advertisement

Dylan accused of sexually abusing a 12-year-old

Yes I get where you stand. The point IS that you are not a moral judge or a law maker, and those that are, disagree with you. I understand your stance and, now your examples are more specific, appreciate it, but that's not what law IS. It's standards that are acceptable for the society of the time to conform to. You have the intelligence to filter these and be choosier, but many others take them as face value. The law makers know this and therefore have set the 'bar' where it needs to be for the majority to be safe and well treated. You can't have laws that prescribe a code of conduct so safe that no interaction ever happens. You can choose to be more prescribed if you wish, but you can't judge those who follow the rules of those times as wrong doers. (Well you can, but legally, you have no rights to be thought correct).
Just wrong. Law is merely a framework, legislation is complex, what is considered good behaviour changes over time. As I said, just because something is legal doesn’t make it the right thing to do. Loads of examples of this which I am not willing to waste anymore time on.

We are discussing HISTORY. I can't make it easier for you to understand.
You have no idea what I think about the now of things. Times have changed.
As I said above, history must have context.
‘For every one girl who was abused, 100 were willing’, apologies for the paraphrase but that is essentially what you said. This has little to do with history & 100% with your seemingly misogynistic attitude. I am not going I t this any further so into the mute file you go. Life is too short.

He was apparently on a UK tour at the time.... yet we are on to page 12?

I find the puritanical, back to Victorian values, holier than thou hand wringing most worrying personally!

They'll be covering the legs of pianos and sending someone from the council to find out why you weren't at church this morning next!

No wonder music has died a death now that the mandated rider includes kale and quinoa bio yogurt, a bottle of designer spring water then an early night!

‘For every one girl who was abused, 100 were willing’, apologies for the paraphrase but that is essentially what you said. This has little to do with history & 100% with your seemingly misogynistic attitude. I am not going I t this any further so into the mute file you go. Life is too short.
Then I won't reply.

I think, the world needs less emotion and more impartial level headed analysis.

Jez I’ve a lot of time for you but there’s a lot of water under the bridge between you an I that I’m not going to go over but there’s people on this thread saying that a 12 year old is fair game as was asking for it.

The most recent posts from a guy going on about having hands down his pants is especially weird.

Jez I’ve a lot of time for you but there’s a lot of water under the bridge between you an I that I’m not going to go over but there’s people on this thread saying that a 12 year old is fair game as was asking for it.

The most recent posts from a guy going on about having hands down his pants is especially weird.
Now you see. Try actually reading the words in context of all the posts
Nothing of the sort was said. You made that up.

I'm beginning to get how witches got burnt without much of a trial. People can be a bit ...

LOL. I think 90% of 'life' is learnt outside the School gates.
LOL? Not sure I share your levity. Perhaps you can expand on how and from whom girls learn what you claim outside of school.

I would find it quite disturbing if you believe what you have posted.

Now you see. Try actually reading the words in context of all the posts
Nothing of the sort was said. You made that up.

I'm beginning to get how witches got burnt without much of a trial. People can be a bit ...
Your posts are protecting individuals who saw fit to abuse children because it was carried out when "we didn't know any better" which seems to be the basic thread of your posts. Laws existed in the 60's when children were abused at the hands of adults, as they do today, the attitude that it was ok to take advantage of a child, sexually has never been acceptable as far as i can see. As for there are 100 to very 1 child who are willing & mentally capable to make such judgements needs to be backed up. No child is willing to be abused, be it 100 years ago or today.

In this case both will have their day in court, if it comes to this & then the law takes over.

At the moment it is an allegation. If it is found to be a fact then we will condemn it. Your post suggests that you know the allegation to be true.
I have not used the individuals name anywhere in my posts. The allegation will be investigated. Simple as this really. The rest here is about attitudes towards historic sex abuse.

He was apparently on a UK tour at the time.... yet we are on to page 12?

I find the puritanical, back to Victorian values, holier than thou hand wringing most worrying personally!

They'll be covering the legs of pianos and sending someone from the council to find out why you weren't at church this morning next!

