advertisement

Dynavector HX1.2 Prices

Whaleblue

Southbound
First off - Tony - this is tantamount to a wanted ad' so if you feel you need to move it into classifieds...

Anyway, having bought my L100 I am now seriously considering an HX1.2, but cannot find a great deal to go on regards pricing.

So, if anyone has bought or sold one recently, or has a better ear to the s/h HiFi market than I do could you give me some clues?

I understand the HX1.2 also comes in two versions - so any info regarding pricing differences would be particularly appreciated.

First off - Tony - this is tantamount to a wanted ad' so if you feel you need to move it into classifieds...

Anyway, having bought my L100 I am now seriously considering an HX1.2, but cannot find a great deal to go on regards pricing.

So, if anyone has bought or sold one recently, or has a better ear to the s/h HiFi market than I do could you give me some clues?

I understand the HX1.2 also comes in two versions - so any info regarding pricing differences would be particularly appreciated.

I seem to remember that these come in at around £2.5k to £3k if you can find one. I didn't so ended up with a Meridian 559 at half the price. Ping Mr P as he heard both amps and I think he preferred the 559.

Oh and I now have two!

Cheers,

DV

PS Someone who sells the new HX100 advised me not to change anything in my system. Good guy! I guess the HX100 may be different but better?

The HX1.2 seems to come in two versions, the later ones were more powerful (I think). I had a very late HX1.2 for a while and it had a pale coloured outer case. They are wonderful amps but it cost me well over 2K 2nd hand and I had to move quick to get it at that price. Do consider the HX75 if one comes along. I had a late one of those for a bit and it was rated at 100w per channel and IMO it completely outperformed a Naim Nap250.

DV, Just sold my 559 - long story!

Given that I like what the L100 does so much a DV power just seems the logical place to go to replace it.

D M, yes, HX1.2 came in two versions - the MK2 being black fronted, but otherwise grey, and higher output. I think it's a MK2 that would interest me most - the 559 was 300W!

The only evidence of pricing I found was a late MK2 being sold for £2600 last year on HiFi Wigwam. I could just stretch to that for a late model, but would also imagine early HX100s would be in that ballpark?

Can anyone confirm the current list price of the HX100? And when UK sales started? I assume the HX1.2 MK2 was discontinued at that time?

Aha - that's more like it - I could do £2K :) In the list of amps you ran up for me a while back, of those you have tried with the Obs, you preferred the 559 did you not? Or was that a VFM thing?

There are 2 versions. MK1 version is all black casing. I have one. Its the best power amp I've ever had , and Ive had lots and lots. Some top models too. To be fair to those though , HX1.2 retailed for more than all of them when new.
The MK2 version came out around 10 years ago I think. They upped the power on this. From 130 ish to 180 ish Watts/8 ohms. Front panel of MK2 is sort of black. Casing is a sort of silvery laboratory grayish. I dont like this look at all.There are photos on net.
Mk1 versions should all get first service at about 10 years. New parts and different type of electrolytics. Original ones were prone to leaks. After this its good for 20+ years ( I hope) normal use.Confirm with Pear Audio.
So , were I selling my MK1 , which I'm certainly not, I'd be looking for £1800 +/- £100.
Were I looking for a Mk2 , which I may at some point , Id expect to be paying £2200 - £2600 ish.
Prices above are only in my opinion of course.
There will not be many second hand HX100's at all. Not many have even been sold yet. I may investigate getting a brand new one in a couple of years. Would have to get a demo against my HX1.2 though , which I think I may keep for many more years , whatever else I might buy in the nearer term.

Cheers,
Mark.

Anyone who has heard HX1.2 Mk1 v Mk2 into Shahinian care to share impressions of the difference?

I've seen the battleship grey of the Mk2 and that doesn't bother me! I'm minded to hold out for a Mk2 given that the price difference does not appear to be huge, and we're talking about an amp I intend to hang on to for several years...

If you don't have any luck with sourcing a HX1.2, I can highly recommend a Densen B330 as an alternative. I see that one just sold in the dealer classifieds. Superb amplifier.

Lefty

Hi Lefty,

Have you sorted out new speakers yet? The Obs were grand while I briefly had the L100/559 combo into them!

Anyway, thanks for the input, for the moment I think I'll keep a focus on the DV, but time will tell!

I went from a 250 to Hx1.2mk2 recently (£2.5k- 2008 model)- the biggest compliment i can give the DV is that it totally gels with the Shahinians . Previously the tweeter units can sound slightly harsh with the naim but now they sound natural .DV take complete control and moves the presentation onto a new level :)- i was soo impressed with the Dv i purchased their L300 as well

Take your time get a good one

Anyone who has heard HX1.2 Mk1 v Mk2 into Shahinian care to share impressions of the difference?

Everyone waxes lyrical about DV / Shahinian, but they turned out not to be my cup of tea.

When I had L300/HX1.2 I tried really hard to like them with my Obs, but couldn't. Somehow the amps sounded shrill and brittle (I even had them checked out by Pear Audio, where John declared the amps in perfect order).

Once I laid my hands on a Mac 250W integrated, I never looked back. Perhaps the Obelisks do like a bit of welly, and I can't help feeling that the HX1.2 was never man enough to drive them properly.

But then again, it may just be my ears.

EDIT: just read the question properly - you were asking about differences between MK1 and MK2! Sorry, had a long day at work.

Have you sorted out new speakers yet?

I'm currently enjoying a humble pair of Q2020i :)

I was in denial for a while, but I think your visit to demo and pick up my Obelisks served to finally confirm that as much as I wanted the Obelisks to work, they were just too much for my little listening room. This was confirmed when after you left, I stuck the little Q's on the end of the big Krell and they actually sounded better than the Obelisks! (in my room) As such, I've decided that it's small speakers only from now on. I've learnt that:

Small, cheap speakers in a small room are better than big expensive speakers in a small room!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Obelisks. They are a superb speaker (in the right room)

Lefty

I'm currently enjoying a humble pair of Q2020i :)

I was in denial for a while, but I think your visit to demo and pick up my Obelisks served to finally confirm that as much as I wanted the Obelisks to work, they were just too much for my little listening room. This was confirmed when after you left, I stuck the little Q's on the end of the big Krell and they actually sounded better than the Obelisks! (in my room) As such, I've decided that it's small speakers only from now on. I've learnt that:

Small, cheap speakers in a small room are better than big expensive speakers in a small room!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Obelisks. They are a superb speaker (in the right room)

Lefty

Yes, I was in two minds about the Obs in the demo, but felt quite sure it was room interaction that was your issue with them. Certainly they sound nothing like they did in your room here in my lounge!

Small speakers can sound magnificent - as it happens when I bought my NDX from Wayne (wazza69) he demo'd it in the smallish room he'd set his kit up in, with small stand mounts, and I was very impressed. Can't remember what they were though.

I am, however, still rather envious of your dedicated listening room!

Aha - that's more like it - I could do £2K :) In the list of amps you ran up for me a while back, of those you have tried with the Obs, you preferred the 559 did you not? Or was that a VFM thing?

Audio memory is always difficult but as best I can remember

HX1.2 = meridian 557

557 is a third of the price

559 is better and still cheaper

Classe CT/CP 2300 better still and still cheaper.

Do not foresee changing the Classe anytime soon, but I've said that before.

advertisement

Back