advertisement

Downsize multiple boxes to a single (Hegel H590) box?

I agree with amplifying analogue audio signals and to a lesser degree with converting digital audio to analogue. Not sure IIRC how we moved digital audio "across a network decades ago" (>20 years), or how we will do it in the decades to come. Perhaps we will do it wirelessly, but I am sure the Hegel can be upgraded accordingly.

TCP/IP over Ethernet has been a global standard for better than 20 years. The technology is actually much older than that. It will still be around 20 years from now. Today's DACs work with the same bitstreams as converters from the 70s and 80s.

Just five years? I would expect a product selling for 9k UKP will "do well" for a lot longer than that.

Much longer than that I expect. I used five years because that's the number Per chose.

Perhaps you have a different definition of minimalist - I didn't mean it in the sense of power, but WRT box count which is relevant for the OP.

This was a little tongue in cheek. I understand your point completely.

Do you think MQA will still be relevant in five years? Or DSD?

I have no idea. They are both niche technologies today, but they both have their fans. A technology like MQA could become very relevant with the stroke a pen, if the pen belonged to Spotify, Amazon, Apple etc.

I agree, this is sensible. But again, the Hegel not having these features may be relevant for the OP who wants to cut down on boxes.

Out interest, how long do Hegel service their products? If the OLED breaks down in 5 or 10 years, will they still be able to provide spares?

It might and this is certainly something for the OP and any other potential owners to consider. This product will not meet every possible requirement for every customer, but you could say that about absolutely any product. What it does, it does extremely well.

There is no fixed time limit for service and repair. Hegel will continue to maintain products for as long as they are able, which means for as long as they hold stock of or are able to source suitable replacement parts.

Will it be worth more than 1/4 of RRP?

Probably more or less based on the H590's current RRP of £9k.

Personally speaking if I was buying for my personal use then I'd be looking to pay around £2165 for a new H590.

So, despite having a lot of sympathy for minimalist systems, I would also point out the inherent risk if streaming is involved, as I am currently experiencing some problem with my streamer. As it is just a standalone streamer, it can be easily and selectively replaced without having to change everything else. The same, to a lesser extent, goes with DACs: if, in a couple of years, the only way to enjoy high res streaming is via MQA (not that I am hoping for such a future), I can selectively replace the DAC, and only the DAC. I am hoping that I can keep the more conservative components of my system - pre, power amp and TT - for the rest of my life (big words, I know).

Thus I would advise against going for an expensive integrated amp with an integrated DAC, or (even worse, IMO) an integrated streamer, and keep these two functionalities in separate boxes, or at least in one box (streamer & DAC), separate from the integrated amp.
I share the same sentiment.

I also agree. I don't think it's prudent to buy a all in one box considering the probable obsolescence of the streamer/ dac functions in the future.

When in say 5 years time streamer tech has "evolved", why not just add an additional streamer to your all-in-one solution then? If it even becomes an issue.

As for DAC becoming obsolete - really, it will stop functioning?

What do you think will make a built-in DAC or streamer obsolete in the future?

Not too long ago PCM 24/96 was considered the norm. Then came along DSD, DXD and more recently MQA and upsampling to DSD 512...

I'd be very much surprised if no new norm (important or not) comes along in the next 15 years.

Not too long ago PCM 24/96 was considered the norm. Then came along DSD, DXD and more recently MQA and upsampling to DSD 512...

I'd be very much surprised if no new norm (important or not) comes along in the next 15 years.
And if you had a very good DAC that needs super hi res files resampled to "only" 96k, you'd still have a great sounding setup and probably not be missing out on anything in terms of actual SQ.

Probably more or less based on the H590's current RRP of £9k.

Personally speaking if I was buying for my personal use then I'd be looking to pay around £2165 for a new H590.

How does this comment help me?
The Hegel H590 is priced at £9k
So .... how would you buy a new one for £2165?
Is this a bit of back biting as you used to actively recommend Hegel and represent the brand, but now don’t ??

I think for most people 16 bit/44.1kHz PCM is still the norm and has been for quite some time. This piece supports DSD 256, 32 bit/384kHz (beyond DXD) PCM and MQA. That makes it capable of playing back virtually all of the music you can buy or rent today and for the foreseeable future.

I lost a £3.6k phono stage, a £4k pre and a £5k power amp and replaced them with a vintage integrated amp. I have no regrets.
A system that allows you to enjoy your music and enjoy your family seems a worthy price to pay. Priorities do change sometimes.

I fondly remember my old 205
Lovely blue color

I was more of a Fiat 130TC Abarth fan myself, then a Renault 5 Turbo and a Gordini Turbo 2, with a 'project' Lancia Volumex inbetween.
Wanted the Renault Alpina and Audi S2, ............ all classic hollogan cars :)

I think for most people 16 bit/44.1kHz PCM is still the norm and has been for quite some time. This piece supports DSD 256, 32 bit/384kHz (beyond DXD) PCM and MQA. That makes it capable of playing back virtually all of the music you can buy or rent today and for the foreseeable future.

Some people are now using upsampling to DSD 512. For them the H590's DAC is already obsolete.

About the foreseeable future I think that you may be lacking some imagination.

advertisement

Back