advertisement

Downsize multiple boxes to a single (Hegel H590) box?

Thanks all for suggestion and comments.
I should add - as I am having lots of family issues at the mo (80 yr old mother unwell & 15 year old son being a teenager) collecting hi-fi boxes, which is largely dick-measuring anyway, if of zero interest. I just want something simple, easy and good!

(Excluding turntable side if things... ) I recently went from 5 boxes to 2 and it is kind of liberating. Same kind of reasons too - easier for others to use and general lightening of the load.

Quad Artera Play/Stereo btw, sit one on t'other and like a single if big unit. Sounds superb.

Thanks all for suggestion and comments.
I should add - as I am having lots of family issues at the mo (80 yr old mother unwell & 15 year old son being a teenager) collecting hi-fi boxes, which is largely dick-measuring anyway, if of zero interest. I just want something simple, easy and good!

You're welcome. Hope it all works out. Family is everything.

I went through a similar process for broadly similar reasons and swapped a stack of olive boxes for a Vitus integrated. I even sold on the wonderful four-box Paradise phone stage because it stood idle for four to six months each year (so seemed such a waste) and replaced it with a Tron Convergence (itself no slouch).
If it was year zero I’d stream only to achieve those ‘clean lines and surfaces’ but I have too much of my life and money tied up in a sizeable LP and CD collection. If you’re also of a certain age and aren’t prepared to skip/sell it all you need to remember that you’ll still need the clutter of record and CD playing equipment to feed into the single box.

Reactions: Spd
Good luck with a sensible decision Badger, doubt you will look back and chances are you will listen and enjoy just as much if not more with less investment. Look forward to your report on the Hegel demo, very nice looking products.

Luckily my thousands of LP's and thousands of CD's have an upstairs room to themselves! The constant trips up and downstairs providing exercise....!

I went through a similar process for broadly similar reasons and swapped a stack of olive boxes for a Vitus integrated. I even sold on the wonderful four-box Paradise phone stage because it stood idle for four to six months each year (so seemed such a waste) and replaced it with a Tron Convergence (itself no slouch).
If it was year zero I’d stream only to achieve those ‘clean lines and surfaces’ but I have too much of my life and money tied up in a sizeable LP and CD collection. If you’re also of a certain age and aren’t prepared to skip/sell it all you need to remember that you’ll still need the clutter of record and CD playing equipment to feed into the single box.

I have a Vitus RI-101 here at the moment. It's a fabulous machine. As an analogue integrated amplifier, the H590 is not embarrassed in its company, but the Hegel also includes a genuinely excellent DAC and a basic but very effective streamer as standard.

Why not go further and stuff the amps / DACs etc inside the speakers aka Kii3 / D&D 8c?
I flogged my own olive boxes to do that and simultaneously reduced the box count and upped the sound quality significantly.
Never been happier: Everytime I listen to it I can't get over how good it sounds...and I had lots of olive boxes (and their chrome / bolt predecessors) for 40 years.

Why not go further and stuff the amps / DACs etc inside the speakers aka Kii3 / D&D 8c?
I flogged my own olive boxes to do that and simultaneously reduced the box count and upped the sound quality significantly.
Never been happier: Everytime I listen to it I can't get over how good it sounds...and I had lots of olive boxes (and their chrome / bolt predecessors) for 40 years.

Because I want to keep my existing record player (5000 albums) CD player (2000 cd’s) and I’m still loving the speakers I already have!

As someone with strong minimalist leanings I can understand the wish of the OP very well, especially if the current system involves 15 boxes.

In the last 2-3 years I tried several different system configurations, some very minimalist (streamer, PreDAC, active speakers), but now I seem to end up with something not so minimalist after all, 7 boxes over 2 x 3 shelves. After some deliberation I have decided to keep the turntable and my record collection (NB it is nowhere near 5000), as it is part of my digital detox process/ritual whereby all devices with screens and internet connections get shut down for an evening (crazy, I know) - works wonders for someone who spends way too much time in front of a computer due to his line of work.

So, despite having a lot of sympathy for minimalist systems, I would also point out the inherent risk if streaming is involved, as I am currently experiencing some problem with my streamer. As it is just a standalone streamer, it can be easily and selectively replaced without having to change everything else. The same, to a lesser extent, goes with DACs: if, in a couple of years, the only way to enjoy high res streaming is via MQA (not that I am hoping for such a future), I can selectively replace the DAC, and only the DAC. I am hoping that I can keep the more conservative components of my system - pre, power amp and TT - for the rest of my life (big words, I know).

Thus I would advise against going for an expensive integrated amp with an integrated DAC, or (even worse, IMO) an integrated streamer, and keep these two functionalities in separate boxes, or at least in one box (streamer & DAC), separate from the integrated amp.

Lastly, I understand the Hegel does not have a phono input? So that would necessitate a separate box again? Also, when looking at an endgame integrated amp, I'd also make sure it has a headphone output - you never know when that might come in handy.

All the best with everything!

