advertisement

Dynavector HX1.2 Prices

Anyone who has heard HX1.2 Mk1 v Mk2 into Shahinian care to share impressions of the difference?

I've seen the battleship grey of the Mk2 and that doesn't bother me! I'm minded to hold out for a Mk2 given that the price difference does not appear to be huge, and we're talking about an amp I intend to hang on to for several years...

Mk 2 is a lot better - more power, which is important for the Obelisks, and resoles more as well. It is definitely worth holding out for a Mk 2. A mk2 won;t need servicing either.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks. That's definitely my thoughts too. My biggest concern is that Neil's input might suggest I'm spending over a £1000 to end up with something not quite as good as the 559 I reliniquished!

Of course as Neil points out himself he did not do A/B testing on this, and of course his tastes/needs may differ from mine, but he was right about the L100/559/Obs synergy so I do trust his judgment in general!

Be interested if anyone else has had the chance to compare Dynavector/559. If Mr P (DV said he is such a person) is out there and would care to give his thoughts it would be appreciated. I won't PM him as he won't know me from Adam.

Jason,

Thanks. That's definitely my thoughts too. My biggest concern is that Neil's input might suggest I'm spending over a £1000 to end up with something not quite as good as the 559 I reliniquished!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that.

Of the many things you can say about Dynavector amps, one is certainly that they hold their value amazingly well. If, after three or six months, you decide it's not for you, at worst., you'll almost certainly move it on for next to no loss.

Obviously, as you say, tastes differ, but I've never heard a Meridian setup that I could live with, however, I'm confident I could live with DV amps. Whether they'd improve my enjoyment enough over what I've got to tempt me to drop the money on them, I'm hoping to establish in the next few months.

Chris

Jason,

Of course as Neil points out himself he did not do A/B testing on this, and of course his tastes/needs may differ from mine, but he was right about the L100/559/Obs synergy so I do trust his judgment in general!

Be interested if anyone else has had the chance to compare Dynavector/559. If Mr P (DV said he is such a person) is out there and would care to give his thoughts it would be appreciated. I won't PM him as he won't know me from Adam.

Apologies I thought you already knew - its Mr Perceptive.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/member.php?u=101

Oh and I have two 559s each set to bridged mode............

Apparently a big Passlabs amp is even better but they work in Class A = big/heavy/hot and steep lecky bills. Also silver and thats a big no no over here as it clashes with the oak/brass/gold decore.

Cheers,

DV

Apologies I thought you already knew - its Mr Perceptive.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/member.php?u=101

Oh and I have two 559s each set to bridged mode............

Apparently a big Passlabs amp is even better but they work in Class A = big/heavy/hot and steep lecky bills. Also silver and thats a big no no over here as it clashes with the oak/brass/gold decore.

Cheers,

DV

Ah, OK thanks. You don't NEED two 559s, surely one would do you! :)

Ah, OK thanks. You don't NEED two 559s, surely one would do you! :)

Well I knew the 559s could be bridged and I had this itch to scratch. The Obs certainly sounded better with 2.

So at 42Kg each I would like an alternative as now arfa ritus has visited I can no longer lift them and worry how my wife will cope if I go to that great gig in the sky too soon.

An HX100? well that can be bridged too.............

Cheers,

DV

I've responded by PM as well, but my views (for all to see):-

I've owned 559's single and multiple driving Arcs and Obelisks, but I did try my 559 against a friends HX1.2 on his Shahinian Diapasons, in my view there is not much in it, if at all, they are both great amps, but you could buy 2 x 559 for the price of one HX1.2!!!!

Personally If I had HX1.2 money, I would buy a Pass Labs X250 or X350, both of which in my view exceed the performance of either the Meridian or the Dynavector.

Another alternative is to use a Meridian 558 in bridged mode, it is a 5 channel amp, based on the same technology as a 559, but only 200W/ch

Hope that helps

Ive heard DV amps, a 559 and compared to my Zap250 amp built by Zener.

Did not like the 559 as it was bass shy compared to mine and i just thought generally not as good, more hifi than music (echoed by Simon Mears as was at his house). The DV he had was great and it had a certain classiness to the way it presented music but it did not better my amp. It was the one below the HX1.2 though, cannot recall which one.

So, if you are in the market for a new amp, don't discount Avondale or tweaked Naim power amps. Mine is Nap 250 boards with twin mini cap 6 boards and twin transformers. Walked all over the olive Nap250 which I'd owned from new.

Ive heard DV amps, a 559 and compared to my Zap250 amp built by Zener.

Did not like the 559 as it was bass shy compared to mine and i just thought generally not as good, more hifi than music (echoed by Simon Mears as was at his house). The DV he had was great and it had a certain classiness to the way it presented music but it did not better my amp. It was the one below the HX1.2 though, cannot recall which one.

So, if you are in the market for a new amp, don't discount Avondale or tweaked Naim power amps. Mine is Nap 250 boards with twin mini cap 6 boards and twin transformers. Walked all over the olive Nap250 which I'd owned from new.

