advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8c’s

matfff

pfm Member
Spent a few days with these recently. Ultimately, they didn’t work for me in my space. They are interesting and clever and could be excellent in a smaller listening room. I can highly recommend Lee from Strictly Stereo if you want to demo. Courteous and knowledgable, he was a pleasure to deal with.

That isn’t a particularly large room and you aren’t sitting particularly far away, what was the issue?
Keith

That isn’t a particularly large room and you aren’t sitting particularly far away, what was the issue?
Keith
Oh, I’m not here to do ‘em down. Suffice to say, just didn’t give me what I was looking for. All rooms and ears are different!

What are your current speakers? Are they active and what will you try next? Thanks
Obs 2, driven by a CODA CSX, sources are LP12 and NDS, via a NAC 252. WH cabling. Very tempted to try actives again after this, my last active experience being Briks, powered by a 135 stack and associated xo’s and cables everywhere. Probably will try something from ATC as the whole idea appeals to me.

What made you go with the D&D and why didn't they work?
I know someone who had a lengthy demo and bought a pair. He’s ecstatic with them after years with Shahinians, so I thought it was worth a go as reducing box count has great appeal. I could never get them to image properly or give me the presentation and excitement I’m used to. It’s probably my room and ears rather than any fault of the D&D’s.

Reactions: RoA
I would think it will not be easy to find an active speaker (or for that matter any speaker) that images in a way yours do simply because of cabinet shape and driver arrangement.

It will take some acclimatisation regardless of what you choose.

I’m surprised that lee couldn’t get them working for you in the space described. One of the best features of my D&D 8c’s is their ability to match my room coupled with their superb imaging.

I’ve owned two pairs of obs2 along with a list of other speakers from Wilson, sonus faber, Avalon and boenicke.

I think I’d love a pair of these, the convenience of competent full range bookshelf speakers with DSP really is appealing. Still, too expensive for me (and I don’t want new stuff anyway).

Maybe you were just unlucky and were sat in nulls that EQ wouldn’t be able to solve.

I think I’d love a pair of these, the convenience of competent full range bookshelf speakers with DSP really is appealing. Still, too expensive for me (and I don’t want new stuff anyway).

Maybe you were just unlucky and were sat in nulls that EQ wouldn’t be able to solve.
You need a big bookshelf to sit them on! Chunky monkeys

Speakers are the most individual of hi-fi things, for me. Their character and differences is why there are so many options. I get why they were not for the OP, especially if moving from one style of presentation to another - it's what you are used to, and breaking from that isn't easy.

It took a couple of visits to really dial them in, but I thought they sounded super in Matt's room by the time we had finished. However, I did not get to hear Matt's Obs playing in this space, so I am not sure exactly what he is used to hearing. Something really exceptional, I assume.

This is a great example of why you need to home dem speakers. OP doesn’t have to like them & it’s his money.

I reckon he should try ATC50S active with CDA2 front end; he could be rather surprised.

Your other option is to upgrade your Coda CSX to the CX Monos. I'm sure your Shahinian Obs 2 would like that, but I'm suggesting adding boxes here rather than reducing them as you would like!

Your other option is to upgrade your Coda CSX to the CX Monos. I'm sure your Shahinian Obs 2 would like that, but I'm suggesting adding boxes here rather than reducing them as you would like!
Yes, I agree. Finding a pair is the issue! Great kit, I wonder why their not more widely known?

advertisement

Back