advertisement

Easy Listening - The Pleasures of Middle of the Road

No you're not wrong.
He was what they called at the time a studio musician and did back some well known singers including Elvis, The Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, The Everly Brothers and even The Monkees and loads of others.
He also played the bass guitar, mandolin and the banjo.
He toured with The Beach Boys taking over from Brian Wilson singing backing vocals and playing bass for four months.
He became friends with Elvis during the recording of Viva Las Vagas.
All in all quite a talented guy.
Although he's not really my cup of tea I do like his version of By the Time I Get to Phoenix.

Andy

yer,
I have listened to quite a few of his albums as they get donated frequently for Headway charity, I appreciate the talent, but there are only a couple of tunes that grab me.

yer,
I have listened to quite a few of his albums as they get donated frequently for Headway charity, I appreciate the talent, but there are only a couple of tunes that grab me.
Absolutely, Just because something isn't to your own particular taste doesn't mean it's bad, just that your own preferences lie elsewhere.
I prefer Dean Martin to Sinatra, but would never say that Frank wasn't a good singer.

Andy

Absolutely, Just because something isn't to your own particular taste doesn't mean it's bad, just that your own preferences lie elsewhere.
I prefer Dean Martin to Sinatra, but would never say that Frank wasn't a good singer.

Andy

Deano doesn’t get past Frank here - but then Sammy comes along - a better grade of patter.

I have them as Vocal/Jazz - Big Band, not the Middle of the Road box.

Be different definitions each fishie you ask.

To me I think it means, “No Jeopardy “ You will not be awakened for battle with these tunes.
Safe stuff that is unable to offend, and is memorable for reasons of a hummable melody.

Wouldn’t offend custard .
Whistle the hook the next day.

from memory (which is a roll of the dice nowadays) I think Campbell did session work with the likes of Elvis till he did his own thang.
Could be twaddle though knowing me.
He was part of the wrecking crew, an absolutely stellar guitarist. Played on ‘Strangers in the night’. Could also sing a bit;)

Wot? No 'classical' music?
A lot of that is noodling too.

Andre Rieu might qualify?

Personally, I think some classical is too taxing for the masses that Middle of the Road aims for.
Orchestral versions of Beatles standards? Definitely.

Hammond organ Beatles hits…
now we are talking.

Does anyone remember the series of albums by The London Symphony Orchestra called Classic Rock where classic rock tunes were reinterpreted. Paint it Black, Bohemian Rhapsody, Life on Mars , Nights in White Satin and the like. Probably not classed as MOR, but maybe easy listening? Something a bit different anyway!

One singer I should have mentioned previously is Jim Reeves, surely one of the finest voices around.

Andy

Does anyone remember the series of albums by The London Symphony Orchestra called Classic Rock where classic rock tunes were reinterpreted. Paint it Black, Bohemian Rhapsody, Life on Mars , Nights in White Satin and the like.

Sold 2 copies at least this year. One copy of that album sold recently for £1, it was a bit noisy but worth a quid. On K-Tel or something like that.
Quite an enjoyable album.
Gets donated frequently.

This is what I call my Sunday morning music... love a bit of Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Ella Fitzgerald etc
They're great when it comes to festive music too.
Mac

More specifically, Glen Campbell + the genius of Jimmy Webb.

An awesome combination...

I enjoy all versions of MacArthur Park, and have the Harris and Summer versions on 45.

The Wife on the other hand, doesn’t get it.
Too busy trying to intellectualise something that doesn’t need it.

We watched the doc this evening (fairly sure we saw it many years ago) and thoroughly enjoyed it (again!).

Mick

Yes, I thought I had seen it ages ago, but didn’t see a release date.
Mike Flowers Pop seemed strangely familiar.
And, Yes! worth it again.

I cannot name the fancy old HiFi though, could you?

Enjoyed the Easy Listening At The BBC programme (Jose Feliciano doing Sunny!) more than the doc which we turned off half way through as it was too US based really…Stu Phillips? No clue!

advertisement

Back