Having owned 250 and with ncc200 boards as well - i can definitively clarify that the Hx1.2mk2 is in a totally different league
Naim amps do gel with Shahinian speakers - they like to boogie along - ncc boards bring a refreshing presentation (some may like it - after a while i found it tiring )

I took a chance buying a Dv amp (as i had never auditioned one) - Now i have completely changed my amplification and currently seeking new source

Dv is a match made in heaven - they bring out the full capabilities of the Shahinians

^+1

I have had a 250 and 135s both at the same time and got LesW to modify the 135s to stage 3 with the NCC200 modules. The 559 is in a different league. The Naims just couldn't properly drive the Obs.

You need to bear in mind that the Obs hover around 2 Ohms in the treble region where the ear is most sensitive and many amps are not happy with such low impedance and this will clearly be heard.

As for bass. Well even at low volumes you both hear and feel it through the concrete foundations of this detached house. Its one of the things that people comment on. If there is bass on the recording you get it - even the deep rumble of London traffic on some recordings!

Cheers,

DV

Having owned 250 and with ncc200 boards as well - i can definitively clarify that the Hx1.2mk2 is in a totally different league
Naim amps do gel with Shahinian speakers - they like to boogie along - ncc boards bring a refreshing presentation (some may like it - after a while i found it tiring )

That wasn't the NCCs it was the Kendeil Caps - swap the last pair in the Cap6 for Mundorf AGs - deeper/more 3D/no longer harsh. worth every extra penny :)

Well, I appreciate all the input, and I'm now just waiting for a suitable DV power amp to come along...

The alternative is to change direction completely, but I'm rather hooked on the Obs.

A bit fed up to be honest - I just want to be able to listen to the music and stop thinking about the bl00dy HiFi!

I'm off to bump my wanted ad.

Odd that as in Simon's system, the 559's didn't do it and he's bought a pair following your experience, was the direction I was heading in too. Until we did the direct comparison!

I'd be interested to hear yours sometime still - also have a Dac202 now.

Jezmond,

To be clear I only sold the 559 because I'd promised it - I was very happy with the L100/559 combo into the Obs.

I'm now looking for a DV as I'm hoping it might be just a little bit better than the 559, and make all the hassle worth it.

I'm terrible with names - and our PFM names don't help do they - who would Simon be? Is he happy with his 559? Apologies Simon if I should know who you are!

Sorry Vital, was responding to Vadars post.

I can't recall Simons user name, others will know. He had Obs too and was trying various combo's inc Passlabs. I expected to be bowled over by the 559 but simply wasn't, in a different room with different ancillaries who knows?

I had NCC boards from Les, but didn't like them, mine is far from harsh with Obs.

Happy to dem at any homes in the Sussex area!

Sorry to add that Simon did not like them, preferred the Dynavector. He's had a system change though and now has valves.

Ive heard Lotus's old system with his DV amps - that sounded very good and bettered mine at the time. That's what I'd buy if I was in the business of throwing money at my system, but I have other priorities and I'm happy with mine so that's all that matters for me.

Well, I appreciate all the input, and I'm now just waiting for a suitable DV power amp to come along...

The alternative is to change direction completely, but I'm rather hooked on the Obs.

A bit fed up to be honest - I just want to be able to listen to the music and stop thinking about the bl00dy HiFi!

I'm off to bump my wanted ad.

Actually, a totally different change of direction is the option that I took. I purchased a Electrocompaniet aw250 at a good price and I am chuffed to bits with it:) looking for a good pre to go with it and my young dac. Im not entirely convinced with the Electrocompaniet 4.8 pre which is the top of the range. I'm lucky that a dealer has let me one for a week or so. Still testing the water with that one. Maybe a dac as a pre is the way forward as I only use one source.
A different direction that I heard today was some audio note speakers. They sounded great, very open, detail and great bass.
I tried the hx75/L200 and was very disappointed as it seemed to run of puff pretty quickly, with it as was pretty easily bettered by a 82/135 set up that I had at the same time. I had avondale which was great but wanted more power. Tried a freshly serviced meridian 557 as recommended and it was lacking in detail and the soundstage was tiny. Loads of power though.

Good luck:)

Well, if one of the Pass Labs, Classe or Electro's comes up maybe I'll consider them. Currently living with the LK100 Lotus kindly left me with in order that I'm not musicless, so I must be patient and get the "right thing" for a fair price.

I've also contacted John at Pear Audio to ask if he could alert me of any DVs that come up.

Well, if one of the Pass Labs, Classe or Electro's comes up maybe I'll consider them. Currently living with the LK100 Lotus kindly left me with in order that I'm not musicless, so I must be patient and get the "right thing" for a fair price.

I've also contacted John at Pear Audio to ask if he could alert me of any DVs that come up.

Hi Ian, I have an Audio research VSI60 integrated that you're welcome to borrow as well now, its rather good ! Also a friend is selling a PR350 and I could put you in touch with him. More expensive but the last power amp you will ever need and one of the best I have ever heard.

advertisement

Back