpg

advertisement

Back