No wonder music has died a death now that the mandated rider includes kale and quinoa bio yogurt, a bottle of designer spring water then an early night!
So what are your thoughts on historical sex abuse of children.

I'm sure there are/we're underage girls, whose previous history I don't know, who have chosen to have sex with famous men, older than they are. Many examples are well documented.

But their willingness in no way makes it OK for adult men to take advantage of that situation and break the law. "She wanted it" isn't a suitable legal defence against having sex with a minor and will see them on the nonce wing and rightly so.

You're 15 she's 15, different story.

What an utterly depressing thread. I'm staggered that some members think sex with a 12 year old child is OK.

Unfortunately in the minds of a lot of men if a 12 year old is up for it, then it isn't abuse.

Which in turn goes a long way to answer the often asked question in this thread about why it doesn't get reported at the time, with attitudes seen on this thread is there any wonder girls don't come forward?

Just as we can only judge the Victorian slave traders within the context of the mores of their time, so we have to view the prevailing attitudes in the 1960s. We can say, from our current perspective, that they were wrong, and we won’t condone these actions now, but what do we do now that will be condemned in 2 generations’ time? Driving cars with one occupant, flying for frivolous purposes like leisure?

Not sure if we have had this before but Bob came to Liverpool in 1966. He posed with a bunch of 'ghetto' kids who left to roam when Everton played in the FA Cup Final. A real stunning, where are they now photo? https://twitter.com/FXMC1957/status/352051063664291840/photo/1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2007/01/10/dylan_inside_out_feature.shtml
Here we go. Lots of nostalgia. Nowt else.

"Chris Hockenhull found Bernadette Gill one of the girls in the photograph who still lives locally. She was able to remember the names of all of the other children.
Armed with Bernadette's information Chris managed to track down all ten of the children and persuaded eight of them to
return to the steps in Dublin Street they'd perched on 40 years previously to recreate the photograph"

Well given it was illegal then and illegal now, I think we can assume it was generally viewed the same way. Unlike say homosexuality which was once illegal but is now mostly accepted and not illegal.

The idea that f-cking pre pubescent kids in the 60s was thought of as ok is bullshit. Ask a parent.

LOL? Not sure I share your levity. Perhaps you can expand on how and from whom girls learn what you claim outside of school.

I would find it quite disturbing if you believe what you have posted.[/QUOTE
Trying to answer all this. Cav.
People gossip and chatter. Where did you learn about sex? It’s life that educates us, but if I observed correctly, school age girls do do gossip and rumour well.

Your posts are protecting individuals who saw fit to abuse children because it was carried out when "we didn't know any better" which seems to be the basic thread of your posts. Laws existed in the 60's when children were abused at the hands of adults, as they do today, the attitude that it was ok to take advantage of a child, sexually has never been acceptable as far as i can see. As for there are 100 to very 1 child who are willing & mentally capable to make such judgements needs to be backed up. No child is willing to be abused, be it 100 years ago or today.

In this case both will have their day in court, if it comes to this & then the law takes over.
My posts are trying to open closed minds apparently already clutching the noose. I pose alternatives to the image of the virginal sugar sweet child as an exercise in fairness. Look at your own wording. You repeatedly refer to abuse. I point out that females are as capable of a deliberate act as any man. I have NOT condoned under age sex, in fact twice expressed my concerns. What I have said is that men can be led by sexual desire and, putting 2+2, it happened quite regularly. If it has happened to an under age child against her/his will, that’s rape and if proven, the abuser goes to jail. If the child in question planned the act for gain, then it’s wrong on both sides. In an ideal world, yes, all adults should be responsible and honest, and yes no child should, until the age of consent be able to go into a sexual relationship without getting noticed and advised, but that’s not how we are. We are flawed. You are, I am and a lot of kids certainly are so, this stuff happens. Im going to sum my position then stop.
This is not Utopia. No ‘we should’ argument makes any sense. We are flawed. We are Sheep.
The law tries to protect the more vulnerable sheep but within that flock are those who don’t want to do the good stuff. And 100 more character flaws and on and on. Maybe, Dylan’s accuser is one such. Maybe not, but the possibility needs to be examined in court.

advertisement

Back