advertisement

Downsize DSLR

Simon,

Also, do the optical viewfinders zoom in when you zoom the lens?
Yes, the X10's optical viewfinder zooms as the lens zooms.

The alignment is not perfect, but what the optical viewfinder sees is a reasonable approximation of what the lens captures. A high-precision zooming optical viewfinder would be great, but it couldn't be be made without increasing the cost of the X10 significantly.

Like everything in life it's a trade-off: An electronic viewfinder is better for framing but much worse for seeing. An optical viewfinder is worse for framing but much better for seeing. Most manufacturers give you an electronic viewfinder because they're cheaper to make.

Joe

So nobody has experience of the Nikon P7100? It has a 1/1.7" sensor, optical viewfinder and 28-200mm (equivalent) f/2.8-5.6 lens.

So no interest in my offer to show you what I have in the relevant range?

Glad I bothered to offer ignoramus

Thanks for the offer Cliff, I just thought it better to read up a bit more before asking you to travel around to meet me.

I have an X-10. It's not bad as long as you don't expect it to behave like an SLR. I do think it's a shame the optical finder doesn't actually align properly with the sensor though as it makes accurate framing very difficult.
It's nice and light though and feels quite good in the hand.

I've deleted a bit of noise — including mine — in this thread.

Carry on, gents. :)

Joe / moderating

Cleansound,

Was your B&W photo a B&W jpeg straight out of the X100 or did you desaturate a colour image?

Joe

joe.

it is so depressing to see you as "the man".

if you come back to the fold, i will talk to mick about re-instating your senior member status.

vuk.

Vuk,

I was having a shitty week and it spilled over into this thread, man.

I promise to be more dude-like from now on and less "the man", man.

Joe

Cleansound,

Was your B&W photo a B&W jpeg straight out of the X100 or did you desaturate a colour image?

Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for asking, I actually switched to black and white in camera for this image, the Fuji lends itself very well to making quick selections.
It looked like an image that would work in black and the only way to find out if it would, was to take it right there and then.

I did sharpen up and added a bit of clarity in lightroom 4 as well as boosted the blacks ,however very little.

Not often one gets to be in Johannesburg at night, I will be doing the same this Friday evening at Critical Mass.

One more thought on this thread.

The D90 is actually quite a small camera, given the functionality. The real issue is that the Nikon Zoom lenses tend to be pretty bulky and heavy.

Sigma zooms tend to be slightly smaller and lighter. Changing the entire system isn't necessarily the answer.

Cleansound,

Thanks for asking, I actually switched to black and white in camera for this image, the Fuji lends itself very well to making quick selections.
It looked like an image that would work in black and the only way to find out if it would, was to take it right there and then.
I'll have to try a few shots with the X100 in B&W mode to see what I get.

I prefer B&W with film -- this is an area where I think all digitals fall short -- but mixing up chemicals, developing and scanning are quite a bit of effort comparatively.

Joe

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll read up on those Fuji models.

I actually already have an 50mm F1.8 prime and very rarely use it. I LOVE my 18-200mm lens. I can't imagine how anyone would be able to 'capture the moment' if they need to change a lens. I frequently use 30mm - 200mm. I don't tend to use less than 30mm though.

I'd consider keeping my lens and downsizing the body. To be honest I have some great pictures taken on my D60 with the 18-55 lens. The only thing I really appreciate about the D90 is better iso performance.

the 18-200 does some pretty impressive stuff for what it is. buggered it I'd lug one around, though! And clearly nor are you, if it's staying home with your d90 because of its collective bulk.

As Cliff rightly points out, the D90 is not particularly large. Don't overlook your 18-55 if you need to wean yourself off of zooms - it's a vastly under-rated lens, sharp as shit, light, and fairly compact.

Until I sold my 28 f2.8 (not a very good lens really) it saw a lot of use as a general purpose carry lens on my d70, and then d200 (with grip and 2 batty's). a nice compact prime saw me taking the camera out more often as a result.

the earlier suggestion for a 35 1.8 is a good one. how would you 'capture the moment'? zoom with your feet! Primes help you learn to see differently, too.

Have you thought about the micro 4/3 route? I got an Olympus OMD em5 earlier this year to replace my D80 and I am really enjoying using it. Its small and light and has imo excellent image quality. I tried the format a couple of years ago with a GF1 and kept the D80. Now the D80 is definitely going.

Until I sold my 28 f2.8 (not a very good lens really) it saw a lot of use as a general purpose carry lens on my d70, and then d200 (with grip and 2 batty's). a nice compact prime saw me taking the camera out more often as a result.

the earlier suggestion for a 35 1.8 is a good one. how would you 'capture the moment'? zoom with your feet! Primes help you learn to see differently, too.

I've started using my old Nikon 50mm F1.8 on a D70 for that very reason.
Smallest or strictly the widest lens in my stable at the moment is an older Nikon 26mm fastish lens. It used to be great with my old film F3, but is a bit 'in -betweeny' iin focal length terms on the digital body. Any suggestions on a good older (ie affordable) fast wide-angle lightweight prime to pair up with the 50mm lens ?

I use a D90 and the comment re: lens weight being the issue is spot on. I'd recommend a 35mm prime as a viable option, and yes, using a prime does force you to better consider composition, which arguably will make you a better photographer. The Nikkor 50mm 1.8 is a good cheap option too...in fact *cough* *splutter* there appears to be one in the classifieds.....

advertisement

Back