advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8c’s

Cool, horizontally extremely flat, the target favoured in mixing/mastering, I have the txt text for the Harman curve, which you can load into REW if you want to try?
Keith

Thanks Keith I’ll PM you, I have the Harmon curve Lee gave me but it’ll be worth seeing if yours is identical or if there’s variants out there.

30 6
40 5.9
50 5.5
63 4.9
80 3.7
100 2.5
125 1.3
160 0.6
200 0.2
250 0
1000 -1
32000 -6

Some results from the above, goes to show the room and seating position is fairly decent. Really like these results BTW, think I'll stop here for while and digest the differences. I like the way it doesn't require any further fettling in Lanspeaker.

Left

Right

Still on a learning curve (pun intended) but I see what you mean.

The 'Harmon All Listeners' Curve Lee posted above is really nice, you should try it Keith and post your findings.
Can't believe I'm going to say this but In fact it might be nice for all current 8c owners to post their results :p

It's better than the 'Studio Curve' I'd set and compensated in grouped settings via Lanspeaker by adding 4db to Sub, Bass & Treble. Percussion and transients appear quicker/more aligned, plus the mids sound clean and focused.

They must be impressive. A third of the cost of your amplifier, made in the EC too, a bargain?

I embrace active operation and DSP though the available room correction is nowhere nearly as sophisticated as with the 8c's which are, unfortunately out of my range. At my level Chinese manufacture is prevalent though to be honest I am a little disappointed that the Formation Duo was not made here. The Wireless 2 is imho a bargain even though Chinese made.

I will follow this thread with interest.

Yes they are immensely impressive active speakers. If you take the time to learn REW and how the 8c's room correction works and dial it in well, do yield excellent results.

Reactions: RoA
They must be impressive. A third of the cost of your amplifier, made in the EC too, a bargain?

I freaked when I first auditioned the Kii threes based on positive PFM comments: They were >10K and no chance of a used pair at the time. However, having heard them, I had to have them.

When listening to them just a few days ago I said to my wife that, after 2 years + of ownership, I now consider them a bargain, certainly when compared to the cost of comparable performance from separates/non-cardioid alternatives.

I was at a dem by Ultimate Stream at the London "Indulgence" show a couple of years ago. I overheard the guys sitting in front of me stating how they preferred the Amphion Krypton 3 system to the Kiis, but that both had considerable merits. IMHO the most considerable merit was that the Amphions scaled 14K alone, excluding the plethora of high-end amps driving them.

I think active speakers have a distinct advantage regardless of room correction; they just give far more insight into the recording.

Doubt they would work in a room 4m x 6m? They are HUGE.
Reminds me of the Wilson Watt Puppies that I encountered in a chaps living room, even smaller than that. Strangled at birth...

Of course, a prime selling point for the cardiod brigade is that they correct issues found in smaller rooms. Given the OPs room of 4x6 and the fact that obs put out a lot of bass, and also like their passive radiators well away from the front wall etc., I'm very surprised that the D&D didn't murder them, but it is what it is. My obs sounded vastly better once I got them into a big room (6 x 7m).

When I had Obelisk's my room was 5 x 5 with and added bay window, which was great since my equipment racks fitted in there perfectly. As far as I remember, the speakers were placed approx .75m away from the front wall and I had no problems with the bass, they were powered by Naim 135's, unfortunately they let the side down in that when I turned the volume up, not to ear shattering levels, one or both would cut out. I kept them because I enjoyed the sound they made together, preferring it to Dynavector amps which I had a short dem of. Should maybe have tried Densen, but the timing was wrong, I'd definitely go for Audionet AMP1 V2 knowing what I know now, I think they would be perfect together.

I am now of the opinion that 'Cereal Killer' is a paid shill for hire by the high end hifi community;)

Bigs something up for a few weeks, then ditches it for the next in line;)

Hope it all works out

For sure Woodface, bigged up Audionet for a couple of years, wetted peoples appetites for Aavik, and is now doing the same with Dutch & Dutch, makes you wonder what will come next, maybe Butchers Choice dog foods. ;):D
Joking aside hope you get along with these new speakers, I'm sure they are an excellent option for many. Turning the volume up with many speakers in smaller uk rooms is were the problems start, it ok listening at lower levels, but once the volume goes up, any room anomalies are more easily heard, Dutch & Dutch along with Kii's are able to cope due to the settings. Give Lee his dues, in helping install them, appears another job well done.

advertisement

Back