advertisement

Edge of Darkness Monday 8PM BBC4

bor

queue jumper
Just read that this series will be repeated on BBC4 starting this evening.

For anyone who doesn't know,it is a drama based around dour nertherner Bob Peck, investigating his daughter's murder and its links with the nuclear industry.

Superb performance from Peck as he comes to terms with his daughter's death.

Jo Don Baker steals every scene as an amoral CIA agent.

We watched this on DVD about a year ago and can highly recomend it. Yes it looks dated now compared to when it was originally screened, but still very gripping piece of work.

The feature film with the same title and story theme was on the box a few weeks ago, difference was the setting in a New England state (perhaps)

A memorable part of the TV series was the title music (if my memory is correct)

Thanks for highlighting the broadcast

I watched Edge of Darkness when it was originally broadcast, I remember it being very good and well reviewed, it struck a chord me being pro CND at the time and attending a few protests and related events in London.

I wonder how it will stand up today.

Cheers for the heads up.

A bit like A Very British Coup, thought provoking at the time but might be a bit tame nowadays.

A bit like A Very British Coup, thought provoking at the time but might be a bit tame nowadays.

It's not tame at all; we have it on DVD and watched it earlier this year. It still packs a punch, and the interplay been the dour Bob Peck and the scenery-chewing Joe Don Baker is mesmerising.

This was first shown before man made global warming was widely known about and it was heavily influenced by Lovelock's Gaia Theory. The end seems very prescient now with the last scene showing the land sprouting masses of dark flowers everywhere, to warm up the ecosphere presumably and rid the planet of mankind.

Not dated and not tame. This is one of the best BBC dramas ever made. If you've not seen it...DO!
The remake is a bit 'meh'....as the youngsters say today.

I watched the DVD not long ago and was very impressed - a cut above most series on TV nowadays with bland acting.

mat

Glad I have Sky + on my mobile....set it to record the series.

Incidentally watched the pilot of Waking The Dead yesterday from a box set acquired in a charity shop. Did'nt like it. Spoilt by the Norwegian/Danish offerings. Better scenery too. Trevor Eve doing a tough cop....no way.

I'll overlook the Clapton connection, just to confirm, this starts as mentioned above at 10pm, not 8pm.

Sky box set, I will probably record it all and watch in a couple of hits.

advertisement

Back