Hi Badger, funny how some of us are on the same wavelength at almost the same time ! I have been thinking the same way as you recently and have ordered a Hegel h360 to audition. If it performs as well as every reviewer says then it will be a keeper! Downsizing starts here ! I wish you good luck with your plans !

How about a Japenese high end integrated from the 90s? - When they still had phono stages. And moving your records to your listening room!

As someone with strong minimalist leanings I can understand the wish of the OP very well, especially if the current system involves 15 boxes.

Thus I would advise against going for an expensive integrated amp with an integrated DAC, or (even worse, IMO) an integrated streamer, and keep these two functionalities in separate boxes, or at least in one box (streamer & DAC), separate from the integrated amp.

Even I have a Unitiqute upstairs I never liked the idea paying premium for multiple facilities into one box.
Certainly not something very very expensive.

Tech development never follow a similar time-line.
Looking ahead say five years...where do you end up?
Is item going to satisfy your demand?
Will it be worth more than 1/4 of RRP?

I have a Hegel H360 and it's a great amp. I listened to the H590 vs H360 at the Bristol show. The H590 was far better in every way but then again it's over twice the price of a H360.

Even I have a Unitiqute upstairs I never liked the idea paying premium for multiple facilities into one box.
Certainly not something very very expensive.

Tech development never follow a similar time-line.
Looking ahead say five years...where do you end up?
Is item going to satisfy your demand?
Will it be worth more than 1/4 of RRP?

The fundamental principles involved in amplifying analogue audio signals, moving digital audio across a network and converting digital audio to analogue have not changed in decades. A product which does these things well today will do it just as well five years from now. I would expect a piece like this to retain at least half of its original value over the same period. In that time, it will provide a lot of enjoyment. Integrated amplifiers are much more popular than separates in the UK and European markets. High end all-in-one systems with digital integration options are growing in popularity.

In the last 2-3 years I tried several different system configurations, some very minimalist (streamer, PreDAC, active speakers), but now I seem to end up with something not so minimalist after all, 7 boxes over 2 x 3 shelves. After some deliberation I have decided to keep the turntable and my record collection (NB it is nowhere near 5000), as it is part of my digital detox process/ritual whereby all devices with screens and internet connections get shut down for an evening (crazy, I know) - works wonders for someone who spends way too much time in front of a computer due to his line of work.

So, despite having a lot of sympathy for minimalist systems, I would also point out the inherent risk if streaming is involved, as I am currently experiencing some problem with my streamer. As it is just a standalone streamer, it can be easily and selectively replaced without having to change everything else. The same, to a lesser extent, goes with DACs: if, in a couple of years, the only way to enjoy high res streaming is via MQA (not that I am hoping for such a future), I can selectively replace the DAC, and only the DAC. I am hoping that I can keep the more conservative components of my system - pre, power amp and TT - for the rest of my life (big words, I know).

Lastly, I understand the Hegel does not have a phono input? So that would necessitate a separate box again? Also, when looking at an endgame integrated amp, I'd also make sure it has a headphone output - you never know when that might come in handy.

All the best with everything!

It is hard to think of a 22kg amplifier capable of pushing >2kW into a 1 Ohm load as "minimalist". It supports full unfolding of MQA content. It also supports DSD. It doesn't include a phono stage or a headphone amplifier. Most customers at this level are using MC cartridges which require phono stages with specific loadings. Hegel's view is that the best way to achieve that is with a carefully selected outboard phono stage. Hegel provides outputs to support a headphone amplifier. If you need a more sophisticated streamer, music server or CD ripper then there are plenty of options which can leverage the DAC built into the H590.

The fundamental principles involved in amplifying analogue audio signals, moving digital audio across a network and converting digital audio to analogue have not changed in decades.

I agree with amplifying analogue audio signals and to a lesser degree with converting digital audio to analogue. Not sure IIRC how we moved digital audio "across a network decades ago" (>20 years), or how we will do it in the decades to come. Perhaps we will do it wirelessly, but I am sure the Hegel can be upgraded accordingly.

A product which does these things well today will do it just as well five years from now.

Just five years? I would expect a product selling for 9k UKP will "do well" for a lot longer than that.

It is hard to think of a 22kg amplifier capable of pushing >2kW into a 1 Ohm load as "minimalist".

Perhaps you have a different definition of minimalist - I didn't mean it in the sense of power, but WRT box count which is relevant for the OP.

It supports full unfolding of MQA content. It also supports DSD.

Do you think MQA will still be relevant in five years? Or DSD?

It doesn't include a phono stage or a headphone amplifier. Most customers at this level are using MC cartridges which require phono stages with specific loadings. Hegel's view is that the best way to achieve that is with a carefully selected outboard phono stage.

I agree, this is sensible. But again, the Hegel not having these features may be relevant for the OP who wants to cut down on boxes.

Out interest, how long do Hegel service their products? If the OLED breaks down in 5 or 10 years, will they still be able to provide spares?

advertisement

Back