advertisement

Dynavector P-75 Mark III

A loaner version of the Arkless modded 640P will be available very shortly if any of you P75 fans want to compare it.... you may well be quite surprised and save some money to boot ;)

Looks like I should have a P-75 MkIII to play with over this coming long weekend.
I'd be interested to hear if the P-75 mk3 gets a lot closer to the Pure. Otherwise, I'll feel your pain too.

I've long suspected my P-75 isn't doing my Kleos justice.

James

Might depend on what cartridge you were using. When I got the XX2 I asked the local Dynavector guru in Christchurch whether it would be worth my while upgrading from the Mk1 to the Mk2. He said with the XX2 he doubted I would notice any difference at all.

I imagine with other brand cartridges the additional setup options might have made a difference though.

Steve

Figured this might be the case with me having a 10x5 so just picked up an exdem MK2 rather than splash on the MK3. Very happy it sounds fantastic :D

That advice was comparing mk2 & mk1 for use with the XX2 where I think the mian changes were better layout and more setup options. With the mk3 it does not necesarily hold. Should know in few hours anyway.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes understood, I meant rather that your comment prompted me to have a similar chat with my dealer.

I asked if they thought the MK3 would make a difference in my system.

They thought not and given that I'd told them I'd purchase the MK3 if they felt it worthwhile I figured it was pretty fair advice. I'm running this via a P3 and won't be upgrading the the turntable beyond a simplex or RP8 in the future (and that's a while off) so figured it was a pretty good level currently and to take me forward.

Though be interested to hear how you get on with the MK3!

Cheers

Martin

I'd be interested to hear if the P-75 mk3 gets a lot closer to the Pure. Otherwise, I'll feel your pain too.

I've long suspected my P-75 isn't doing my Kleos justice.

James
I would like to say that the mk3 gets a lot closer to the performance of the Pure Audio Vinyl and that you don't need to think about getting a Vinyl. However that would be just to prevent myself from feeling jealous if you got a Vinyl before I did. The truth of the matter is, the mk3 gets closer but not a lot closer, perhaps 25 - 30% of the way.

Both units were in enhanced mode and powered off the Well Tempered DPS power supply.

The mk1 is now back in and sounding a bit less under control than the mk3, particularly in the higher registers. This was particularly noticeable with my changing them over half way through Icehouse’s Measure for Measure album being played at a ‘when the partner is out for coffee’ sort of volume. In fact I felt it necessity to turn down the volume a bit after the swap. It is of course possible that the mk1 has more gain than the mk3 in enhanced mode.

I don’t think the mk3 is any more musical then the mk1 but it is definitely more refined and you can pick out more detail in the treble. In comparison, the mk1 sounds a bit splashy and crashy.

So would I buy one? If I had not just last week heard the Pure Audio Vinyl then most definitely I would. Under that scenario, even if I had a choice between a cheap 2nd hand mk1 and a new mk3 I would still go for the mk3.

But I don’t think I will be buying one since, having now heard what my XX2 is capable of producing, I think P-75 mk3 would leave me frustrated and with a big glowing ‘what if’ sitting over the vinyl part of my system.

Steve.

Steve,

I'm not about to get the Pure Audio. It won't fit on the Mana.

I'll see if I can try the Mk3 at home. If it's 30% better, and I can find a buyer for my Mk1, then it sounds like a very cost effective upgrade.

James

Yes, the P75 remains very good value for money. I am taking it back on the way to work tomorrow - you might be able to get your hands on it before they sell it.

The Pure Audio machine only just fit on my rack so I could see the difficulty of getting it to fit the Mana. There must be other similar quality but smaller devices out there - but getting one to demo down this part of the world is the issue.

I would be interested to try the Naim Superline but I don't think they keep any lying about for demos. It is about the same price (on its own) as the Pure Audio but in a smaller box.

Steve

I got mine yesterday.

PE setting options remained the same; There are more "conventional" setting options now (gain for MM: 40, 46 or 50dB; load for MC: 30, 60, 100, 220 or 470 Ohms). According to th manual, other load values are available too. The devices are shipped with 63dB and 100 Ohms.

I immediately set the P75 to PE mode for low resistance coils. The device just does what it is supposed to do with my T-Rock and XX2-MkII: Acoustic instrument are reproduced naturally (small jazz ensemble). The soundstage is realistic (organ music). Female voices are warm and energetic (Kate Bush, Thelma Houston); and there is no lack in dynamics.

No surprise, that the first listening session was repeatedly extended ... to be continued over the week-end. My Stageline, which I still appreciate it, will have to leave.

a dca

Knowing that the P-75 punches well above its weight, I'd be keen to know how the latest iteration compares with the likes of the Whest Two, Heed Quasar and others below the fifteen hundred squids mark.

Knowing that the P-75 punches well above its weight, I'd be keen to know how the latest iteration compares with the likes of the Whest Two, Heed Quasar and others below the fifteen hundred squids mark.
Yes, £1500 seems to be a price point cutoff for phono stages. I've heard from others that the P75 holds its own with many stages below that point. And there are many to choose from. But the inevitable upgradeitis means that I'm now wondering what happens above that price point in terms of low noise floor and convincing resolution of low level detail... the sorts of qualities you only really get with high end equipment. Hence I find myself thinking about the likes of the Naim Superline and Tron Seven.

Damian

I've had the P75 mk3 in the system for a few days now and have just completed a task I have been meaning to sort for months. My old Mogami interconnects had broken at the fragile plug/cable point, so I needed a decent soldering iron to sort it out (gas power wouldn't remove the old solder), which I picked up today.
Just did a quick a/b with the Chord Crimson interconnects, then replacing them with the Mogami avec bullet plugs. Bugger me, cables aren't supposed to make a difference are they?
My original copy of Tres Hombres would beg to differ, I'm back to playing vinyl again :)

I moved from a P75 Mk I to an Avid Pulsus. Wow, what a great improvement. I'd highly recommend adding this to any list of potential phono upgrades from the P75. This comparison was with both a Soundsmith rebuilt XX-2 Mk II and a low impedance ZYX 4D.

I went from an EAR 834p to the P75ii and this was a significant improvement - which I hadn't expected. These little fellas definitely hold their own against much more expensive competition.

I'd planned on the AVID Pulsus next, funnily enough.

advertisement

Back