advertisement

Easy Listening - The Pleasures of Middle of the Road

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
A potential counter angle to ‘Guilty Pleasures’

I have been a fan of Easy Listening with no hint of guilt or shame since as far back as I can remember.
Herb Albert, The Carpenters sit next to Velvet Underground or Public Enemy in my collection.

The BBC programme listed below looking into the history of Easy Listening is nicely balanced, with tongue firmly in cheek.
As a bonus, there is some fine early Hi-Fi equipment lurking in the programme.

Put on that Smoking Jacket, don your Fez, pour a bowl of brandy - spark up the Montecristo and relax.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011g614

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_listening

Are you a fan of the road most travelled?

James Last a blast?

Bert Kaempfert or Fart?

Definitely for the faint-hearted, it can’t all be the fast lane…

:cool:

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Dean Martin, Bobby Darin, Connie Francis, The Seekers and The Carpenters and probably more that have slipped my mind.

My childhood was filled with music as we didn't have a TV until 1969. New records were regularly bought and it was only really when I started watching TOTP in 1972ish that my tastes developed. Some great memories!

Andy

The Carpenters were wonderful - I saw them twice back in the 'seventies when they spent a week at the London Palladium. Karen had such a voice.

Mick

PS I genuinely thought this thread was going to be about the band:-

Impressive.

I would have loved to hear her voice in concert. One of the best.

I’d class this as stuff my parents would have liked. Some of it was truly awful but I’m a sucker for comedy songs and big band swing. The former are often so clever and the latter is cheer you up goodness in spades!

a better explanation of the BBC prog. that is worth a nod.

“In-depth documentary investigation into the story of a popular music genre that is often said to be made to be heard but not listened to. The film looks at easy listening's architects and practitioners, its dangers and delights, and the mark it has left on modern life.

From its emergence in the 50s to its heyday in the 60s, through its survival in the 70s and 80s and its revival in the 90s and beyond, the film traces the hidden history of a music that has reflected society every bit as much as pop and rock - just in a more relaxed way.

Invented at the dawn of rock 'n' roll, easy listening has shadowed pop music and the emerging teenage market since the mid-50s. It is a genre that equally soundtracks our modern age, but perhaps for a rather more 'mature' generation and therefore with its own distinct purpose and aesthetic.

Contributors include Richard Carpenter, Herb Alpert, Richard Clayderman, Engelbert Humperdinck, Jimmy Webb, Mike Flowers, James Last and others.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011g614

for Hi-Fi equipment fans, the programme has some gorgeous early stuff.

My name is Andy and l like some Middle of the road/gentle/ pipe and slippers music, which include;

The Carpenters

Dean Martin

Bobby Darin

Roger Whittaker

And too many others to mention......:D

...............and also ACDC, Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, so not just pipe and slippers!

In fact no pipe at all, ever. But not Roger Whittaker!:)

Andy

My parents never listened to James Last or any of that kind of thing, so it mostly passed me by; I only heard it in passing on those TV shows where they had dancers prancing about like tits to some orchestrated version of a popular hit.

In general, I have mixed feelings about the MoR genre (assuming one accepts the BBC's definition). For example, I absolutely adore much of Jimmy Webb's music, especially Witchita Lineman, but can't stand Up, Up And Away. Same with The Carpenters; Goodbye To Love, yes, Calling Occupants ... no, no no!

The thing with those tunes, though, is that they are extreme examples of earworms. Hear them once, and they'll be going round your head all day. A quick blast of Metal Machine Music is usually required to drive them away.

No, but Paul Bloody Morley is obviously a contractual obligation for any documentary about popular music.

That was the downer of the Joy of Easy Listening programme. :(

Paul Morley has been irritating for decades, like Peter York, but more so. Morley turned up in a Joy Division documentary I was watching the other day - put a damper on my viewing.

A much underrated guitarist by all accounts but slightly too country for me. but I can see why some do like him.

Andy

from memory (which is a roll of the dice nowadays) I think Campbell did session work with the likes of Elvis till he did his own thang.
Could be twaddle though knowing me.

from memory (which is a roll of the dice nowadays) I think Campbell did session work with the likes of Elvis till he did his own thang.
Could be twaddle though knowing me.
No you're not wrong.
He was what they called at the time a studio musician and did back some well known singers including Elvis, The Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, The Everly Brothers and even The Monkees and loads of others.
He also played the bass guitar, mandolin and the banjo.
He toured with The Beach Boys taking over from Brian Wilson singing backing vocals and playing bass for four months.
He became friends with Elvis during the recording of Viva Las Vagas.
All in all quite a talented guy.
Although he's not really my cup of tea I do like his version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix.

Andy

advertisement

Back