advertisement

Dynavector P-75 Mark III

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
Apparently the Mark III version of the P-75 phono amp is out, but there's no mention of it on Dynavector's website.

Anyone heard one or compared it with the Mark II?

Joe

I'd missed the release of the Mk3, although a couple of dealers have announced it on pfm. I found this on the Australian website.

I'd be interested to compare it with my Mk2 but not done so yet.

Damian

Damian,

Thanks. I've not been able to find a review online, but the press release on the site you linked to says the Mark III is more configurable and lower noise than the previous version.

Joe

It is very good, I don't have a mark II here at the moment to compare it to, but if anyone would like to make that comparison,they are welcome to borrow a unit.
Keith.

On a related note, has anyone compared the Dynavector P-75 to a Rega Ios, the regular version not the new reference one?

Don't ask why I'd like to know. Insane thoughts have entered my head.

Joe

has anyone compared the Dynavector P-75 to a Rega Ios, the regular version not the new reference one?

I've never heard a Rega Ios, but have heard great things about it. So many phono stages to choose from, so little time...

Interestingly, Dynavector don't seem to be making any great claims for superior sound quality for the P75 MkIII. Which is surprising, given that they have made meaningful changes to the design that could make a noticeable difference to performance.

The P75 is amazing with my DV-XX2 Mk2 but I think the cartridge is capable of more. I had been saving up for a Naim Superline but a thread on this forum a few months ago suggested that the P75 and Superline are on a par unless you buy a dedicated Supercap, which would make the Superline very very expensive indeed.

Now I'm wondering whether to upgrade to a P75 MkIII instead of a Superline and upgrade my interconnects to Vertere Pulse B to match my tonearm cable. The Vertere cable is amazingly good, although it costs more than the P75!

Damian

Damian,

I also have a P-75 Mark II with an XX-2 and it's downright sublime at times. But all the same I'm curious about the Mark III... and the Rega Ios, as a cheap one has turned up secondhand (ex-dem, actually).

I'd be interested in trying a SuperLine with SuperCap, but it's so far out of my price range it would be like my demoing a Ferrari or something.

Joe

The mk3 is a fair bit better than the mk2. It has a very similar basic sound, just more of the same. So if you fancy something different it won;t be the obvious choice

Jason

The mk3 is a fair bit better than the mk2. It has a very similar basic sound, just more of the same. So if you fancy something different it won;t be the obvious choice
I've still got the mk1 version. Would the jump to mk3 be substantial? I'm also pondering alternatives for sensible money. How does the P75 compare with, say, Heed Quasar in the context of an ARO'd Lyra Kleos.

James,

I thought the Mk I to Mk II jump was worth it, so if the Mk III is even better yet...

Joe

I've still got the mk1 version. Would the jump to mk3 be substantial? I'm also pondering alternatives for sensible money. How does the P75 compare with, say, Heed Quasar in the context of an ARO'd Lyra Kleos.

I have had those two back to back, the Heed is more sophisticated than the DV and has a lovely rich tone, I preferred it and a mate of mine made that change.

To be honest though the Kleos is such a good cartridge it really deserves better still.

I am currently using a Trilogy 907 which is in a different league.

James,

I thought the Mk I to Mk II jump was worth it, so if the Mk III is even better yet...

Joe
Might depend on what cartridge you were using. When I got the XX2 I asked the local Dynavector guru in Christchurch whether it would be worth my while upgrading from the Mk1 to the Mk2. He said with the XX2 he doubted I would notice any difference at all.

I imagine with other brand cartridges the additional setup options might have made a difference though.

Steve

Steve,

I also have an XX-2 and I thought the P-75 Mk 1 to Mk II swap was an improvement, but it's not a dramatic change.

The Mk II version is just more of an already good thing.

Joe

Steve,

I also have an XX-2 and I thought the P-75 Mk 1 to Mk II swap was an improvement, but it's not a dramatic change.

The Mk II version is just more of an already good thing.

Joe
I have just arranged to try out one of these, http://www.pureaudio.co.nz/?page_id=37, (once the new demo unit has had time to do whatever some electronics seems to need a few hours to do).

It's a seemingly silly price but it will be good to have a play with.

I have also toyed with the idea of trying a TKR (which I have also been offered a home demo of) but it is about the same price as that phono stage so if the phono stage offers significant benefit it would be a better VFM proposition than the TKR, as it won't wear out with use.

Steve

I have had those two back to back, the Heed is more sophisticated than the DV and has a lovely rich tone, I preferred it and a mate of mine made that change.
That's useful, thanks Mark. It's regrettable we don't have a Heed dealer or importer here. What does the Quasar + PSU retail for in the UK?

To be honest though the Kleos is such a good cartridge it really deserves better still.

I am currently using a Trilogy 907 which is in a different league.
Yeah, the Kleos is fantastic and I'm certain I'm not getting the best from it via the P75 mk1. I'll need to catch up with the latest phono amps.

advertisement

Back