advertisement

Downsizing Dilemma

mjkelshaw

pfm Member
Due to 'involuntary' retirement, and therefore need to move o/seas, have to reduce and simplify 'toy collection'.
Current 'set-up' is LP12/Lingo/Ekos/Arkiv/Linto - Kairn/Klout/Keilidhs (active) have to chose between O/Hauling / Upgrading LP12 & replacing Arkiv, to use with the above,
or using Loricraft 401/Rega300/Goldring1042 (unused since purchase in '98) or Resurrecting my original Thorens TD124 Mk2/SME 3009 Imp/V15-4
Proposing to use Quad 34/306 and either Celestion SL6 Si or Royd Edens with the 401 or TD124 decks.
Would really appreciate any 'thoughts' regarding suitability / long term reliability / ease of maintenence of my proposed pairings, and any recommendations regarding the best company to undertake the o/haul / refurbishment of the TD124.

I think both the TD124 and Loricraft would be low maintenance if overhauled professionally. I think you should use the Loricraft...and sell me the 124 :)

Richard

Why go overseas. In the end many regret it. There are some nice places in the UK. Better a small shack in a nice place with friendly people than a chateau in the sticks and a difficult language.

Sounds like you might be/was employed by a US based company. My old US based employer usually offered voluntary separation/retirement packages and if not enough volunteers went next with the involuntary packages.

Cheers,

DV

Have you ever tried the Ekos and Arkiv on the 401 or 124?

Why not overhaul the 124 yourself? Download user manual from Vinyl Engine website. Just re-oil everything as per manual and clean idler wheel and belt with alcohol and lint free cloth. Replace belt or wheel if they're knackered.

I think both the TD124 and Loricraft would be low maintenance if overhauled professionally. I think you should use the Loricraft...and sell me the 124 :)

Richard

My preferred 'plan' was to retain the 401, and to fund the o/haul of the 124 and Quad 34/306 by selling most of my other items including my cherished but now unused Nakamichi CR-7E, unfortunately so far this has not been too successful.

Mike

Why go overseas. In the end many regret it. There are some nice places in the UK. Better a small shack in a nice place with friendly people than a chateau in the sticks and a difficult language.

Sounds like you might be/was employed by a US based company. My old US based employer usually offered voluntary separation/retirement packages and if not enough volunteers went next with the involuntary packages.

Cheers,

DV

Unfortunately I already live in a very 'small shack' and as an Englishman, I now feel more welcome o/seas than I do in my 'homeland'.
As for employment, after 50 years in continuous employment, in the U.K. and o/seas, as both 'staff' and 'freelance, it appears that many companies prefer to transfer their 'workload' to 'low cost' centres.

Mike

Have you ever tried the Ekos and Arkiv on the 401 or 124?

Why not overhaul the 124 yourself? Download user manual from Vinyl Engine website. Just re-oil everything as per manual and clean idler wheel and belt with alcohol and lint free cloth. Replace belt or wheel if they're knackered.

I have in the past 're-oiled' and replaced belt, idler, 'mushrooms' etc., however after such a long period I feel the 124 requires a 'professional' o/haul.
It also requires a much more substantial plinth. which I am not skilled enough to construct.

ike

Unfortunately I already live in a very 'small shack' and as an Englishman, I now feel more welcome o/seas than I do in my 'homeland'.
As for employment, after 50 years in continuous employment, in the U.K. and o/seas, as both 'staff' and 'freelance, it appears that many companies prefer to transfer their 'workload' to 'low cost' centres.

Mike

Sorry to hear that Mike. We seem to have had similar experiences. My suggestion is to keep your current vinyl setup if you can afford it. I took my LP12 vinyl rig to Germany and back by car and ferry and it didn't go 'off' (I spent 4 years there during the last recession). In fact it hasn't been back to the dealers to be reset for about 10 years now and its still got the bounce. My dealer left town and the nearest is in a large town about 25 miles away and nowhere near to park the car.

Since then I have replaced the belt and the Valhalla by a Mose. My LP12 is 23 yo and still going strong.

You can always take some spares with you in case you are worried. I have spare oil, springs and grommets that I haven't yet needed to replace. You can get your MC cartridge retipped by ESC when needed and they ship worldwide. I keep two carts one in use and the other retipped ready for when needed.

And you'll still have the Internet so will be able to buy from anywhere in the world.

Cheers and good luck,

DV

I wouldn't bother with the quad 34 if I were you. Dunno about the 306 but the 34 wasn't their finest hour. I would have thought the linn amps far better, no?

Terry o'Sullivan at Loricraft is probably the most knowledgable man on the planet when it comes to Garrards and Thorens TD124s. He is also a nice bloke.

I wouldn't bother with the quad 34 if I were you. Dunno about the 306 but the 34 wasn't their finest hour. I would have thought the linn amps far better, no?

Steve,
I bought the 34/306/FM4, with a Rotel RCD-965BX and a pair of Celestion SL6 Si's when I was back in England with withdrawal symptoms, as my 'main' system which then comprised an Ion Obelisk 3/Obelisk 3X/FMT-1, Roksan Xerxes/Artemiz/Chorus Black, Nakamichi CR-7E and a pair of Royd Edens was sitting in my apartment in the Hague.
I was very impressed with the Quad/Rotel/Celstion set-up at the time, but after I mistakenly returned to the U.K. permanently, I traded-in the Ion as they had gone out of business, and bought a Linn system, but given the proliferation of new Linn 'models' and presumably the necessity to consign older models to the skip, I now wish I had chosen a different route.

Mike Kelshaw

Fight back and don't sell anything!

Zombie,
I have reached an age and a point where I have little to 'fight back' with, apparently the phrase "knowledge based economy" apparently doesn't apply to "Engineering" - it's cheaper to transfer the 'workload' to the Indian Sub Continent.

Mike Kelshaw

Terry o'Sullivan at Loricraft is probably the most knowledgable man on the planet when it comes to Garrards and Thorens TD124s. He is also a nice bloke.

Barry,
Following your suggestion, I have contacted Terry and apparently he is willing to Re-build / Re-plinth my TD 124-2, and I am due to see him next week to 'discuss' my preferred 'spec' and of course the 'projected' costs.
I'm not sure whether it's amusing, but the reason I bought a 401 from him in 1998, was that I had contacted him with a view to getting the TD 124 re-built after it had been moved between UK/Canada/UK/Nederlands/UK as I tried to remain 'gainfully employed'.
Thanks for reminding me to re-read the 'small print' on his 'web site'.

Mike Kelshaw

On a slightly different note: Let me know if you wish to unload the Royd Edens!

Thom

Thom,
If you are still interested in the Eden's, please would you send me an e-mail address by PM, so that I may forward the images that I 'shot' after unpacking them recently.

Regards

Mike Kelshaw

Barry,
Following your suggestion, I have contacted Terry and apparently he is willing to Re-build / Re-plinth my TD 124-2, and I am due to see him next week to 'discuss' my preferred 'spec' and of course the 'projected' costs.
I'm not sure whether it's amusing, but the reason I bought a 401 from him in 1998, was that I had contacted him with a view to getting the TD 124 re-built after it had been moved between UK/Canada/UK/Nederlands/UK as I tried to remain 'gainfully employed'.
Thanks for reminding me to re-read the 'small print' on his 'web site'.

Mike Kelshaw
Hi Mike, I have just seen this. Please say hello to Terry from me, and tell him I am holding him personally responsible for your customer satisfaction as I recommended you! :)

advertisement

Back