advertisement

Edge of Darkness Monday 8PM BBC4

Top 10 TV series IMHO. An astonishing piece of work, that, for me, is more about someone looking for meaning in loss, than the overt journey he's on. I'm envious of all those who haven't yet seen it.

I don't recall SABC or either of the two local independent stations ever showing that original BBC series... :(

I did see the Hollywood movie version with Mel Gibson and was somewhat underwhelmed...

I have feelers out as local mail-order eTailer has no new copies - only some dodgy options for used copies from overseas. :(

Will have to wait and see...

BTW, in a strangely similar vein, there was an intriguing US TV series broadcast in 1995 starring Gary Cole as the delightfully evil and satanic sheriff, Lucas Buck.

The series was entitled "American Gothic" and, despite an excellent performance - as usual - from Gary Cole (remember "Midnight Caller"?), the real starring role belonged to 13 year old Lucas Black as "Caleb Temple".

My elder daughter was always fascinated by this series and recently ordered a copy from Amazon. It has aged a wee bit but is still eminently watchable.

One of the daughter's friends collects "classic TV series" on DVD and has a number of seasons of the original Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone". Despite their age (1959-1964), these old black & white 4:3 shows are still right up there with the best in thought-provoking cinema. Many of the scripts were penned by some of the greats in fantasy, horror and SF. I was extremely grateful for the loan of seasons 1 and 2...

I have the theme on a BBC lp, "Telly Hits", BBSR 508, from 1985. It also has themes from Tripods, The Trojan Theme, and Dallas, 16 tracks in all.
Must have another listen.

BTW, in a strangely similar vein, there was an intriguing US TV series broadcast in 1995 starring Gary Cole as the delightfully evil and satanic sheriff, Lucas Buck.

The series was entitled "American Gothic" and, despite an excellent performance - as usual - from Gary Cole (remember "Midnight Caller"?), the real starring role belonged to 13 year old Lucas Black as "Caleb Temple".

My elder daughter was always fascinated by this series and recently ordered a copy from Amazon. It has aged a wee bit but is still eminently watchable.

One of the daughter's friends collects "classic TV series" on DVD and has a number of seasons of the original Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone". Despite their age (1959-1964), these old black & white 4:3 shows are still right up there with the best in thought-provoking cinema. Many of the scripts were penned by some of the greats in fantasy, horror and SF. I was extremely grateful for the loan of seasons 1 and 2...

The Twilight Zone is still fun to watch, also in the same vein is The Outer Limits (1963). The BBC Day of the Triffids was pretty good too as I recall.

I'm working my way through Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Columbo series 2 & 4.

mat

advertisement

Back