advertisement

Dynavector P-75 Mark III

James the 2 box Quasar I think is around £700, shame, one just went s/h for £299 which was a snip.

I'd be looking beyond though, you have one of the best carts around.

I did consider the Delos for half the price, but I couldn't get past the garish gold tonings.

I tried the Rega Ios last night.

Suffice it to say that not all competently designed kit sounds the same. The Ios not only sounds bloody amazing but it also poops all over digital.

(By the way, is the Ios one of the best-kept secrets in audio? That stage is seriously good.)

Joe

Rega Ios - £1500
New Rega Ios in "reference series" case (to match amp and CD player) - £4000

It makes the original Ios, if you can find one, seem quite a bargain.

Damian

Damian,

I have my dealer's ex-dem Ios at home for an extended audition this weekend.

I have two observations:

1. Good analogue is amazing.

2. Not all competently designed amps sound the same. Sorry, objectivists, but that's the truth.

Joe

P.S. I still think the DV P-75 is the phono stage to beat at the price.

Damian,

I also have a P-75 Mark II with an XX-2 and it's downright sublime at times. But all the same I'm curious about the Mark III... and the Rega Ios, as a cheap one has turned up secondhand (ex-dem, actually).

I'd be interested in trying a SuperLine with SuperCap, but it's so far out of my price range it would be like my demoing a Ferrari or something.

Joe
I have finished my demo of this (http://www.pureaudio.co.nz/?page_id=37) with my XX2 and can confirm the XX2 is capable of way more than the P-75Mk1 can deliver and I would be surprised if not more than the Mk2 also. Having heard how much the p-75 was holding back the XX2 there is no way I would buy a TKR without first upgrading the phono amp.

Essentially, the Pure Audio made the P75 sound like it was making a hash of the treble. The bass was a bit tighter and more textured as well but the difference here was minimal compared to the top end.

Apart from the cost, the downside is that this machine is very large - think a shoebox, but longer.

Now to decide whether I can/want to afford one.

Steve

Pray tell - what is planned ?

This: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126825
And it's available now!
I will be very interested to hear of the first comparisons against the Dynavector!

Bring it on!

I'm not saying I'm expecting my cheapo option to wipe the floor with it... just that I doubt there will be much to choose between them... and either could be declared a winner by an n'th degree depending on who's opinion/ears one relies on. Mines considerably cheaper though! And more flexible in terms of cartridge matching...

Steve,

The P-75 Mk II is very good, but not quite at the level as a Rega Ios, an ex-dem unit of which I accidentally bought.*

I'd be interested in hearing Jez's modified phono amp, as it sounds like it's a stunner for the money, as well as the Pure Audio stage and many other über stages, but we're all limited to what's available nearby. So if you like the Pure Audio and it's affordable,...

Joe

* Long story but it involves tripping on the carpet at my dealer's shop and accidentally landing card first in the swiper.

I cannot see me 'accidentally' buying the PureAudio but I can see me eventually buying one - unless I can manage to score a demo of the DV L300/P300 combo and decide to change my direction entirely.

This is not entirely impossible as I am currently angling towards testing an HX100 as a replacement for my 250, although getting my hands on a HX100 is a bit of a challenge. All on the long term plan anyway, so much could change.

Also, I have put my booking in for a demo of the P-75MK3 when it is available (shortly apparently).

I believe the Pure Audio phono stage is exported but I am not sure where to (but could find out I immagine, if you were interested). It will need to be exported as I doubt the NZ market would cover the costs of producing it.

Definately worth a demo if you can get your hands on one. Here it is just slightly cheaper than a Superline but of course by the time you add a PSU to the Superline that comparison is way out the window.

Steve

Steve,

The Ios is an exceptional phono preamp, but I wouldn't have been able to afford one were it not for the great price my dealer offered it to me.

I'm going to assume it's the best out there and invoke the ignorance-is-bliss clause. :)

Joe

I haven't seen much but then I haven't really looked. The dealer who leant it to me knows the designers apparently, so hopefully I can get something useful.

Steve

2. Not all competently designed amps sound the same. Sorry, objectivists, but that's the truth.

That may or may not be true for amplifiers, but a phono stage is effectively an EQ correction unit with gain and therefore sits in a different class. All but a few digital/analogue hybrid units have noise levels much higher than line amps by some considerable margin and the degree to which they follow correct RIAA varies between units. Also, some vary hugely at the bottom end as some implement whats known as the 'RIAA amendment' and roll-off bass, while others don't, and some use their own interpretation of what is 'right'. Others apply no attenuation above 20khz and allow all the supersonic muck and disc cutter ringing to pass into the main amplifier.
Matters are further complicated if the MC head amp section uses transformers as performance will vary to some degree due to load matching, and it gets complicated further with Dynavector since one of the operating modes effectively shorts the cartridge coils, again altering the output for a number of reasons including changes to cartridge damping.

Sorry subjectivists, but there are perfectly rational and objectively demonstrable reasons why your equalisers might sound different ;)

The ideal is probably to use something like the Joplin unit Simon recently tested which on the face of it seems to have a very high standard of basic accuracy, and then use software EQ to make it sound however you wish. You could likely set presets so that it sounds like a Naim, Dynavector, Heed etc.

Rob,

Sorry subjectivists, but there are perfectly rational and objectively demonstrable reasons why your equalisers might sound different
Yeah, but I'm hearing low-level stuff in the grooves with the Ios that wasn't quite there with the P-75. What's more, now I have knobs on the front I can twiddle.

Joe

Just moved from a Naim Stageline/HiCap to the P75 MkIII...........very pleased with results. I've not heard the MkII so can't compare. Using with DV10x5. I have noticed the noise floor is much lower with the P75 over the Stageline.

Just moved from a Naim Stageline/HiCap to the P75 MkIII...........very pleased with results. I've not heard the MkII so can't compare. Using with DV10x5. I have noticed the noise floor is much lower with the P75 over the Stageline.

I think I might be joining you. I had a MK1, then MK2 (as well as P300) a few years ago but have been slumming it with an MF-VLPS for a while now. Strangely I have hardly listened to records for an age. Time to wake my XX2ii up again :)

Steve do you have any details of the circuit used in that fine looking phonostage?

The dealer passed my request for more info on the the desighner (Gary Morrison) and he responded as below, including a picture of a partly assembled unit. This may, or may not, be what you were wanting.

"Our product differs from those at the affordable end of the market by being entirely discrete, using specific audio quality parts, being dual mono, and by focusing in great detail on the ground and power supply design. We are subjectivist in our ultimate evaluation while using measurements to verify our design technical goals are met.

In contrast, most of the entry level phono stages, Dynavector P75 included, are opamp based, and have very little sophistication in their power supply. (The P75 has, I understand, a small switching power supply fed from an external "wall-wart") None of this is wrong, and the opamp approach allows low manufacturing costs, but we have found that we cannot get the sonic results we are after with opamp designs.

Our circuit is based around J-Fets, and the input design offers a very low noise. The left and right channels are fully isolated on separate circuit boards, one above the other inside the case. Each channel has its own independent power supply, and we use quite a large toroidal transformer.

Chassis construction is from 3mm thick aluminium below, and 5mm aluminium with stainless mesh above. It is quite non resonant, important when the input signal is so low.

I have attached a picture of one of our units in the first stage of assembly. This signal is confined to the area bottom left to centre, the rest is power supply and control circuitry."

Vinyl_Assembly.jpg

Steve

advertisement

Back