advertisement

Dylan accused of sexually abusing a 12-year-old

Howdy

pfm Member
You have probably seen this in the news
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/16/bob-dylan-accusations-sexual-abuse-lawsuit

The abuse was supposed to be ongoing for 6 weeks in April-May 1965 in New York.

Some of you may actually remember that Dylan was in England for the significant portion of the period in April-May 1965. Others may remember documentary of his British 1965 tour, D. A. Pennebaker's Dont Look Back.

Twitter user(s) have already established Dylan's whereabouts in April-May 1965:
https://twitter.com/venetianblonde/status/1427386653941936128

Basically, he was having concerts in west coast and Canada in April 1965, before coming to England on April 26th. He was in England at least until May 12th, when him and Sara Lownds went on holiday to Portugal.
Drinkin' white rum in a Portugal bar
Upon return to England he was hospitalized in St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, and latter recorded for BBC on June 1st.

On the unaccounted for time in April, Dylan and Sara were supposedly in California, which also shouldn't be hard to prove.

The story goes, that they were very much inseparable at the time. They latter married in November that year. And they should have conceived Jesse Byron Dylan around April 15th (judging from his date of birth, January 6, 1966).

I can't make any sense of these historical abuse claim tbh. To make the claim some 50 odd years after the alleged abuse took place; why not come forward sooner?

The point is that no woman should be told to shut up, about anything that happened anytime, and rightly so. Then it must be handed over to justice.

No problem for me, but I'd like to return to the time when people only got fired etc. after a judgment has been pronounced.

Frightened that they wouldn't be believed because it was Bob Dylan?
Taking legal action always takes a good portion of courage, no matter the cause.

I can't make any sense of these historical abuse claim tbh. To make the claim some 50 odd years after the alleged abuse took place; why not come forward sooner?

I can understand why many victims don't come forward sooner. That's why it was very upsetting to read the story. - Which is extremely weird anyway - what was 12-years old girl doing with a 24-years old musician in a Chelsea Hotel for 6 weeks and what were her parents thinking...

And most of the time the accusations are true. In this case the timeline seems unlikely.

Well he wouldn’t be the first musician to be interested in 12 year old girls, but I must say it doesn’t sound very Bob-like. Wait and see.

Perhaps good to read the report before commenting. Nowhere does it say she is alleged to have been held in the Chelsea hotel for six weeks straight.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/16/bob-dylan-accusations-sexual-abuse-lawsuit

“The lawsuit comes on the final day of the New York State’s Child Victim Act look-back window, which closed Saturday, 14 August. The measure had offered reprieve for adults time-barred from filing civil suits for abuse suffered as children.”

It baffles me why we are so indisposed to believe people who say they have suffered abuse. All the research shows that false allegations are a tiny proportion of unreported abuse.

Not trying to defend Dylan btw, more trying to be the devil's advocate. The question of good parentage and child protection remains, not that it would, in any way excuse the crime, if indeed it took place.

Perhaps good to read the report before commenting. Nowhere does it say she is alleged to have been held in the Chelsea hotel for six weeks straight.

But it turns out, that in April-May 1965 Dylan was actually being followed by a film crew most of the time, on another continent, or with his girlfriend in a different US state or on another continent.

It baffles me why we are so indisposed to believe people who say they have suffered abuse. All the research shows that false allegations are a tiny proportion of unreported abuse.

With this I agree.

I’m beyond amazed how few accusations have hit 60s and 70s rock musicians to date. I don’t know anything about Dylan, I’ve certainly never heard him named in such a context, but there are many other household names who I suspect will be watching this all unfold with some trepidation.

While not in any way ignoring a victims right to justice, it could be that there are an increased number of ambulance chasers prepared to take a punt based on a percentage of the outcome as opposed to an historical assessment that this action has little or no chance of being a fee earner.

Not trying to defend Dylan btw, more trying to be the devil's advocate. The question of good parentage and child protection remains, not that it would, in any way excuse the crime, if indeed it took place.

Not all parents are model parents. If it doesn’t excuse a crime why mention it?

While not in any way ignoring a victims right to justice, it could be that there are an increased number of ambulance chasers prepared to take a punt based on a percentage of the outcome as opposed to an historical assessment that this action has little or no chance of being a fee earner.

And how likely do you think a lawsuit would be to succeed without any evidence?

As usual a general mix of victim blaming & disbelief on here. Please think before spouting such ill-informed nonsense.

People who have suffered abuse often come forward well after the fact. A good friend of mine has spent a fair proportion of his career prosecuting such offenders. I have been a jury member on an historical case about 20 years ago.

He may well be guilty or innocent but assume either way based upon the passage of time.

advertisement

Back