advertisement

Downsizing Dilemma

Mike, are you going somewhere nice?

HD.

Currently my wife and I are 'hoping' to move to China. However, I may not be granted a visa. If my application for a visa is unsucessful, our next choice of destination is Portugal, unfortunately we will then be faced with the uncertainty of my wife being granted 'residence' there, as she does not hold a U.K. passort.
I expect that some people may wonder why I should wish to move away from what is undeniably, still largely a 'physically' beautiful country?
The answer sadly, is that as an 'ordinary working person', having been able to enjoy living and working in countries as diverse as Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Holland and S.Africa, and now having been thrust into 'involuntary' retirement, I am hoping to spend my 'declining years' somewhere where I am able to 'live' rather than merely 'exist'.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

Currently my wife and I are 'hoping' to move to China. However, I may not be granted a visa. If my application for a visa is unsucessful, our next choice of destination is Portugal, unfortunately we will then be faced with the uncertainty of my wife being granted 'residence' there, as she does not hold a U.K. passort.
I expect that some people may wonder why I should wish to move away from what is undeniably, still largely a 'physically' beautiful country?
The answer sadly, is that as an 'ordinary working person', having been able to enjoy living and working in countries as diverse as Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Holland and S.Africa, and now having been thrust into 'involuntary' retirement, I am hoping to spend my 'declining years' somewhere where I am able to 'live' rather than merely 'exist'.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

I can fully understand that. If you don't travel much, its easy to overlook the fact that the cost of living in the UK is punitive. The UK is a very beautiful land with great people and there is much to love. But when folk refer to it as economically vampiric, they're not far off the truth...

advertisement

Back